Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

• Yes - broke it while riding

Votes: 308 36.3%
  • Yes - but not related to riding

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) while riding

Votes: 126 14.8%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) not related to riding

Votes: 108 12.7%
  • Never broken a bone (knock on wood!)

Votes: 242 28.5%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2006
i just broke my collarbone a week ago. me and some friends have a track that we can ride to, and i was on my way there on my 85 and i just had to hop up onto a curb, so i pulled my front wheel up, my back wheel hit and the rim bent so that it was formed to the curb and i just flew right over the bars.

-i broke my collarbone(compound fracture)
-my right wrist in 3 places(i had to have surgery to get it back in place and they put pins in it)
-and i dislocated my shoulder

TRIS

Uhhh...
Apr 23, 2006
i have never broken and bones except my index finger during riding. tomorrow im riding tommy searles new practise track, only one person has tried it out and his smashed his collar bone in 2 places over a double there. scary.......

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yep

I broke my collarbone in 5 pieces, errremm ,oh yeah fell off a ladder. Doc fixed it 7-1, metal plate donor bone. 14 weeks later after I was released to go back to work Something popped in the area and was burning, x-ray showed the metal snapped in 2 pieces. After he gave me the option of leaving it or fixing it, he fixed it with a chunk of my hip and a "better" plate and told my wife he did a better job! See my gallery.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled.... can I relate, up hill double, back yard, unloaded off the bike... hurt bad enough. I think what broke the bone in to many splinters was the KX250 followed behind me... yeap, pushed me into the dirt another 6 inches. I gotta a piece of my leg in there now and I'm sporting some of that titainum hardware with the 1/2" screws myself. Funny thing was three days later when my son was laughing... appears he found the nobie bruises on my back to be funny. Us gooood mx guys always have bones where there not supposed to be, leg in the shoulder, hip bone in the neck... yep, I'm good, downside is my son's not much better, hip, wrist, leg, fingers... at least when I pay the insurance premium I feel like we're getting are monies worth. Yes, my wife still loves us both... "next time you can't park the bike, it'll be sold before you get off the table" lotta mx love here.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Titanium?

The JERK that fixed my clavicle better the second time sniveled that nobody makes them in titanium, just SS, but them menards black phosphate screws ain't gonna last long! And if there was a way to get juniors healing capabilities,,,,,, Friday the bone doc is going to take one of the screws out on the end, local dope and a small incision, this will be interesting! He remembers in the xray it looked like it might be interfering with my range of motion, oh you mean the feeling my arm is dislocating from socket! NICE! The second plate is a lot beefier, hope it doesn't break!

Last edited:

i racefast125

Jan 9, 2007
can anyone tell me what a collarbone break feels like? and what u do to heal it and how long it takes, and what are the things people do to break them (ex. take a turn to sharp fall on shoulder) or what?

Mini Rider #4

Jan 5, 2007
i racefast125 said:
can anyone tell me what a collarbone break feels like? and what u do to heal it and how long it takes, and what are the things people do to break them (ex. take a turn to sharp fall on shoulder) or what?
A broken collarbone sucks. You can only move your arm up so much or else it hurts. After you break it and it's all healed you have a bump in your body. It looks like a rod sticking out. :yikes: It took me a little over a month to heal both of mine. And what broke my collarbone was the helmet came down when I landed on my head and broke. :bang: So now I have a EVS collarbone protecter.

Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
I just voted too.AndI broke my collar bone riding my dirt bike. It has been 3 months and still not healed 100%. Maybe because I am 43 and still riding. :cool:

fisco

Mar 23, 2007
I am guessing that most of the collar bone breaks happened on the mx track?

Have never broken a bone. I ride a KDX along with 5 other KDX riders, the total carnage list looks like this...

tweaked knee X2 (not serious)
twisted ankle
concussion (me)

And we dont ride like grannies, the scariest accidents are when flying through the air with my bike dissappearing underneath me (into rocks).

MX guys are in a different league. Im too scared to jump period.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
3 broken collarbones (2 were multiple breaks), all in the woods, all on the left side.... I've never ridden an MX track. Trees don't move; bones do.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I broke mine on a mini trail 50 when I was around 12 (too long ago). I also cracked my helmet, knocked myself unconcious, and received a concusion at the same time. I fell into a jeep rut that was not there the day before. I was separated from the group and by myself. Instincts took me home but I don't remember the ride, just the stars (during the day).

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
This is especially for the over 40 club.

Broken bones take X3 as long to heal compared to 20yrs ago. :whoa:

After 6 weeks mine, broken while riding the local track...showed no signs of improvement. :(

I needed to get back to work (job has specific physical reqs, my condition has to be verified by a specific doc before I'm allowed to work)..

Sold the idea to my orthopod/insurance company that I needed a bone growth stimulator (BGS)(settle down beavis...)

Was riding again after 6 more weeks.

Not sure if the BGS accelerated things or not but I'm REALLY glad I did it....because the post/splint atrophy of my shoulder muscles was far worse than the damage done by the break. I was a significant physical therapy issue after coming out of the shoulder splint. Bottom line is I came out of the splint as soon as the break would allow me....any more and I think I would have had exponential negative results just from how tight my shoulder was getting.

During any PT you get....ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...use alternating ICE/Heat after each session. Just because some gorilla hairly PT dude says pain is good and enjoys making you hurt...don't stop there. When you get home...ICE the sore parts w/alternating heat/light stretching w/o pain. This was huge to my progress as well.

By 6 months I was back to 99% w/my previous gym/weights routine.

I'm convinced if I hadn't been real aggresive w/the doc/insurance co. I would have lost a lot of physical ability. This would have been a big deal to me as a rider...even more a deal as a father of two really active boys.

Good luck out there to anyone dealing with this.

E

May 10, 2007
so far (knock on wood) i havent broken anything riding

i got my wrist snowboarding and dislocated my elbow wrestling.

i have a friend that has broken his collar bone 2 times in 8 months (both riding related)

and and a friend who shattered his knee doing a wheelie and hit powerband/tree (riding related of course)

cavy986

Apr 1, 2005
Hi I've got a seperated shoulder from an encounter with a tree.Has anyone out there delt with this injury and give me some insite into recovering.thanks.

cannonballgsu

May 1, 2007
does this answer your question?
shattered2.jpg

lol, dirtbike related, first broken bone

soap

Jun 10, 2004
That xray looked like mine did. Me and some friends drove 8 hours south to go to ocotillo and glamis. We stayed at ocotillo for 3 days, and on the last day I was getting too comfortable with some of the jumps. I was screwing around on a small gapped step up and caught a rock on the landing with my back tire. The bike kicked me hard and I flew about 30-40 feet down 15 ft of elevation. I landed square on my head and the edge of the helmet broke my collarbone.

For some reason I didnt feel any pain. Until 20 mins later when my friend was driving the truck through the desert to get to the highway (I think he was aiming for the bumps!). We still went to glamis for 3 days and the alcohol and V made the time pass. I now have a plate with 6 screws that aligned all the broken pieces.

GO-BIG

Oct 2, 2007
broke it on this guys track and after i did it he said that the same jump had claimed 3 other peoples collar bones befor... coincidence? haha

Top Bottom