Status
Not open for further replies.

yamart180

Mod Ban
Feb 14, 2007
My friend has a 1999 XR200R that he blew the fork seals from putting the air pressure to high. we replaced the seals drained the old oil and put new oil in according to the manual. the manual says not to put in more than 15 psi of air in so we put in 13.
then we went on a ride and in the begining he went on 1 small jump and nothing happened. 45 mins later of just trail and field riding and the seal were shot up in to the fork boots while riding in a field. is there something forgot that would cause this? how can we fix it?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yamart180 said:
the seal were shot up in to the fork boots while riding in a field. is there something forgot that would cause this? how can we fix it?

Are you saying the seals blew out of the fork sliders and moved up the fork tubes? If so, you left out the circlips on top of the seals. Refer to your service manual for photos of the proper assembly. If you don't have a service manual, get one.

On the air pressure, I would not recommend using any air pressure in the forks. If you pressurize the forks and ride the bike hard, the forks will generate heat and the pressure in them will rise. Use the air valve to bleed off the air pressure before you ride. If you need the forks to be stiffer, replace the fork springs with heavier springs.

Just my $ .02

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please do not post the same topic in more than one place.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom