yz250f / crf450 Jumping compared to 2 stroke?

tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
I would like to switch to a 4 stroke. I'm 50% track and 50% trail rider and don't want to switch yet until I'm a little better rider. How are the 250f and the crf450 for jumping as compared to the 2 strokes? Easier? harder? More confident inspiring? what do folks think? Also, does the engine breaking make the bikes feel alot heavier?
Thanks for any comments.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey tmoney, I just went back to a 2-smoke from a YZ 400 so the differences are pretty clear in my mind. First and foremost, don't snap the throttle off as you leave the jump face, if you are anywhere up in the rev range the front wheel will dive in a manner sure to make your laundry bill increase, i liked to jump my 400 low in the rev range if the track allowed. In slippery conditions, I think the 4- stroke has a little less tendancy to get sideways on the lip. If its'a a larger jump that you're just gonna try for the first time, give yourself a little longer run at it, (I found I had to make up my mind earlier to clear larger doubles) and big singles or coming up short hurt more on the thumper, more weight and better suspension on my new CR. I think technical secions with multiple doubles and bigger jumps are easier on the 2- stroke, but that could be the newer bike too.:confused:

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
The 450 has very little engine braking. If you are accustomed to a CR250 the braking is similar. They designed it to engine brake like the CR250. Chopping the throttle on the face of a jump will not penalize you with the 450. There are a lot of jumps I just get enough speed for and coast over. Also, the power is both smoother and more torquey than the CR250. I went from an '02 CR250 to the 450 and found it less vibrational and easier to ride for long periods of time. Jumping the 450 is definitely confidence inspiring. I can basically seat bounce any jump on the track and launching from point a to b is a throttle twist away in whatever gear you prefer. I can use 3rd gear for the whole track with almost no penalty. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Top Bottom