Timshady_20

May 1, 2007
Hey all,

First off, this is my first post here and hoping to make it more. You all seem like a great bunch of people with lots of good info.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me the answer to my question.

I just recently bought a 2002 YZ 125 from a private party and when I went to register the title and insure it, the DMV report says it's a YZ 250. Is there an easy way to tell by looking at the engine or somewhere on the bike that will let me know whether it's a 125 or a 250?

Thanks,
Shady

register

Apr 7, 2007
Timshady_20 said:
Hey all,

First off, this is my first post here and hoping to make it more. You all seem like a great bunch of people with lots of good info.

I just recently bought a 2002 YZ 125 from a private party and when I went to register the title and insure it, the DMV report says it's a YZ 250. Is there an easy way to tell by looking at the engine or somewhere on the bike that will let me know whether it's a 125 or a 250?

Thanks,
Shady

register

Apr 7, 2007
Timshady_20 said:
Hey all,

Thanks,
Shady[/QU

It'll say on the motor the cc's

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Timshady_20 said:
Hey all,
Is there an easy way to tell by looking at the engine or somewhere on the bike that will let me know whether it's a 125 or a 250?

Thanks,
Shady
Yes look on the side of the job and it should either say something like 123 cm2 or 249.3 cm2 and you can tell. There is no need to run a VIN for such a simple concern. :nod:

Timshady_20

May 1, 2007
Thanks for the info, I'll look on the engine tonight. The whole reason the question came about is BECAUSE of the VIN number lol. You need the vin to insure the vehicle and when the insurance company ran the VIN it says YZ 250.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You should really run a few checks, just to make sure that someone hasn't done something really weird like put a 125 engine in a 250 frame. If it is the wrong size engine then it is probably the wrong year as well.

To confirm what DMV told you look at the VIN #.
the first three letters identify the Manufacturer: J for Japan, Y for Yamaha, (not sure of third digit)

The next 5 digits (digits 4 through 8) are the "Vehicle Descriptor" section. The second of this group (5th overall) should be a letter indicating engine size: F= 100-124, G=125-149, H = 150- 199, (skip I), J = 200-249, etc.

Once you establish what the VIN says it should be then I would recommend comparing what the engine looks like to the Yamaha parts diagrams. You can go online to a number of different locations to get access to parts diagrams directly from Yamaha. Do a search on Yamaha OEM parts and you will find several. Note that they all reference the Yamaha system, they are not implementing this function themselves. You ented the the vehilce "line" (motorcyle), Year, model (YZ250) and then go look at some distinctive engine part that looks different between a 125 and a 250.

Rod
If your engine doesn't match either one then change years and look again.

Top Bottom