Gas coming out overflow tube on carb

sprocket218

Aug 25, 2006
Good morning,

Quick question, my bike won't start and as soon as I turn the gas on, it just flows out of the overflow tube. Is the float stuck? Thanks,
Nancy

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Yes. Either (1) the float level is set too high, (2) the needle and/or seat are worn and not shutting off, (3) the float has a hole in it and has sunk in the bowl or (4) the float is hung up on something and stuck in the open position. Better do a tear down inspection and figure out what's up.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If the gas just pours out, the float is stuck. If you get a slow drip then it is more likely a faulty needle valve.

Sometimes if give the bike a good shake the gas sloshing around in the bowl will jar the float loose. A few gentle taps on the side of the carb can also free it up.

It is possible that the float stuck due to a bit of gas/oil that turned to goo in the needle valve and once you break it loose it will be fine. If the problem keeps returning you need to tear the carburetor apart and fix it proper. It is possible that just a good cleaning of the needle valve and seat (do NOT use carburetor cleaner on the needle valve seat!) will take care of it, but I generally prefer to pay the $20 for a new set.

Rod

Top Bottom