spot

Dec 9, 2002
Any ideas on jetting recommendations for a 2003 CR250. I have two bikes, one is stock, the other has a VForce reed valve system & a bill's pipe/silencer. Neither bike has the correct jetting. The motor just doesn't run clean. I am about 500 ft. above sea level & the temp is 30-45 degrees right now. I have tried several different combinations of jets, needles, and even slides but have not found the right combination. I have been able to get the main jet right, but the bike is giving me problems at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. When I try to adjust the clip on a given needle, it seems to be either too rich or too lean. Please help!!!

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
my float was too high as well, I also went one step richer on the pilot and main, as it is getting cold here now. I am thinking of trying the optional needle that I keep hearing about, I also found the bike is very sensitive to the air screw setting, 1/2 turn can make a big difference! I think my bike is working pretty good right now, cold starting could still be a bit better, rest of the time the bike is great.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Guys, I plan on purchasing a 03 CR 250 in early spring. For those who gave up on jetting, if you don't mind what did the Keihin carb set you back?

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I got mine from carbparts.com I think it was. They send you the carb and 2pilots, 2mains, and a needle as well for I think it was 229. If you dont want all the extra parts, George at MXbike.com was going to sell me just the carb for 189.00. I am sure you could probably find a better deal if you looked hard enough. As far as getting rid of the Mikuni, I think I am going to keep it just in case. My cousin has an '01 CR and wanted me to keep it around for parts.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
hey ski, email me at jp2us@yahoo.com and let me know what jets you have, what condition the carb is in, and if you know what you want out of it, let me know how much. If not, I can make an offer.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Ski,
would you mind elaborating a bit? What were the problems/symptoms prior to the swap and how is it now? Any change in power delivery/amount or just throttle response? Excessive drool, etc.? I'm trying to decide what direction I want to go and any input from people that have made the swap is greatly appreciated.
I read the MXA evaluation (for the 2002) on the Boyesen RAD3 valve and exhaust flange. It supposedly cleaned up the response simply by bolting it on and gave it a "hit" in the powerband. Sounds good except for the hit. I'm always looking for more bottom and smoother delivery. They claim the PC pipe adds bottom without inducing too much hit, but I haven't heard any independent feedback on either of these.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 23, 2000
My 03 250 float level is all to **** as well. slightly lean the bike over and the petrol is pissing out of the overflow, also rock the bike back and forth and bounce it up and down and it does the same thing. when out riding its floods up when going down steep hills too. I have slightly adjusted the float level but not had chance to try it yet. what is the proper float setting? in manual it states the float level measurement is 15mm, but where do you take this measurement from? or is it just trial and error!

ski5503

Feb 28, 2002
rider007, i had jetting problems from day one! no one even the magazines wants to admit that Hondas are poorly jetted. i purchased several jets and did every thing except cut or replace the slide.. In stock trim and with every jetting change i made the bike had weak low end ,decent mid and good top end. the amount of spooge leaking from the carb covered the swing arm, not to mention the amount of plugs used to test the different settings... ever since replacing the carb its a new bike...IT RIPS!!!! you can change your stock reeds to a boyseen rad valve it will also help because the stock reeds are weak.. the only jetting change to the Keihin was the jetting recommened by manchester honda...it was minor something like a main jet and clip position change...I will look it up exactly if your interested..good luck

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Ski,
thanks for the reply. If you have a minute, the jetting you used would help. Mine is an 03 but it would probably at least ballpark it.
I've been trying to find out how much success people with the 03 are having with the S-8 nozzle and other changes. It appears the 4.25 slide from the 02 and the S-8 nozzle with some other fiddling may hold a solution, but how good versus the carb swap hasn't been cleared up for me yet. It appears to be a matter of some money and more time versus more money and less time.
It will be nice if someone comes up with a solution using each carb and posts them in the interest of spreading the Christmas spirit! :)

Thanks again.

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
ski5503
is the keihin carb you are using the same as the one off a 2000 cr250 ? i checked the service honda site and the complete carb for a 2000 cr250 is $143.68 . i have a 01 cr250 and the carb is a piece of crap , i figured i could swap it out with the 2000 carb and send the 01 carb to the local land fill .
i also looked at carbparts.com but they want $225 ?

ski5503

Feb 28, 2002
mole1, switching to the 2000 carb( Keihin ) is exactly what i did ..if you dont have a rad valve or v force you should also order the 2000 reed boot the carb will fit better... lets face it guys the 2001 cr 250 is an exact replica of the 2000 with a different carb,thats why the 2001 was available so early! both are great bikes . changing the carb for me was the difference between keeping the bike or selling it. iam glad i invested in the 2000 carb.i think i paid about $150 for the Keihin.other than the carb switch and a boyseen rad valve(Which i purchased hoping it would help prior to changing carbs) the bike is completly stock.i find that the stock honda pipe works well and is very durable. i know it seems like a big investment,but if you didnt buy a pipe yet ,the carb will be a better investment..

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Originally posted by Dickey Dirt Rider
My 03 250 float level is all to **** as well. slightly lean the bike over and the petrol is pissing out of the overflow, also rock the bike back and forth and bounce it up and down and it does the same thing. when out riding its floods up when going down steep hills too. I have slightly adjusted the float level but not had chance to try it yet. what is the proper float setting? in manual it states the float level measurement is 15mm, but where do you take this measurement from? or is it just trial and error!

Yeah, mine would piss fuel if the petcock was open and I wasn't WFO, no matter the postion. I measured 15mm from the centerline of the float to the base of the carb I think, like in the manual. It's kinda a PIA as the float wants to compress, make sure you have the float so it's just touching the float, but not compressing it. It's very important that the float isn't flooding the bike otherwise it just runs so fat jetting is meaningless.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Ski,
It appears that is PWK model from what I've been able to learn. Is it also the "air striker" model with the air foils in the intake bell? I think my only concerns would be the length of the carb to make sure it will fit properly between the airboot and the intake on the 03, and any floatbowl clearance issues with the case reed engine. Not having one in hand makes it more mysterious...

Thanks!

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I had the same concern. I believe it or not found it easier to make jet changes and needle changes with the carb. It fits fine, I just drop the case guard (3 bolts) and spin the carb. I like the screw off top better as well. The only thing I did was add a piece of foam to the case right below the carb and take an 1/8th inch off of the plug. I dont think I needed to, but saw it in a magazine and figured that it couldnt hurt.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
does anyone know why honda switched to mikuni after nearly 30 years of keihins?

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
mx547
slick talking mikuni salesman or the old saki in the water cooler trick ?? i have no idea , i still can't believe honda would release a bike like the 01 cr250 with a mikuni carb that aint worth a pinch of you know what . i'm seriously thinking of switching to the older carb .
honda quality is not like it used to be , look at the valve issues on the 02 crf450 as another fine example .

Top Bottom