(Yet another) Spooge Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
I know theres stickys and links for this, but I'm more looking for experienced opinions.....
The bike is a '04 YZ125, I live at an elevation of about 2000 feet. The bike absolutely rips, and has no running problems to speak of, though, like any 2 stroke, will foul plugs when ran at low speeds too long without "cleaning it out"(reving it out), though this hardly ever happens, as I tend to keep it on the pipe. My question is about the insane amount of spooge I'm dealing with. The stuff is running out of the collar, shooting out of the pipe, and even though the bike has low hours, I repacked the silencer, and the old packing was absolutely SOAKED with oily spooge. Too rich?? I pulled the plug(br9es) after riding, and although slightly wet, it was a golden tan, clean color. I turned out the pilot air screw to 2 1/2 turns to try to lean it out a little at low speeds, but that didnt seem to do much, though it did increase throttle response somewhat. What would you suggest my next step should be? The main jet, or maybe needle jet clip position? Which one first? The main jet thats in it now is a 410, though when I bought the bike they gave me a 400, and a 420 extra, and also another needle jet(not sure if different size from the one thats in the bike?) I was thinking maybe I should first try the 400 main jet to see if that helps?? Just wondering what has worked best for you guys when you have alot of spooge, even though the bike runs absolutely killer. BTW, I run a YamaLube mix at 32:1. Thanx for any advise you can give me!

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
at a higher evelation the air is thinner i cant rembember if you go richer or leaner. but the 32:1 is wat you want and if there is a lot of carp comming out of the pipe it might be time for new muffler packing.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=92818&page=1&pp=20 And many,many more! I do not believe that is the correct plug for that bike,it is not the reason you are fouling plugs,it will be the reason your topend frags though! You need to learn to read your plugs and to identify exactly what each circuit does and rule out any mechanical issues.And using the cheap plugs to jet with is a good idea,just no prolonged running on that welding plug!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
1st, Read up on all of the jetting threads you can find.

2nd, Start leaning your pilot circuit (this will take some time and some brass.)

3rd, Enjoy your increasingly crisp low-end; you will be amazed at how much you will gain! :cool: (I know from my experiences with my similar, '03 YZ125 at 1000'.)

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=92818&page=1&pp=20 And many,many more! I do not believe that is the correct plug for that bike,it is not the reason you are fouling plugs,it will be the reason your topend frags though! You need to learn to read your plugs and to identify exactly what each circuit does and rule out any mechanical issues.And using the cheap plugs to jet with is a good idea,just no prolonged running on that welding plug!

what? br9eg are stock plugs for 125's. br9es is cooler than most plugs. the larger the nuber, the cooler the heat range.

learn you facts before you start posting cr@p.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Stock plug for a 04 Yamaha YZ125 is a BR9EG, not an ES, although I highly doubt this has any factor on your troubles. You will need to learn how to jet the bike and you'll be fine, I can lug around either of our 2 strokes and never foul a plug.

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
95xr250----As I said, I just repacked the silencer, so that cant be it....

Chili---You are correct, I just looked and it is a br9eg, not es..my mistake. Also, I really never foul plugs either, I just mean that it will if you let it run too low too long.

So what jet would I try to adjust first? I just dont want to screw with any that isnt neccessary.

SpDyKen---- what would I do to the pilot circuit?? As I said, I already turned out the pilot air screw to 2 1/2 turns out, from the stock 1 3/4 turns out...helped a little with low speed throttle response, but not much with the spooge. Do you suggest changing the pilot jet itself, or is there another pilot adjustment Im not aware of?

Whats wierd to me is that the bike runs so good besides the spooge, perfect throttle response,especially at 1/4 to wot, and it readily gets on the pipe and hits like old school Tyson, though i guess it could be a little crisper at low speeds. Ive ridden for years, but new to jetting myself, so I just need to know which jet you guys would screw with first(the most likely culprit).

Keep it on the pipe,

Owens

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
SpDyKen said:
1st, Read up on all of the jetting threads you can find.

2nd, Start leaning your pilot circuit (this will take some time and some brass.)

3rd, Enjoy your increasingly crisp low-end; you will be amazed at how much you will gain! :cool: (I know from my experiences with my similar, '03 YZ125 at 1000'.)
I think you skipped step # 1

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Black helicopter been seen around here?Chili?New bikes are generally fat on bottom.They would rather sell you a bike eating plugs than engines.You can not sell a bike jetted for the whole world!The last time I changed a plug due to fouling had to be back when we were erroneously messing with cylinder volumes,mid 70's.Read and save the environment,say no to spooge!

