BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Perfect riding weather but what about camping weather! BRRRR!

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I'll bring some firewood so we won't have to scrounge for it so much. I'm still gonna try to get them to let us ride at night. If the ranger won't go for it, we may still be able to get away with it as long as we don't ride the trails on the other side of the creek where those that live out there could see us. Hope I'm not considered to old to have a rebel streak. lol

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I'll be there by myself. So far I'll be bringing my tent, but I'm going to look at picking up an inexpensive pop up or small trailer.

Will all meals be at this restaurant, or should I plan on brining a cooler with some burgers and such? I don't have a grill. Will someone have one I could cook up a burger or two?

What will the arrival and departure times be?

Thanks.

Larry

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Well if things go like they did last time, those that arrive Friday night will have breakfast at 8am Sat. at the restraunt. On the trails by 10am or so. Sat. evening dinner at around 5 or 6pm. Sun. morn breakfast at 8am then more trail. I think meals were $6 a person last time. Is that right guys? I haven't yet "officially" asked Jeanette if she'll do this again for us since we don't have a semi-firm headcount yet and it's still a month away but I have let her know we're planning a ride. Things could change. Everyone heads out Sunday afternoon or so depending on how far they have to drive and when they need to be home.

Park fees:
Day use: $2 per person per day
Bike: $2 per bike per day

Don't remember the camping fees but I'll find out. Most everybody brings a cooler with drinks , snacks and whatever.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Not in the ATV camping area but there is across from the restraunt. "Cold" showers and toilets. I hear tho that they are planning a new building for the ATV area.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'd say it's a little farther than a tenth of a mile if you park where the "rv" parking is, ie; the electricity. The thing is you can't ride your bike to the facility area, it's too far to walk, so you better hop in the car.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
My bike is road registered with license plate and all, so riding it over to the shower building shouldn't be a problem. Might be a little cold coming back after a shower though...

Larry

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Person8
Might be a little cold coming back after a shower though...
AFTER, heck we'll here you scream from the cold water.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
There is a truck stop near Tulia on I-27 close by that has a Grandy's (chicken fast food). I know they have an area were they sell hot showers, but I'm not sure how far away that station is. I usually stop there on my way to Amarillo. I don't think its all that far from Silverton.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Hmmm, maybe I'll just have to stink till I get back home. I never much enjoyed cold showers. Baby wipes work wonderfully for a sponge bath.

Larry

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Here's the latest info.

I went to the lake today hoping I could get in some riding. But, they've had 3" of rain in the last 2 days. I putted up and down some of the roads and checked out a few trails but everything was too wet and muddy to ride so I loaded up. Talked to Jeanette about meals for the ride. She agreed to Sat. and Sun. morning breakfast buffets and Sat. evening Dinner. We had roast last time so I opted for brisket this time. Breakfast will be like last time: pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, biscuits and gravy. Meals include drinks: milk, tea, OJ.

She told me she has a 6 person cabin available now. She's been working on it all this year getting it ready. It has microwave, fridge, shower/bath, heat. Can't remember if she said it had stove/oven. She has to rent it on a 4 person minimum of $50 a night. Each extra person up to 6 is $12.50 per night.
The cabin is right behind the restraunt.

She said depending on what the weather/temps are like at night, the water for the shower house will most likely be turned off for the year to prevent pipe breakage/freezing. If someone rents the cabin, you might be able to talk the renters into letting you use the shower there.

Rundown on fees:
Tenters: $3 a night
Campers with hook-ups: $10 a night
Meals: $6.95 a plate(includes drinks)
Park Entrance fee: $2 per person per day
Bike fees: $2 per person per day

If you want to contact Jeanette for questions:
Phone: 806-633-4335
Email: nickel@amaonline.com

There are 6 hook-up sites available. Last time I reserved those spaces for people with campers and the tenters set up around them close enough to run an extention cord to.

That's all I can think of. Anyone got any more questions, something I'm not thinking of?

Derek

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
So the cabin is a minimum $200 a night? I'd definitely be interested in getting into the cabin if anyone else wants to share. I'm all ready to camp in my tent though, so no big deal either way. As long as I have an outlet nearby to plug my little heater into. I am really looking forward to this trip.

Larry

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Sorry, let me clarify. The cabin is $50 a night for 4 people. That works out to roughly $12.50 per person. She has to rent it for a minimum of $50 a night. That's 4 people. For persons 5&6 it would be another $12.50 each. That's cheap.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey I just saw this post (been hiding under a rock in Cheyenne). The 23rd might be doable for us since we were we already talking about heading to Texas then. Let me talk with the hub and get back...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
TX246 is in as of now. CJ, hope you guys decide to come on out.

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Well, CJ never did "talk" to me about it. And women say GUYS are poor communicators! :debil: LOL

I stumbled in here on my own. I think you can count us "in". Looking forward to riding with Derek again and meeting some other DRNers.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
>I'd say it's a little farther than a tenth of a mile if you park where the "rv" parking is, ie; the electricity. The thing is you can't ride your bike to the facility area, it's too far to walk, so you better hop in the car.<

Jeff is right, it's more like 1/4 mile to the closest bathrooms at the playground/pavillion area. But you can ride your bike and take a short trail that comes in the back way to them. The other set of bathrooms and shower house is across from the store.

Top Bottom