RC_Yz125

May 4, 2001
I have a question about the clutch on my 1990 YZ 125. If the bike has been sitting for a while and not run, and i click the bike into gear (WHILE OFF) and hold in the clutch the bike wont move, the rear tire locks and just drags like it was in gear without the clutch in. But then when i start it up and click it in gear i fear the noise of my clutch grinding out and its fine all day after that, What could be wrong?

RC_Yz125

May 4, 2001
this is really bothering me, it happens all the time. I don't know why. Also, my bike has beenhaving trouble starting up and I come to the point where I need to roll start it.

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
RC_Yz125 If I were you I would give Eric Gorr a call Before I tore into that Clutch he can give you ideas on what to look for. Can you see your clutch basket from the oil fill hole? If so look for grooves in the clutch basket they could be holding the clutch plates form disengaging same could be true for the inner hub. Also if you tear it down check that the whole assembly does not wobble as the bearing and sleeve that it rides on could be worn. (replace as a set) Good luck and let us know what you find!

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Drain your oil, and take off the clutch cover. Look for anything crazy, like flakes of aluminum and steel, lots of clutch bits,or if the oil smells like its burnt. Rebuilding your clutch sounds like a good idea, you might learn something, like the guy who owned it before you rebuilt the clutch with a basket off a harley, or put 3 too many or 4 too few plates in there.

MoToMaNYz125

Apr 2, 2001
[id say the same thing FMX novice said, clutch basket out of a harley on a yz125???;) haha i dunno about that one, but id drain the oil smell if its burnt if it is than your pates are fried, also check the cltch baket teeth if they got grooves in them the basket is work and you need to buy a new one

Feb 6, 2005
Well if your plates are grinding THEN eventually breaking loose it sounds to me like you might not have enough gearbox oil. Do you change it out often? you should. Also you may be having to push start it now because 2 strokes top ends go fast and you are probably loosing compression meaning you may need a new top end. You are REALLY sposed to do a top end pretty often if you are heavy into motocross. as for the clutch... check for notches on basket and hub and if ANY notches/grooves are visible then replace. I would replace the clutch plates as well because i bet you money they are worn. and last but not least, make sure you change out your gearbox oil frequently. After a full day of riding i change out my air filter, gearbox oil (10W 40 SL, SJ rated) and if I have time i'll also clean out my powervalve because that junk gets nasty no matter what. Good luck dude! BrAAAAAaaaaaapp!!! ride hard!

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
my 90 cr 125 has the same problem, but the bike will still feel like the clutch isn't pulled in even after the bike has been running all day.
you go to push and the bike just feels like its in gear. my clutch adjustment feels good . i do notice though it feels easier to [ush if the clutch pushed in,, meaning i can feel a difference but not much? i just put new clutch plates in and there are no notches in my basket. what else could it be?

Top Bottom