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Man, just drop the pilot jet one size and reset your air screw, then see how it acts. This will probably solve your problem. If the packing is already soaked you will have to repack the can again, but that needs to be done from time to time anyway. Keep in mind that no one can jet your bike for you over the internet and don't blame me if this isn't the perfect answer for your spooge problem, read up on jetting, roll up your sleaves and go for it bro!

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
thanx alot griff!! some people just wont give us newbs a straight answer, thats all i was looking for! i appreciate it! I know theres threads and stickys, but for someone who hasnt really ever messed with the jetting, it can all be kind of confusing....not everyone is a master mechanic. so Ill try to get a leaner pilot jet and see if that helps. any recomondations as to what size i should try??

Owens

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I gave you a very straight answer. Can't be bothered to help those who won't try help themselves. Most would decipher your message as "I know the info is available to me but I'm too lazy to take the time to read and try to learn it so can someone else do my homework for me please."

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Owens187 said:
any recomondations as to what size i should try??

Owens
One size _______. (Now think, for a moment. Would that be one size smaller, or one size larger?)

Do your homework. Read; experiment for yourself; learn.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Your bike may indeed benefit from jetting changes. Just remember that spooge doesn't always mean too rich as far as performance goes. I can think of at least 3 - 2 strokes I have had experience with that ran much better when showing rich symptoms ie spooge and ocasional plug fouling. And believe me I went through the jetting completly.
My current bike , an old IT465 is a perfect example. It spooges some and will foul a plug occasionally, but lean the jetting from where I have it now, in any of the circuits (pilot, needle and main) and it looses power and or throttle response.
Just keep it in mind anyway.

Good luck

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
Chili said:
I gave you a very straight answer. Can't be bothered to help those who won't try help themselves. Most would decipher your message as "I know the info is available to me but I'm too lazy to take the time to read and try to learn it so can someone else do my homework for me please."

Uh.....as I said, I did read everything I could find, and like I said, its just all kinda confusing to someone who's never done it. All I was asking is what jet a person should screw with first, with the symptoms I had, thats all. And, anybody who knows me will tell you I am the farthest thing from lazy on the face of this planet, very far from it, so dont judge a person when you dont even know them. I'm not some punk kid who's gonna take anybody's "holier than thou" attitude. I'm a grown man who gives respect to everyone who deserves it, and I demand to be respected in return. I'm sure there was a time when you didnt know what you were doing....and how did you learn to do it???.....by asking and learning from other people, right? Or where you the only person to be born with expert 2 stroke mechanic skills? So, sorry Chili, Ill try not to "bother" you again, though I dont understand why you are on this forum, if your not here to help people without belittleing them because they dont have the "expert" and "vast" knowledge of bike mechanics you do. :think:

To everybody who offered me their knowledge of what to do, thank you very much! I put in a leaner pilot jet, and re adjusted the air screw, the spooge is gone, bike runs great, and the plug is still a golden brown color. I sincerely appreciate your help! ;)

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Owens187 said:
Uh.....as I said, I did read everything I could find, and like I said, its just all kinda confusing to someone who's never done it. All I was asking is what jet a person should screw with first, with the symptoms I had, thats all. And, anybody who knows me will tell you I am the farthest thing from lazy on the face of this planet, very far from it, so dont judge a person when you dont even know them. I'm not some punk kid who's gonna take anybody's "holier than thou" attitude. I'm a grown man who gives respect to everyone who deserves it, and I demand to be respected in return. I'm sure there was a time when you didnt know what you were doing....and how did you learn to do it???.....by asking and learning from other people, right? Or where you the only person to be born with expert 2 stroke mechanic skills? So, sorry Chili, Ill try not to "bother" you again, though I dont understand why you are on this forum, if your not here to help people without belittleing them because they dont have the "expert" and "vast" knowledge of bike mechanics you do. :think:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it's readily apparent from your posts you read none of the jetting links or you would have easily known where to start. You can demand respect all you want but unfortunately it's earned.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Owens187 said:
I'm sure there was a time when you didnt know what you were doing....and how did you learn to do it???.....by asking and learning from other people, right?

And to clarify my skills as a 2 stroke tuner are laughable at best compared to those that know what they are doing, but I learned by asking and then taking the advice offered to me and reading the provided literature. If I needed something clarified I asked for it to be clarified.

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
.......That post doesn't even deserve a reply........

waaaaaaaah indeed!

Obviosly you're just better than the rest of us.......

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
Chili said:
And to clarify my skills as a 2 stroke tuner are laughable at best compared to those that know what they are doing, but I learned by asking and then taking the advice offered to me and reading the provided literature. If I needed something clarified I asked for it to be clarified.

Exactly.... by asking and taking advice, I thought thats what I was doing...

and Uh, I thought I WAS asking for it to be clarified after READING the "provided literature"........

