bailey43

Jun 12, 2001
This website is such an awsome rescource for the newbee like me and many others!!
Before the summer began, i read a few threads about disconnecting the rev limiter and altering the exhaust cam shaft timing to match that of a YZ ( I have a WR). Can anyone help direct me in this process. I don't want to *#!@!! it up! but I am looking for a bit more power. I rode A YZ 250f this past weekend and it definitely had more to offer on the Higher RPM's. I figured these 2 mods would help. Anyone ever tried them??? How did it work??? I want to feel like this face on the top of my power band :scream:

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Bailey,

Just did the timing change on my '01 WR426. Not a terribley hard job, just take your time.

First off, have you changed the needle & jetting in the carb or are you still stock?? There is a huge power difference in getting a better needle & jets!! You'll want to do the jetting & needle BEFORE you do the timing change. You're not going to hurt anything if you don't, but you won't notice much if it's not getting enough fuel. Plus, the power increase from the needle may be enough to get you to the next level of performance without doing the timing right now. My bike flat hauls the wood...4th gear standing power wheelies are NO problem.

Where are you located and what is your elevation?

Scott

WRFjockey

Aug 29, 2001
Bailey.

Motoman 393 is right, while this is a great board, for the real low down on YZ/WRF250's you cant beat the combined knowledge available on thumpertalk.com.

I would recomend the following
1: remove airbox lid if you haven't already
2: Grey wire mod, costs nothing & is easy to do
3: YZ timing, a little more difficult, but worth the effort
4: Buy a vortex ignition ( check out the posts on THumpertalk on this)
5: if you still want more go for a pipe ( either a DrD or a Yoshi)

You still won't have YZ performance but it will be a better compromise if you're not using it solely for MX.

Top Bottom