Orangeman64

Jan 14, 2005
I just picked up a 2000 YZ 250(stock). I'm 40 yrs old, 250 lbs. Any special mods or adjustments I should make for mainly trail riding and "play riding", also a little messing around on MX tracks with(not interested in trying to compete).

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Orangeman64 said:
also a little messing around on MX tracks with(not interested in trying to compete).

You say that now ;) By the end of next season, who knows.

Suspension would be needing some work as soon as you are comfortable with the throttle. You are a 250lb'r & these bikes are built for 175lbr's.

If you are just putting around the field with the ladies then save your money, mods are not going to do much.

I'm in a similar situation. I just picked up a 2002 YZ250.
I'm, 42 and just getting back after a 27 year absence. I also thought I was going to trail ride so I bought a trail bike last year. I soon found out I like to fly, discovering I bought the wrong bike. Just sold the trail bike and on my way to pick up my "Honda Style" front break line. I can't believe how much weight it takes off by removing the hose bracketry.

Only thing I can recommend (which I’m discovering) is to maintain it. Brakes, suspension and wheel bearings, spokes etc. I’ve seen some scary rides last year at the tracks and some bad crashes because of neglect.

Pick up the manual for sure, even if you are not doing the maintenance. Very important to understand and the Fiche is online at Yamaha.com.

Have fun and ride safe…

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I second having the suspension worked on. It will help regardless of the type of riding you do. First things first, make sure the bike is jetted properly. Nothing is more aggravating than fouling plugs every 50 feet. A good set of tires and a good set of aftermarket bars are a must (I prefer either Michelin S 12 or Dunlop D756 tires depending on terrain and I swear by Pro Taper bars).

Aftermarket pipes and silencers are expensive and they may not even benefit you much depending on how you are planning on riding. Everyone will try to talk you into a pipe, but ride it with the stock pipe until you are really wringing the throttle. You will get better performance by simply jetting properly than a pipe will get you.

As mentioned above, maintenance is the key. Check all of the cables, brake lines, pads, tires, chain and sprokets, air filter, bolts, nuts, etc... You really don't want to get hurt because your bike wasn't up to par. I've seen some flat out scary bikes at the track that weren't maintained properly.

You chose a great bike. Have fun!

u8dirt

~SPONSOR~
May 4, 2002
One more thing, if you plan on any tight trail riding, is a flywheel weight. It will smooth out the hit and give you more controlled traction. Also will be less prone to stalling.

rlcowder

Jan 12, 2006
You should look at this manual for a 2000 yz250 on that funny selling site. Here a number that might help you find it. 4614191465 It has 3 days till it ends. That would get you all the info you need for maintenance. I just got a 2000 yz250 as well. I'm 35 I hope I don't get hurt.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom