eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I have a 2000 Yz250 that I am trying to race this summer at budds creek in maryland in the 250cc C class. I am running 108 octane, prolite wiesco piston, head turned down 0.5mm with some adjustment on squish angle and depth, carbon reeds, fmf aof power ignition and I am going to set the jetting and suspension when I get the bike done. Is there anything else that is important to do to my bike in order to race and win without going crazy? Is my mods good enough with a lot of practice to qualify in a C class race?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would have made you faster, rather than the bike. In stock form, the engine will give you the most hours. You are not the first, nor the last to go backwards, especially in C class. Eric Gorr's book covers what you did, if it was done properly, and adds a flywheel weight for better traction. Practice on a large figure eight track, both directions, for a month! Vintage Bob

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I am looking in to getting a 7oz flywheel weight on it and also getting the hole shots also but will that keep you from wheeling when on the track or just on take off?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ha, the dreaded holeshot device. I am not sold on the device, at all. In theory, it holds your front end lower, thus reducing the chances of the front end coming up. When the load comes back down onto the forks, the device releases. My first gripe is it leaves the rear shock unloaded more, less rear wheel traction. My second is its weird having the forks lower till they release! People get used to darn near anything, given enough time. They got used to 4 strokes again! If a rider beats you its something they did to the bike? No, its more than likely the rider. On the mental side of racing, the gimmick works. Till a stronger person comes along? Vintage Bob

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
Budd's Creek what an awesome track!! raced there once in the vet c class dnf'ed my moto :| was pouring down rain so bad they canceled the super mini and expert 80;s they where afraid the kids would drown in the puddles I guess. while at the gate I seen the ambulance get stuck, the equipment that was sent to pull out the ambulance get stuck and then the course marshall tells us that all the off cambers are closed because they didnt want anybody sliding off the hill in a small mudslide. seen a lot of bikes and quads getting pulled out by a dozer unfortunately mine included, left it standing straight up on the track with the mud up to my cases. was still a blast had an awesome weekend dnf/ed my moto on the big track /they had a small supercross track that the clay they used was more slippery than an ice skating rink Imagine someone who has never seen ice, trying to ice skate for the first time and that was how the class I was in looked like. the first turn pile up looked the keystone cops out there, no one was hurt and everybody restarted so in my mind it was just hilarious even/especially since I was in the middle of it. then watching the pro's on sunday was just awe inspiring

1st race?....1st race at a pro track? don't worry about the equipment being older or non competitive in the c class, worry about it's maintenence and soundness so that the bike you finish with is only a 1/2 hour older than the bike you started with and not something you are pushing back to the pits.

have fun strive to be 1st and use the excuse that there are a lot of sandbaggers dropping a class or 2, wanting a trophy at a pro track if you don't do as well as you would like. atleast that's what I do when bench racing with a few sarspirrallas ;)

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I am hoping to go there very soon to start practing on there track and also going to blue diamond and snake creek to get as much experience on tracks as I can. I am looking at racing the 250cc C class dose this mean there are 250cc 2 strokes and 450cc 4 strokes or just 250cc 2 strokes and can I still race my 2 stroke there in august they have races for anyone to come out and quilify to race?

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
when I raced it the 250 class was 250 2 strokes, but it didn't really matter to me since a vet class is open to any displacement, I really am not sure what 250 means any more in MX since it has been over 10 years I was on an MX track and aside from the yz 400f it was still all 2 strokes.

not sure about any qualifying, no qualifying for me, went practiced, waited for my moto and lined up. c class is beginners class no qualifying but I guess if they saw that you were either a hazard or too fast during practice a flagger would either black flag ya or bump you up a class

Top Bottom