pace

Nov 21, 2003
marcusgunby said:
pace you are being pedantic and its not a very nice character trait, we have someone at work like that and i end up not bothering to discuss as it takes away from the enjoyment of debating. :think:

Would it be appropriate for me to let this one pass..? I was simply pointing out for the benefit of others, that according to the dynochart the bike actually laid down 32HP. You said it made 'just over 30HP'. It's only relevant because we're comparing it to the YZ that you said peaked at 34HP, and as you infer - every horsepower counts big time in the 125 class. If we're comparing 400HP muscle cars, I wouldn't bother mentioning it. Honest. ;)

Furthermore, this CR dynochart compares pretty well with the stock '04 RM125 dynochart posted on your company website - the CR is better between 6k and 9k. The RM rules between the all important 10k and 12k, but they share near identical peak output. It seems your shop was able to subsequently work wonders with the RM motor.

Anyway, your comments on what you perceive as the shortcomings of this CR are extremely informative and I for one appreciate the ground work. I don't think that many of us expected the CR to be competitive this year, and your observations seem to plant the inflated mag review back on terra firma.

:cool:

Cheers.
-pace

Last edited:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Indeed. It is becuase of forums like these, that the monthly magazines have begun to lose their postion as being a reliable means of information. Biasness predicated on advertising sales has lead to less then a truthfull account on a particular product

pace

Nov 21, 2003
If you take issue with one of my observations, you should feel free to 'debate' it. You don't have to dodge the argument with smilies and character attacks.

I guess you and I would get along better if I would just accept your word as gospel. :think:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Pace since you insist on going down this road i will debate it with you, answer me this? why do we have correction factors on dynos?

do you want me to get every single 125 made and dyno them all on the same day? asking alot my friend???

we could sit and dicuss how the cr 125 made 30hp-yes 30 the dyno run you saw was with a really rich main jet and it blubbered badly-it made more power but you would not want to ride it like that, the mod section shows the one with decent jetting and its 30HP or 31hp in your perfect world-the YZ on a similar corrector gave 34hp so its a full 4 hp more not the 2hp you implied.

So the what have we gained from this discussion?? nothing at all apart from in future i wont want to put up the dynos for someone to nit pick.
I dont expect you to take my word or any as gospal-all i want is you to see them for what they are worth- a independant review of the engine performance-i have no agenda for or against honda(see how i praised the cr5 250 in the mod section)

Its obvious to everyone on this board you are a honda fanatic that cant bear to have a bad word said against them.Ive seen this type of thing before and it usually ends with the fanatic leaving the board.

If you think you had a character attack you havnt been around long IMO.Some of the older threads make this one seem like we are best buddies.

Stop trying to make a big deal of what is effectively 1hp from a bike almost no one will ever buy.

hammy56

Dec 31, 2004
05 cr125

I dont know about dyno results but I rode my 05 cr125 for the first time today and it rips! I had a 02 yz125, and then a 04 rmz250....so maybe its because I havent ridden a 2 smoke in a year, but Im impressed at the power this bike makes in stock trim. The trans is definitely notchy. I;ll try different gear oil, hopefully it'll get a little better (my 02 yz125 had the worst trans Id ever ridden!). -Hammy

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
LOL hammy i should have known someone would have the cr and it would come back to haunt me :) like i said upto 10K rpm its a decent engine.

hammy56

Dec 31, 2004
Marcus
all in good fun, Im just happy to be back on a 2 smoke. As far as rpm's, I raced 250 gp bikes for many years and to get more rpm out of them we could raise the exh port...havent tried it on a mx machine, but maybe someday just for laughs :cool: -Hammy

pace

Nov 21, 2003
marcusgunby said:
Its obvious to everyone on this board you are a honda fanatic that cant bear to have a bad word said against them.Ive seen this type of thing before and it usually ends with the fanatic leaving the board.

Well that's a rather large presumption and your part, and not borne out in reality given that the '03 CR was my first Honda dirtbike, and the 'XX my first streetbike in over 20 years of riding. I've been on the CR for one season. Prior to that.. several YZ125s, a YZ144, KLX, DTs, a TZR125 and 250, RGV250, Bandit 400, an old Kawasaki Z, heck even a Bultaco! ;)

There is however a common theme running through your contribution to CR threads. That much is obvious.

Perhaps you would pull the stock '04 RM dynochart from your corporate website and overlay it on the '05 CR, so we can all see just how much of a 'dog' the CR is (your words). If you insist on quoting corrected output, then note that the dynochart you posted clearly shows 31HP SAE, not 30 as you insist.

When you start a post by using insults like 'dog' and misquoting the dynochart, it tends to cast some doubt on the objectivity of the rest of your review.

Cheers.
-pace

Last edited:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
In another thread all I mentioned was about maintenance not painting an accurate picture of reliability and didn't even mention the word Suzuki and I got flamed....There's a major anti Honda theme in here.

It's like the magazines suddenly lose all credibility if they mention anything good about a Honda.

Heck, Honda cars are even given a good rep for reliability.

Perhaps you would pull the stock '04 RM dynochart from your corporate website and overlay it on the '05 CR, so we can all see just how much of a 'dog' the CR is (your words). If you insist on quoting corrected output, then note that the dynochart you posted clearly shows 31HP SAE, not 30 as you insist.

The mags all have same day same dyno results...But they don't have any credibility on here unless they have the YZ or RM putting out the most power.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I could post a dyno of a 04 rm vs a 05 cr125 but as i have already said the cr makes decent power upto near peak so the dyno would show this again.

