woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Dont know how many remember my "report" about the ticket I got going into Cedar Creek last year but this Wednesday is my day in court.
Bringing to speed anyone interesdted: I was pulling into the P lot at Cedar after finishing the North side and a CO passed me on the two-track leading into the lot. NO lights, NO body motions to pull over, NO horn - NO IDEA THAT THE CO WANTED TO CHAT so I continued on my journey. I went and rode the south side and when I came out he was waiting for me near my van.
Where did you go he says, went and rode the south loop I says. Is there a problem I says, let me see your DL he says. Show him my DL and asked again what the problem is. Riding in a closed area = you were out there on Linderman Road he says, but my bike is street legal and registered I says. SO he says, oh - ok I says. I am issuing you a citation for riding your bike in a closed area - which he did.. On the ticket there is a spot for "vehicle plate #, Year, model ect" that he simply left blank. At the bottom of the ticket he simply wrote "Kawasaki dirt bike" and wrote tyhe VIN #. In a VERY humble way I thanked him. I didnt tell him (definitly did not what to sound threatening in ANY way) that I would be pleading not quilty...
Read an interesting article in "Practical Sportsmen" and talked to an attorney about what I had read. He agreed with the article and advised me that false "misdeamenor" citations ARE on the uprise and that police/co's ARE fighting the new CCW law (if you have a misdeamenor you cannot get a CCW). He said that the courts are throwing ALOT of this tyoe of citation out but people MUST plaed not quilty and jump thru the hoops to get there. He also said that most folks dont bother - they just pay the 90 bucks and go on with life. - to much hassle!
Anyway, wish me luck as I attempt to find out what the heck is going on!!
Let ya all know how I come out (might wanna post a toll free # for a bondsmen for ol' Woodsy :)
Scott

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Though I have never met you I have read alot of your post and rode a lot of the same trails. I wish you the best of luck.
One time I got a ticket up north,I think it was Cheybogen county and to my surprise when I went to pay it the magistrate threw it out. I was suspicous and asked why, she said that it was a state officer that gave me a ticket for something that was considered legal in their county.(riding on a two track) Bottom line the county wanted us to go riding in the area and spend our money, and the DNR doesn't want us in THEIR Forest.
I have had some bad luck with CO's, and have been hassled when I or anyone else in our group did any thing wrong. The funny thing is in the seventies and early eighties I never had a problem with any CO's, I found them helpful and polite, and now almost ever time I run into one it seems like I'm guilty and need to prove my innosense.
A couple of year ago I was with a group of guys at Black Lake, I was probably on of the youngest guys there (39) I would guess the average age was about 50. There had to be at least 4 motor homes a van, a truck and a few trailers, a CO came into the camp an said I quote:WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND AROUND HERE!!!. Mind you this was early in the morning before even one bike was started and there was only one other camper in the whole park and we were far away from them. We road that day a left, when we originally planned on staying there for at least another night.
So far I have had good luck in all of our adventure in the U.P.
Hope to see you on the trail
DT

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Good luck Woodsy! It sounds like you've got a valid fight. I think that the Cedar Creek trail is on National Forest land, is it not? I know that Horshoe Lake/Holton Loop is at least. Does this make any difference with jurisdiction?

If you need a bondsman you might as well call my work number like a hapless sole locked up in the Newaygo County Jail. For 3 days I kept getting voice mail from this guy looking for a bondsman! Too bad for HIM he had the wrong number! :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for the "well wishen" guys! Got a notice in the mail today that the Trial date is changed - April 2nd is the new one.
The suspense is killing me, especially now that riding time is back upon us (this thing better not mess up my riding :) )
Woodsy

Top Bottom