Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Hey Will, I'm not sure of the area size acre-wise. Everything I know can be ridden by Sunday afternoon. Like Dan said earlier, just 30 minutes north of Amarillo on I-27 is the Canadian River with a fair amount of riding and even more if the river is low enough that you can get across to the North side. It's mostly sand. You could hit that on your way home if you wanted.

If anyone needs to know, elevation is 3000ft.. Does anyone need to know how to get there?

Larry, I imagine most everyone will head out Sunday afternoon sometime. I will be. Gotta work Monday.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Definitely could use directions on where I'm going. I'll be coming in on I-40 via Albuquerque. I hopefully will be able to get there by 6 PM or so.

Larry

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
If someone gets time, directions to both Lake McKenzie and the Canadian River area would be muchos gracias. Jen and I are taking the whole week of Thanksgiving off and are also thinking about heading over to Big Bend Nat. Park after riding with y'all. Any other good riding areas that we should check out?

:thumb:

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
MacKenzie Directions:

For those coming from the north:
Come down I-27 South out of Amarillo. Stay to the left as it splits off just outside of Canyon, Tx.. Just past Happy Tx. you'll take Exit 83(RD.2698). After you exit you'll make a right, crossing the RR tracks. At the stop sign take a left over the overpass. After 5 miles or so you'll come to another stop sign. Go left, as 2698 turns into RD. 146. 146 takes you thru Vigo Park and after a few miles vears South in a big sweeping turn and connects with Hiway 207. After about 8 miles you'll come to the lake entrance on your right. As you go thru the entrance turn left.

For those coming from the east Via Hiway 287:
Take Hiway 86 west out of Estelline. Take 86 thru Silverton and a few miles outside of town you'll turn right on Hiway 207 North. It's 12 miles from there to the lake. As you go thru the entrance turn left.

For those coming from the west Down I-40:
When you get to Amarillo take I-27 South and follow the directions for those coming from the North.

For those coming from the South up I-27 North:
At Tulia Tx. take Hiway 86 East and take that to Hiway 207 North. 12 miles to the lake.

For those that like to use a GPS while traveling, lake entrance coordinates:
N.34* 33' 1.34"
W. 101* 26' 14"

Here's a link to a map of the lake once you get there:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/23718287/32019862HHQFnMMLfg

The Canadian River is about 20 miles north of Amarillo on Hiway 87. There is no sign. Just watch for the river overpass and pull off the Hiway at the south end of the overpass on the east side. You can ride both east and west of the overpass. Most of the trails are west. you can take the main road all the way back to the meadows and beyond which is part of the Lake Merideth rec. area.
If you can get across the river, definately ride the North trails. Camping is primitive.

If I forgot something or you need some other info, I'll see what I can do.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Anyone got any info on how to set up a poker run? I am toying with the idea of maybe setting something up if anyone would be interested and if the logistics will work.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Trailryder

All you do is lay out a course (loop). You start off rows like an enduro (a few riders at a time say like a minute apart). Once they make it around the loop they get a card (you show it to them and write it on a sheet next to there bike #) At the end of the 5th lap the one with the best poker hand wins. The event is not timed. Not sure how long the course needs to be, but it needs to be long enough so that everyone can finish it.

The course doesn't have to be a loop either (just easier that way). It would just take more people to work the checks. Say you place a check point every couple of miles and the rider would get a card at every check. It would work more like an un-timed enduro.

If you had more than say 10 people you would have to add a second deck. I sure you could also call jokers wild.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Bundu we need a weather report!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I am looking for the best way to do this trip. I had it easy at Dirt Week being a local. Does anyone want to car pool and do I need to get a tent (I intend to some time in the near future) or does someone want to go in on a cabin? etc. Just exploring my options here. Thanks, Derek

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I'm definitely going in the cabin. If you want to be roomies that's great! I might snore a little, but it would still be much better than being in a freezing tent all night.

Larry

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Person8
it would still be much better than being in a freezing tent all night.
Larry

whimps :p

this is what I looked like Sat morning at Lake Mckensie when I got up to releive myself and left the comfort of my heated tent to 17 degrees :moon:

Last edited:

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Since DWreck and Larry are wanting to stay in the cabin, I'll go ahead and make sure it's reserved for us. That leaves 4 billets open. Should be able to pick up at least another 2 to make the minimum 4 person rental. If you want in on the cabin, now's the time to get your name in the hat.

Also, as soon as you know whether you'll be in a tent or an RV or staying in the cabin, I could use the info.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
If for some reason we can't get the minimum of 4 people in the cabin, I will cover the cost so that we make sure that Jeanette gets at least $50 a night.

Larry

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
DWreck, I'll be sending an email out to justql, OKKX'r, Craig_enid, Lorin, and OldMaicoNut to discuss travel/camping plans.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Add my name to the list as well, that makes 4 in the cabin !

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Bundu we need a weather report!

Riding weather Bud :flame: :moon:

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
I grew up in Northern NY State. We were lucky to get one month of nice summer weather. Either we rode in the rain and snow, or we didn't ride much. I think I've got some pictures of me somewhere on my little Yamaha enduro blasting through a field covered with a couple feet of snow. Ah, those were the days.

Larry

Top Bottom