cbrbob

Nov 25, 2002
My son raced his first Hare Scramble he is 7 and his JR 50 needs more low end pull. It has a 28 tooth rear sprocket and was wondering if a 38 tooth would be to much.
Thanks
Bob

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I have not worked directly with the JR but a 10 tooth change is HUGE.  I usually go 2 teeth at a time.  Not more than 4 teeth change for sure.  If you change 10 teeth you going to run in to chain problems.  you chain will be too short.

You could unlock the secret gear.  there is a tab inside that you can grind off.  This will give a second lower gear.    instead of just nuetral you'll have 1-n-2

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by cbrbob
Jason,
Where do I find the steps to do this?

Post a fax number and I'll send you some info. .

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I don't really have info on it other that what was posted here before.  I have heard from several people on this list that have done it.  I have never personally seen it done.  I'd love to do one but don't have any Jr's around right now.  From what I understand you just remove the right side cover and there is a tab that sticks out at you as being in the way of the shifting mechanism.  Grind that down so you can shift and thats it.  Directions were posted quite some time ago but I didn't save them.

I think this was done to fit within the AMA rules for single speed bikes in the class 3 but I am just speculating as to why they would quit allowing the gear to be used?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Jason, there's no answer at that number. Very aggravating. :silly:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by Vic
Jason, there's no answer at that number. Very aggravating. :silly:

Sorry about that.  We just got a new machine.  It must not be set up properly.  I won't be back in til next wednesday.  I'll PM you when its fixed.  Sorry for the aggravation!!!  Our old one was like 6 years old and sounded like a freight train when a fax came in.  I only tested the send not recieve function on Wed.. :ugg:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Don't PM me. Post it here or e-mail me at vic@dirtrider.net . You are the third person in as many days who has asked me to fax them something when they were not ready to receive it. You get one more chance. ;)

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
The 2 speed thing works well. I didn't do the mod to the one I just sold, but after riding it, it has more top end than a PW could ever hope for! The low range is okay maybe as fast/same as a PW, but the top end is where you notice the 2 speed JR shine. If you were to add the larger rear sprocket, to go with this, it'd be a little rocket.

MP

Jason81

May 2, 2001
I did this mod to my sons first bike. In my opinion it is worthless. The first gear you gain is so low that is is worthless for anything short of climing a hill and a kid of the age and skill level for a JR 50 will not even consider shifting. The JR 50 is a back yard machine. My son broke his in half ($400.00 for a frame but I just welded it) and this is a common problem so dont let your son start jumping it. For racing harescrambles I would get a XR 50 for a rider at that level. The Honda is bullet proof and will do it all. My son did manage to blow the shock out of it doing some 18' doubles.... Kids are nuts....
Jason

Top Bottom