shed

Dec 9, 2001
here an interesting problem that ive got with my '01 XR650(8000km). The clutch started to slip under power recently, and I finally decided to sort it out when I was struggling to overtake sportsbike riders on roundabouts cos I couldnt get the power down

I ordered a new set of friction plates which duly arrived and I set about stripping the clutch pack out of the bike. This is a piece of cake compared to the XR600s Ive previously owned since Honda have made the clutch cover separate like most dirt bikes now are. When I had the thing apart, I measured the new friction plates at 3.05mm thick, and the used ones that I was removing where 3.15mm thick, with plenty of depth of friction material left. BUT the inner plate has a much larger inside diameter resulting in about half the contact are of the outer plates. Inside this is a large diameter belville washer (disc spring) which to me serves no purpose other than to work against the four main clutch springs in preventing the smaller inner clutch plate being clamped properly. It was obvious that the clutch slip had been occuring on this inner plate, so I replaced tit and the belville with one of my new standard friction plates, and the thing seem to work fine now.

Anybody know why Honda designed the clutch packin this way? I figured it may be to encourage a certain amount of clutch slip to save the transmission from getting a beating.

Shed

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
To stop clutch chatter is my guess.

As a matter of course I’d make sure to scuff the steels up on smooth flat concrete & clean before reusing. I’d check the spring length as well.

Go over the roundabouts, that'll lick 'em

shed

Dec 9, 2001
What's clutch chatter?

some of the roundabouts around her are monsters, I guess if I got the speed right it'd be lik hitting a long tabletop! Watch out for me on COPs / police Camera Action, or what evere youve got out there!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Think the idea is to quieten things down a bit, perhaps promote even wear, you’d have to ask a Honda engineer.

Like most good stunts you’d probably have to cheat a bit by arriving early in the morning , building a discrete ramp & practising so you can pull it off nonchalantly the next time you happen to be running up the right hand side of an R6.
Oh yeah don’t forget which roundabout it is. :yeehaw:

Ohh, you are from Pomgolia! Yeah your roundabouts are huooge. Perhaps trade for a Husaberg to make the landings a little more palatable?

Top Bottom