Important decision, help much appreciated

Alexmx17

Dec 30, 2008
Hello, i am new to the forum but i have been reading many posts and it seems that you people might be able to finally stop me thinking and i in my turn hopefully can help someone out myself once i become a part of your family slowly :) <<for nearly a month now i cannot decide this simple but very hard for me decision.
To start things off i am 6'1 feet and weigh 140lbs
My first bike was a KTM SX 125 04 that i have 2 years now, a few months ago i went into my first club race committed and came a respectful 4th in both motos,the following race i placed 4th and 3rd and the last race i won the whole thing.I have now took into this sport a lot, i love it and i am committed and i am planning to race at harder competitions etc but as much as i love 2 stroke i think its time to move to a thumper.
This is what i am thinking for the past month while at school at work or even while typing this topic, KTM SX-F 250 09 VS HONDA CRF250R 09 i am able to go pick 1 up when ever i like but i have heard to many good reviews on both bikes that i honestly feel bad to pick 1 over the other,therefor i am here to ask you guys what you would suggest i get and why (benefits-disadvantages) if someone had experienced one or both bikes and even better a 2009 model it would be even better, Please guys my hopes are on you,

ps. i know thumpers need constant maintainability and more money than 2strokes just go trying to put me off :) its OK i can afford this thanks a lot.

and please no speech because of pure fanboyishm. i love my ktm but im not putting it even 0.1% over the honda its pure 50-50 for me ( i can also get honda in black :P so the looks ktm vs honda is pretty much 50-50 again) but my decision is mostly on what bike i would feel better on drive faster on etc even tho im used to my ktm i know that only some like the feel.

May 10, 2007
personally i would go with the KTM.

there are just a lot of things about them that make them great. the hydraulic clutch, strong brakes and from what i have heard they are more reliable then the other 250F's (not sure if that is true though. im sure they will fail just as easily with lack of maintenance)

also i quickly went to my local dealer's website and compared them. http://www.scottpowersports.com/new...JAMQ1799R0&veh1=94031&mfg2=1&veh2=87066&go=Go (not sure if that will work)

what it says is that the honda is a 5 speed the KTM is a 6. also the ktm is a little lighter and a tiny bit taller.

im also not sure if the SX got it but on my bike it has the toolless air filter removal. which is great. sure it doesnt take that long to get out the right size wrenches but its so much easier to just pop off the side panel take out the filter, clean it, and put it back in without ever touching a tool and getting it sticky with filter oil.

Alexmx17

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks flyingfuzzball for the info and suggestion yes ive heard the same but i have also heard the opposite the website helps a bit but i cant say 5 or 6 speed makes a big difference being the ktm has 48 teeth rear sprocket and honda 51 so... but thank you mate,waiting for more opinions :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tough call, I've had KTM and Honda and they both are great products. Since it's a too close to call race I would base my final decission on the local dealer. Which one offers better parts support? Which one typically has what you need in stock? This is sort of funny because I'm contradicting my own advice a bit as my local KTM shop is waaaaay better than the giant multibrand shop that carries Hondas. I just happen to be happy with the Hondas I have and know that Service Honda can get me most anything I need within a week via mail order.

Alexmx17

Dec 30, 2008
aye...i have a good KTM dealer and Honda too so again to hard to call...Would you say you felt more comfortable and could ride faster on the KTM rather than HONDA? or other way around?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Since I had a KTM 360 EXC comparing it to my personalized XR284 isn't really a good comparison for your needs. The 360 was stupid fast but the XR is like a 92% scale bike so it hauls in the tight technical stuff.

It's really really sounding to me like you can just pick the color you like and go. If somebody held a gun to my head and said pick I would choose the Honda. Not because I have any practical experience with the specific bike you are looking at but because of my past experience with Honda designed products and the larger support base in the USA.

Alexmx17

Dec 30, 2008
Totally agree but KTM is a European company therefor once again KTM and Honda are approximately the same in the product support subject. and yea pick a colour orange or red-black....... but i cant even pick the colour ;) thanks again mate and god help me lol...The hard thing is not which bike to actually pick for me but the guilt of not picking the other if you know what i mean xD

Alexmx17

Dec 30, 2008
good point but lets just hope its KTM TEAM ORANGE :P becuz i think orange is KTM unique like Red for Honda etc
assadasd the more i think of these 2 bikes the deeper i fall into this whole there must be sm1 here that has had a ride on at least 1 of them or knows some facts :/

Top Bottom