Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

Are you a member of the Broken Collarbone Club?

• Yes - broke it while riding

Votes: 308 36.3%
  • Yes - but not related to riding

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) while riding

Votes: 126 14.8%
  • No - but broke another bone(s) not related to riding

Votes: 108 12.7%
  • Never broken a bone (knock on wood!)

Votes: 242 28.5%

• Total voters

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Never broke any of my bones riding dirtbikes strangely enough.

With the exception of one drunken wrestling match... and getting hit by a car once on a street bike which broke a meta-tarsal bone in my foot requiring a pin for a lil bit...

ALL THE OTHERS have been on Mountain bikes either doing jumps... or riding Downhill.

The Rt Collarbone was twice. The first time it broke was spectacular! We were at the corner edge of this park which is atop a Mesa. Ya push ur bike up the hillside... turn around and zoom down and hit this beautifully smooth bowl jump... the kind that launches you more length-wise than height-wise.

Had done the jump 7-10 times or so that day. Took a newbie guy with me to this spot so he could learn to jump. I go for one more.... pushing another 10 feet higher up the hill. The extra speed was sweet... hit the jump perfectly... perfect flight attitude.. flying straight as an arrow....distance of flight path was 35 of my size 10 feet placed end-to-end... the landing was perfect too... but for some reason... she wanted to knife under... I tried to spot my landing and tuck and rool into it.. but there was just too much velocity smacking the back side of my shoulder... so SNAP!!!

This bike was a X-country bike with some suspension. This is when I learned that X-country bikes have X-country inner tubes which are paper-freakin'-thin. Sigh...

Then the next year I re-broke the same break (ortho figures it prolly never healed right) clearing a 12' double at SheepHills where I'd forgotten to nose-down the bike via handbrake and rear tire tapped the landing jump and bike wanted to loop out from under so I intentionally bailed off to the side.

The dang thing just wasn't healing so finally they put on this Bone-Growth stimulator and it did the trick.

Drunken-wrestling = cracked ribs.. AND... me not getting laid that night from getting F'd up. Was SOOOO PISSED!! HaHA!

-Gary

bross

Jan 8, 2006
Broke my collarbone June 6 of this year - first broken bone ever. Broke it at the end of a 3-double section. Hit the first one OK, gassed it too hard going into the 2nd one and gassed WAY too hard and panic-revved the hell out of it on the 3rd. Bike landed vertically on the back tire and threw me off the bike when the front tire slammed down to the ground. Landed head-first and was knocked out. My present for the day was a mild concussion and the broken collarbone.

I didn't know it was broken until the following Friday (this was a wednesday out riding) when I met up with a friend of mine who is a medical massage therapist and she noticed the huge lump and told me to get X-rays. Off work for 7 weeks and then light duty for another 2.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Early 70's, I was about 14, Shadow Glen track at Indian Dunes. This guy and I tangled bars on the face of a jump, it's about all I remember from that day. Ended up with a broken collarbone and a cuncussion. Even to this day my little brother laughs when he tells the story....... "I can't believe mom and dad waited till the next day to take you to the hospital. You spent all the rest of the day and night mainly unconcious, moaning and groaning.........and barfing up dirt!" :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Same thing happened to me when I was a youth, concussion, kept asking the same thing over and over, throwing up,,, he has been drinking! Time #2, doubled over in pain and throwing up, and a fever,,,, stomach flu? Nooooo 6 weeks draining poison from busted appendix! If in doubt do not figure, GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM!

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
broke it and knoked myself out while jumping(trying to) i just turned down the gas and the front wheel just dived into the ground, now one year later when i could efford anew bike i am trying to jump a big jump again :p

warrior91

Jan 31, 2008
Broken right shoulder blade/compressed 1 vertabrae/hyperextended knee /Concusion/road rash on 1/3 my back.
That was all in one go. 4 years ago...Fun riding with a buddy...I rode back to town after catching my breath. I kept waking up as my bike started to wobble or fall over, I couldn't use the clutch so idled home in first.
In 1992 I tore ligaments in left ankle (still feel it ..must be some rhumatiz) and crushed 1 vertabrae racing in open ATV class. My Quad died while taking off the lip of the first double and spit me in front of it after just missing the nose in to the back side of the landing. Needless to say I got drove over like I was touching my toes...folded me up .
Crushed/broke the rear of the helmet with the bumper of bike, and I figure the linkage dogbone felt the best on my recently crushed vert...(I flipped off bike and landed ass first). The only conselation was even with dnf I had enough points for third overall and hobbled in crutches for the trophy....I love race weekend.

Kids wear those protectors ,I was luckier than I deserved.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
Yep I broke my collar bone last July. It sucked pretty bad but I was riding again in less than 3 months :)

Hope I never do it again tho, pretty expensive when you have terrible insurance :bang:

georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
spark250 said:
Yep I broke my collar bone last July. It sucked pretty bad but I was riding again in less than 3 months :)

Hope I never do it again tho, pretty expensive when you have terrible insurance :bang:

yeah, same here i broke mine about a year ago. i have terrible insurance too. it took us forever to pay it off.

