kdxdaniel

Dec 8, 2006
I just got 03 yz 250 it is a little more than i am use to (KDX, xr) The bike has fly wheel weights and set up for woods. Is there any way to tone it down a little. the rear sprocket has 51 teeth I have an extra w/ 49 . Can i add more weight to the fly wheel ? Change sprockets? or chnage the reeds ? Or just stay off the gas I just don't want it to come out from under me.
any maintence suggestions would be helpful . . it has compression 240s
Thanks

B2600i

Nov 5, 2006
I feel your pain brother! I came off a KDX to a 04 YZ250 and was intimidated by the BITE also. I tried both a 11oz. and a 13oz. flywheel weight to tame it down. The 11 did very little but, the 13oz. really smoothed the power out and made it much easier to control. I've also rode a '03 that had a 9oz. weight and couldn't tell a difference from without a weight. I also dropped 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket to 13t for slow tight trails and am happy with the results. The bike is stock otherwise. For an engine that is designed for MX it has an impressive amount of low end grunt!

The weight I got is from MSR but I believe Steahly makes a 13oz. also. You'll be amazed the difference it makes.

kdxdaniel

Dec 8, 2006
is it tough to get to the fly wheel I kno there is a weight on it but have n o idea how much I think 11. Sounds cheaper to add a tooth on the front. went today and kind of getting use to stay in 2nd. what about the black gunt coming out between the pipe and sliencer is that due to jetting? I am running 32:1 or is it packing in pipe.
love the bike though other than the hard ass seat..
DC

B2600i

Nov 5, 2006
No, it's not hard to get to the flywheel. Just remove the four or five phillips screws holding the left engine cover on and there it is. Yes, the weight is about 100 bucks but believe me the difference between the 11 and 13 is substantial.

The oil drool is probably from all the slow woods riding. I dropped down one size on the pilot jet and still run 32:1 and get a small amount of drool. I can live with it.

HA!, yeah the seat is as hard as a brick. I've ordered a soft seat foam from Gutsracing and it should be here this week. I'll let you know how it is.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
If your budget allows, the FMF Gnarly pipe alters the hit as well. It smoothes the power and holds up to the abuse of woods riding.

Mark

kdxdaniel

Dec 8, 2006
I have kinda gotten use to it.. the fmf gnarly pipe is what i have. Is it hard to drop the pilot jetting? you do have to take the carb off ..yes...
Thanks for the info...
DC

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
DC,
The float bowl has to come off to access the pilot jet. It might be possible to tilt the carb at an angle (loosen clamps) to do this. I remove the carb for all my tuning. I feel it is safer, less chance of contamination. Wash your bike well before starting.

Mark

kdxdaniel

Dec 8, 2006
Thanks I going to try to find someone to walk it through with me i think my float needs adjustment it leaks out gas if I do not turn the gas off.
thanks
DC

Dekester

Jan 2, 2007
Trashrider said:
DC,
The float bowl has to come off to access the pilot jet. It might be possible to tilt the carb at an angle (loosen clamps) to do this. I remove the carb for all my tuning. I feel it is safer, less chance of contamination. Wash your bike well before starting.

Mark

That is incorrect. Both the main and pilot can be changed through the bowl drain plug. I would not undo the bowl for a jet change as the screws tend to strip easily. Much easier that way and no need to remove carb.

In regards to the leaking fuel, has the bike been sitting for a while? If so, the gas may have gummed up the float seat. Also, the float needle may be worn. These are more likely than the float out of adjustment.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i'd say the needle is bad or the seet is out of round..

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I have a 05 yz and I did some serious woods riding yesterday. I too think I'll change out my sprocket. First just seemed a little to fast for what we were doing. What do you guys recomend for a front sprocket? I just got the bike and Im pretty sure that the front is stock. I dont think at this point Im going tweak the flywheel.
The YZs are a real animal arent they? :nod:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
With fuel draining out of tubes.........you need to clean carb. Removal of carb is needed. Main is the 6mm hex and pilot requires a small flat-blade screwdriver. For future jetting changes, loosen clamps and tilt bottom of carb to chain side, remove bowl drain (17mm?) and you will have easy access to your pilot and main. If leaving bike sitting for longer than a month or so, drain out old gas in tank and crack carb drain plug to empty carb........gas does not take long to go bad a gum up.

Top Bottom