I have put up a dyno of the 05cr vs the 05 RM which is alot more relervant i would think?, as most people will be chooseing a 05 rm or 05 cr not a 04 rm.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/attachment.php?attachmentid=6801

heres the chart 30.29 hp to be exact-why you still arguing over 0.71hp??????????

you dont seem to be reading my responces at all well???

If i wanted to make the cr look bad i would have put the worst cr dynos for the 05 i had-not the best???

I have owned a CR125 in 85,88, 90, 92,93,94,2001 and 2002 and so feel qulified to say im not anti honda, and i maybe buying a 05 CRF!!!!Ive also owned KTMs, RMs , KXs the only brand i havnt owned is a YZ as i find them too tall for my short stature.

The website you refer to, im not actually a owner or a employee im sponsored by 2 racing.I gain nothing from posting other than the comments of thanks from the baord members.

I think at the end of the day my comment about 'a dog' has upset you so you have choose to go down this road.

If you read a little more you would see the humour only a few worlds later :moon:

I do think its bad for cr125 owners to have to put up with bad engines for the last 5 years-maybe honda should give a rebate for the engine tuning many riders decide to get??

As for the 125 cr, i bet loads of tuners will hate the day when honda make a good one as its makes up alot of profit for the tuning industry, KP has tuning more Cr125s than all the other jap bikes put together.So as far as KP is concerned honda has done a great job.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Hammy raising the exhaust port is about the only way to ge the cr to sing-however the problem is its already too wide, you will gain peak power but the dip before peak you see will get worse.I think 34hp is realistic to get from the cr.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
marcusgunby said:
Pace since you insist on going down this road i will debate it with you, answer me this? why do we have correction factors on dynos?

do you want me to get every single 125 made and dyno them all on the same day? asking alot my friend???

we could sit and dicuss how the cr 125 made 30hp-yes 30 the dyno run you saw was with a really rich main jet and it blubbered badly-it made more power but you would not want to ride it like that, the mod section shows the one with decent jetting and its 30HP or 31hp in your perfect world-the YZ on a similar corrector gave 34hp so its a full 4 hp more not the 2hp you implied.

So the what have we gained from this discussion?? nothing at all apart from in future i wont want to put up the dynos for someone to nit pick.
I dont expect you to take my word or any as gospal-all i want is you to see them for what they are worth- a independant review of the engine performance-i have no agenda for or against honda(see how i praised the cr5 250 in the mod section)

If you think you had a character attack you havnt been around long IMO.Some of the older threads make this one seem like we are best buddies.

Stop trying to make a big deal of what is effectively 1hp from a bike almost no one will ever buy.

you misspelled "gospel" :moon:

Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
Marcus, sorry for sounding like a muppet but you have confused me (doesnt take much)? Firstly you said the CR125 is a dog but then you said the engine is good upto 10k rpm?? Now Im a bit of a numpty novice wobbler and I really fancied a CR so what do you reckon, is the motor going to be any good for me or at my level will I not notice??

pace

Nov 21, 2003
CR Swade said:
you misspelled "gospel" :moon:

:nener:

Umm.. on a slightly more serious note. Has anyone weighed the stock CR250 crank assembly, and compared it to the Wiseco hotrod setup for example?

-pace

p.s Marcus - Thank you for the 05 RM vs. 05 CR plot. However, I was basing my comments on the CR dynochart you referenced in your CR analysis post, which shows different peak power characteristics w/ better numbers. How would I be forming my argument on a different dynochart that I had never seen before?

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/attachment.php?attachmentid=6800

Anyway, I think this horse has been beaten to a bloody end.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
If the new crank is heavier than the older (02-04) owners can mimick the new crank with a flywheel weight. the only problem is I already think the bike rev's a bit too slow, so a heavier crank would be in the wrong direction.

Erik

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sayntmatt said:
Marcus, sorry for sounding like a muppet but you have confused me (doesnt take much)? Firstly you said the CR125 is a dog but then you said the engine is good upto 10k rpm?? Now Im a bit of a numpty novice wobbler and I really fancied a CR so what do you reckon, is the motor going to be any good for me or at my level will I not notice??

I said the 'dog' comment to make the post a little like a headline in a newspaper-it was to get attension-you have no idea how much i wished i hadnt now :| i tried to inject alittle humour later but i guess it was too late.

Back to your question-the cr would make a nice bike for anyone who doesnt try to extract the last 1hp from the engine by revving past 10000rpm, for you i would think it would be a very nice ridable engine. :)

pace

Nov 21, 2003
bedell99 said:
If the new crank is heavier than the older (02-04) owners can mimick the new crank with a flywheel weight. the only problem is I already think the bike rev's a bit too slow, so a heavier crank would be in the wrong direction.

Erik

Yeah... I was actually curious if there are aftermarket options available that carry less rotating mass than the '02-'04 OEM crank assembly.

-pace

pace

Nov 21, 2003
marcusgunby said:
I said the 'dog' comment to make the post a little like a headline in a newspaper-it was to get attension-you have no idea how much i wished i hadnt now :| i tried to inject alittle humour later but i guess it was too late.

Marcus,
I'm sorry if your comments on the CR were misconstrued, and I did not intend the horsepower thing to be such a big deal. It was just meant as a casual observation that I thought might be noteworthy for some readers.

Cheers,
-pace

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I finally got to see the new transworld comparing the dyno curves between the bikes. I must admit both CR's do well on the dyno. I still don't understand how the CR250 still doesn't have bottom according to the test riders when you look at the dyno.

Erik

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
There is always the exeption to the rule, Paul Edmunson(ex world endure champ) is getting one soon, and kp will test it on the dyno-this year KPs dynos and the ones from the mags seem to be agreeing alot more than previously.

Top Bottom