Gas coming out overflow tube on carb

Discussion in 'Bike Mods, Performance, Maintenance & Repair' started by sprocket218, Mar 30, 2007.

1. sprocket218

sprocket218 Rookie DRN Member

Good morning,

Quick question, my bike won't start and as soon as I turn the gas on, it just flows out of the overflow tube. Is the float stuck? Thanks,
    Nancy

2. zero_it

zero_it Subscriber

Yes. Either (1) the float level is set too high, (2) the needle and/or seat are worn and not shutting off, (3) the float has a hole in it and has sunk in the bowl or (4) the float is hung up on something and stuck in the open position. Better do a tear down inspection and figure out what's up.
  3. rmc_olderthandirt

rmc_olderthandirt Subscriber

If the gas just pours out, the float is stuck. If you get a slow drip then it is more likely a faulty needle valve.

Sometimes if give the bike a good shake the gas sloshing around in the bowl will jar the float loose. A few gentle taps on the side of the carb can also free it up.

It is possible that the float stuck due to a bit of gas/oil that turned to goo in the needle valve and once you break it loose it will be fine. If the problem keeps returning you need to tear the carburetor apart and fix it proper. It is possible that just a good cleaning of the needle valve and seat (do NOT use carburetor cleaner on the needle valve seat!) will take care of it, but I generally prefer to pay the $20 for a new set.

Rod