MOTOHEAD64

Feb 20, 2008
My right collar bone is the only bone I have broken,(knock on wood) and it was in three pieces. A low side on one of these fine traffic filled Cali freeways. My Aprilia is still mad at me for that one. I have been lucky with the bones, not so lucky with soft tissue. To put it lightly, I have battle scars.

brapbrap

Jan 14, 2008
ah,yes. i broke my clavical or however you spell it,ate too much calcium and now have a sweet lump on the left. i also just broke my pinky finger again on my pedal bike doing a bar spin.ive broken more fingers on that thing!

dparker

Aug 31, 2004
Broke my left colar bone and 7 ribs in ten place's last summer.
Bad get off going over a 5 foot jump with a muddy take off.
Doc said wait 8 weeks and see what happens. After 8 weeks
bone did not heal. Waited 2 more weeks for sugery, then had a pin placed in the colar bone so it would heal staight. Had the pin in for 3 months. This was far more painful then the original break. Finally had the pin removed and was 75% better the next day. 2 more weeks till my first ride since july
30,2007 can't wait goin to St. joe state park in MO.
If anyone needs surgury to repair a colar bone get the plate and screws not the pin!!!!!!

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
Thats kind of ironic, my little brother just broke his collar bone on our gokart, while wearing a helmet and a seatbelt. the thing has a rollbar and everything. it flipped over and the seatbelt had slack in it, he moved forward and hit the end of the line. crackk. i felt like an..... becase i was driving. :(

BryceD

Jan 27, 2008
havent broken my collar bone but
i have ripped 3 tondons in my shoulder
wich...from wat i felt
cant have felt too much better haha

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
I've been at it a long time and never broke anything, despite some horrendous crashes. At one particularly tough (physically) race, I came in from the 2nd moto and as I was lifting my bike onto a stand, I felt a sharp pain in my side. Thinking I'd simply pulled a muscle, I thought nothing more of it. The next day, at work, I happened to sneeze....the pain was incredible! After work, I went to the E.R. and their x-rays showed three broken ribs. The doctor said they were likely "stress-fractured", during the race and lifting the bike afterward, finally made 'em break. :whoa: Kinda' sucks, when ya' break somethin' and can't even brag about how it happened.

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
When i was about 10, and very stupid!I had a TM125 suzuki, and one day i decided to figure out what the little lines that went to the cylinder were for(oil injection)(duh). So I disconnected them, and then went up the road as fast as i could. The bike locked up,highsided me, and then tumbled over me. I had 2 broken collar bones(had to wear a halo for 3 months),a broken arm, 2 bruised ribs, and alotta road rash.THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!!!!!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
dparker said:
Broke my left colar bone and 7 ribs in ten place's last summer.
Bad get off going over a 5 foot jump with a muddy take off.
Doc said wait 8 weeks and see what happens. After 8 weeks
bone did not heal. Waited 2 more weeks for sugery, then had a pin placed in the colar bone so it would heal staight. Had the pin in for 3 months. This was far more painful then the original break. Finally had the pin removed and was 75% better the next day. 2 more weeks till my first ride since july
30,2007 can't wait goin to St. joe state park in MO.
If anyone needs surgury to repair a colar bone get the plate and screws not the pin!!!!!!

ST JOE'S IS GREAT FUN :cool:
good luck on your heal-
might have been allergic to the metal? so it hurt all the time

Iluvdirt123

Aug 20, 2008
never my collarbone but i snapped my ankle before. landed with the foot under the footpeg comin off a jump, not wearing boots, BAAAAD decision still havent fully recovered

recon88m

Nov 17, 2008
broken cheek bone club

I had my first wreck on sept 5th 1979. I came around a blind tree covered corner and hit another bike front tire to front tire
I don't know what/where i hit,i was knocked out...so was the other guy.When i woke up he was hurt and could not move.I got on my bike (g5b100 Kawie1975) somehow found the power to kick it over,3rd try my baby started.I rode about a mile to the highway.i remember a little of the ride.I got on the road...the wrong way and down the shoulder i went to the gas station.i asked the guy for a dime to call my Mom. I remember him shaking and giving me the dime.i called Mom and said i wrecked the bike.Mom yelled at me(she didn't know i was hurt). I sat on a chair and a cop that took my bike away from me about a week before this was grabbing me asking if i was ok and about the other guy.He got it bad,His bike was done,all bent up.My bike had no major damage. My mom and dad picked me up and took me to the hospital.They x rayed my face,i vomited on the xray techs.I broke my cheekbone.I had a ENT dr operate on my face,went in my mouth,cut a hole to my cheek and pulled the bone out,I missed 3 months of school. I was back on the bike 3 weeks after my wreck,I spent 2 weeks in the hospital. I broke my nose and have sinus damage.I can blow air out of my right eye,I guess i could shoot milk out of it.

JFAB

Dec 1, 2008
I came up short on a double, hit it just right that the bike almost stoped in its tracks. My head hit the fender, chest hit the cross bar. I stayed on the bike but it would have been better if I had gone over the bars. This was 3 months ago and my collarbone still gives me pain. Too dumb to go to the Dr, go fig!

Top Bottom