Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I picked up a 1984 XR500R yesterday. The price was right and I wanted to get riding soon. This bike is as near as I can tell identical to the 85 XR600R that my buddy owns. As an older used bike in pretty good shape it only has a few issues I want to ask about. I'm a pretty cheap guy so keep that in mind when recommending anything.

It is loud, very loud. The stock muffler appears to have the guts removed. I can see way in through the 2 inch hole. I have no need for all of the power and I like to be quiet so what can I do? Is the insert simply missing? Should I grab a thumper insert and expect quietness or is a stock insert cheaper and quieter? Does anyone in my area have a stock insert or muffler lying around? If it fits a 600 it should fit mine.

What are the standard sprocket sizes for this engine? I believe it is a five speed and the current rear sprocket is small. First gear is too fast and I want to find out what stock is and then lower the front by at least a tooth. Any suggestions? No need for me to ever exceed about 80 mph.

Did a front sprocket cover come stock on these bikes? There is none on this one but bolt holes are apparent.

The rear shock is competely shot. It's like sitting on a spring. The owner told me it needed the nitrogen recharged and that this procedure is fairly common and costs 34 bucks. Is this a sign of a failed shock? will it hold the new nitrogen or does it need to be rebuilt? Has anyone had to refill theirs?

The speedometer and its cable are gone and some of the material where the cable would plug into the hub has broken so that the cable can't be replaced. The wheel functions well and is fine as is. I need a speedo for enduro races so I plan on picking up the 70 dollar trailtech unit. Does this seem like the way to go?

The bike and power is very pleasant. I hope to enjoy it even more with more time in the saddle.

Thanks for your help

ThumperPower

May 12, 2001
Shock

Well i hope where you live a shock rebuild is 34$

I had an 82, with the shock unit blown, i priced out several place with the cheapest rebulid being 300, and a new unit for 700. I was able to patch it togeather to get rid of her though. i separated the remote line from the shock, filled the nitrogen canister with ATF, re attached, and put a charge of air on it, it was by no means a good suspension, but it kept you from getting bucked off by the spring. I did this mainly not to be a substitute, but to test and see if the seals were good.

Good luck

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Highbeam,
I blew the engine in my 83 XR500R this year. I have everything your talking about. I had the shock rebuilt with a new seal kit and a recharge for about $150 last winter. It also has the sprockets you need to slow that beast down.
It also has a brand new Cobra exhaust with K$N air filter(few hundred bucks). If you want to buy the old beast for parts let me know! I wasn't going to sell it, yet if it could help you out I let it go.

With it gone, I can lobby for a newer one:D

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Bsmith-I sent you a private e-mail. The limit on characters is 1000 so I'll finish here with some more information and questions.

Less important , strip type items that I will want are:
-stock hand guards
-stock odometer speedometer system
-stock odometer drive unit on the wheel
-stock tool bag
-the black chain guard to keep mud off from above.
-sprockets and chain. I have an 18 inch rear wheel so I was thinking 13:52.

How did the engine blow? seizure? How did you know when the shock needed to be rebuilt? Did it try to buck you off?

Thanks Bsmith and others for chiming in.

It looks like the thumper "Stealth" insert will be the way to go if I have to hunt one down. I am interested in being quiet. The shock may be the more immediate problem though. I'll have to ride some more and find out. I got the tabs yesterday and need to pick up some safety gear tonight. Then I'll give the beast some miles.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
You should see my PM as well.

You can have whatever you want if it's there.
I don't think I have the tool bag.
I'll probably keep the front fender, for and XR250, and the muffler. The rest is yours if you want it.

As far as blowing it- I put a cobra exhaust on last winter and when I took it out for the first time in the spring I guess the compresion was to high and it broke an exhaust valve. When the valve broke and fell into the cylinder, it did a lot of damage to the top end. It gave me 12 good years of service. It would take about $600 in parts to get it running again. At that cost I have decided it is time to move on to something different. I love Honda, but they are lacking in the 400/500 market. I think it is the season of the pumpkin!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
one more quick one

Is the exhaust or at least the muffler section on the 1984 xr500r the same as that of an xr600r? or any other xr? I ask because the parts catalogs seldom recognize the xr500r.

Thanks,

Joe

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Regarding the use of the Thumper insert on your stock system - You really need to get in touch with Thumper to find out if it'll fit what you've got - I believe the early RFVC 500 ran a closed-type end cap, and doesn't accept any type of insert, but I could be wrong.

The RFVC XR500 is actually quite different from the 600 - the chassis design is different, and the headpipe locations are also different (where they exit the head). So, unfortunately, a 600 muffler won't work - but you may be able to modify one to fit - although I'd do some serious measuring before spending any $$ on a muffler designed for the 600.

I would not recommend the Cobra system if you want something more quiet. Cobras are notorious for their loud exhaust note, and may actually increase sound over your blown setup.

Recharging the shock may be okay - but in most cases, you're right about the seals being blown. Normally you have to get the whole shock rebuilt - which is definitely about a $300 job. Don't cheap-out on this one. Rebuilding suspension is a delicate operation, and needs to be done by a qualified suspension guy - anything else is just asking for trouble.

While you're at it, rebuild the forks too - they'll just need new seals and oil and this is relatively cheap. If the rear is shot, the front is probably pretty mushy also, you just don't notice it as much because the back's so bad!

Check the filter - if it's the stock foam filter, you might want to replace it - for some reason these first-year RFVC's seemed to have crummy filter material that breaks down after 10 years or so. UNI makes a replacement.

The only thing that will kill this engine is bad oil, low oil, or old oil. Don't skimp on oil quality - and most companies do not recommend synthetics with in the Honda RFVC's (it is hard on rockers and camshafts) - I know there are many Mobil 1 fans out there - I'm sorry, but even the cam manufacturers tell RFVC owners to stay away from Synthetics. Hondaline and Torco make excellent quality petroleum four stroke oil. Change the filter often also.

The speedo drive on this bike always seemed to get smashed - it really sticks out there! You may want to just plug the hole and use an enduro speedo that doesn't run off a hub drive.

Stock sprocket sizes are 14/48. Yes, they did have a little plastic sprocket cover - and maybe even a steel case saver behind that - can't remember exactly.

Hope this all helps!

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
HB,
How is the parts bike working out?
Hope everything you needed was there!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Bsmith- I stripped it down and did most of the swapping that first weekend. The front end of mine is still in place for now. It is very nice to have a kickstand. The new shock is much firmer and I will need to ride it to figure out if I need to adjust it. I adjusted the valves on mine and will change the oil before any serious riding. I ordered a stock muffler insert from partsfish for 34 bucks along with a couple of little pieces that I need. The inside of the carbs on the parts bike were covered in metal flakes from the engine blow, that must have been a nice sound. It worked out real well and I just need to scrap the frame.

Top Bottom