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
It was apparent from post #1 by you that you wanted a fast answer and someone to walk you through the jetting process step by step, this was pointed out by others in this thread besides myself. I just took a look at the Jetting stickies thread and while a couple of the best articles in there are dead links now it took me less than a minute to find a good article that led me through the correct process step by step, circuit by circuit.

I am here to help and I try my best to help all those I can, in a lot of cases that involves teaching them how to find the information themselves since anything you can think to ask has likely been answered here hundreds of times previously. The search function here is an incredible resource.

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
No, I was'nt looking for a "fast answer". All I wanted was advice from an experienced person about exactly which jet to try first. As I said, I didnt need to go through the entire jetting process, as the bike always ran absolutely great, I was just looking to get an opinion about which circuit would tone down the spooge a little so Im not out there killing the environment. Why completely re jet the bike when it runs great? I read all the threads I could find, I DID use the search function, and after reading it all, I was still a little confused. Sorry Im not a genius like you apparently are. So, after reading, I was LOOKING FOR SOME CLARIFICATION on which circuit affects the spooge the most, which other people didnt seem to have a problem with giving me. With the advice given to me about the pilot jet, THEN I was able to use the Threads and other information to do this process and get it fixed, BECAUSE I HAD SOME SMALL IDEA OF WHERE TO START! Thats all I was asking for, and didnt deserve to be slammed and belittled for it! You come across as very cocky in all of your answers to other people also, as I just saw a thread where you basically called the guy a retard because of the question he asked. If you're here to help, why have such an attitude about it? You make no sense, as you said you learned by READING, and then ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION for things you didnt understand, which is EXACTLY what I was doing!!!!! So why slam me for trying to learn from other peoples experience, on things I dont quite understand, which is the same way you learned???? I apologize for not being a jetting expert, I guess this is just the wrong forum for a novice bike mechanic to seek help on. I asked the same question on a competing forum, and got nothing but help and great replies, why cant this forum be the same? I just dont get it........

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Recall this thread? http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=111042

Seems you got the same advice over a year ago but hadn't taken it then either.

viking20 said:
Go to Eric Gorrs Forward Motion website and look for the general jetting guide.
You wont need to use less oil to stop the bike spooging.
Try adjusting the air screw a half turn at a time, out makes it leaner....If the bike gets more responsive at low throttle openings and spooging stops , then ok !
If you have to go more than 1-1.5 turns out from the std setting , change the slow jet for the next leaner size...
You may have to play with the needle and main jet too , but read the jetting guide , and you will be much wiser...

More great advice from DRN so what did you need clarified from that post?

Owens187

Feb 11, 2005
Well excuse the F*** out of me, if you really must know, after I made that post, and obviously before I got a chance to try to fix it(in 03/05), I sustained a right foot crush injury (not bike related) that required 5 surgeries, and almost required amputation. I was wheelchair bound for a year, and another year of physical therapy, debridements, etc etc.... (which is also why there is the same amount of time that I was away from the forum). So now Im just able to ride again, so I didnt realize I had asked that question before my injury. Still, you cant justify you acting like an ass and degrading me for asking for clarification on a simple question, try as you might. All it took was a few straight answers from a few people, and my problem is fixed. Why is it so hard for you to help someone? Why are you trying so hard to justify being a DI*K for no reason?? The fact remains....YOU SAID YOURSELF THAT YOU LEARNED BY READING, AND ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION ON WHAT YOU DIDNT UNDERSTAND, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS DOING!!! Yet you'll try to justify slamming me and calling me lazy an whatnot, when Im learning by doing the same thing you did!! :coocoo:

Last edited:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Sorry to hear about your injury. Not sure where I was acting like an ass or degrading you, I simply pointed out after you started whining that I had answered your question or at the very least pointed you very specifically in the direction of the answer.

As far as clarification versus wanting someone to do your homework for you this is what I see.

Owens187 said:
I know theres stickys and links for this, but I'm more looking for experienced opinions.....

Let's see those stickies and links lead to jetting info from some very experienced tuners but you want more experienced opinions? ie: can someone answer so I don't have to read all those links.

Owens187 said:
I turned out the pilot air screw to 2 1/2 turns to try to lean it out a little at low speeds, but that didnt seem to do much, though it did increase throttle response somewhat. What would you suggest my next step should be? The main jet, or maybe needle jet clip position? Which one first?

I guess this could be considered asking for clarification although from the question it is very evident you haven't read any of the jetting links or you'd be aware the next step was neither the main or the needle.

If you think any of my responses to you have been to justify being a dick you'll need to stick around a bit longer because I've got nothing to justify to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom