jsparky

Dec 14, 2009
I traded my 97 cr 250 for this bike just based on the looks. This guy has been riding with 32:1 mixture and its a dog off the line he has all the upgrades on it with the pipe and reeds airbox blah blah I cleaned the carb not gummy at all is a 40:1 mix better than a stock break in mix ? I have always been told 40:1 is the way to go. I need thoughts !!!! Thank you

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
40:1 is richer than 32:1. Start by doing a compression test, check the reeds and then if that checks out start jetting the bike.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The oil ratio is not your problem. You can run it at 16:1 and have it be razor sharp if everything is set up correctly.

Start with the basics. It's a 9 year old 125, so verify the high wear areas first:

- Piston
- Rings
- Reeds
- Crank

Once you are sure it's in proper mechanical shape then get on with the job of jetting it correctly for the fuel you are running and the conditions you'll be riding in.

It's a 125 which means if it's not internally tight and jetted sharp, it's going to be SLOW.

jsparky

Dec 14, 2009
maybe I'll just do a top end on it then I know its got good rings plug is a dark black so she is running rich in first it revs half way cuts out then picks back up. If I run the piss out of it keep the rev high she runs like a champ I just don't wanna blow the motor. I miss my 250 pop the gas and it pulls right up.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
Why would you ever trade one of the best 250 ever made for a cr125?that 125 better be power-coated and worked out.Maybe its just me iunno.Mess around with the jetting.Could be the rings to.Yea your best bet is to just rebuild then go from there.You dont know many hours he had on it.And usually when you put boyesen pro series or vforce you want to go down on the jet size.

jsparky

Dec 14, 2009
Well the reason was my 97 250 did hit a tree shhhhh hahahaha dont let friends ride your bike drunk !!!!!! this cr 125 has a fully polished red anodized frame/ polished rear swing I did and wheels on black plastics with graphics kit.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
you obviously have not read any advice given to you. Go back and do some checks on the motor before proceeding.

or do it your way and dump $$$ into it and hope the greenbacks fix the problem.

jsparky

Dec 14, 2009
Ok well when you have money you don't worry about it. Putting a fresh topend on a bike with unknown hours is the best thing you can do. If you can't work on your own bike then why ride it. All I know is that there is snow on the ground plenty of time before spring. It's just a two hour job if you have never done it then all day. The bike is a one owner with 9 years on the stock head... I dont know how you ride but Im on the gas all the time. Go Big or Go home head kits are cheap....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Matt90GT said:
you obviously have not read any advice given to you. Go back and do some checks on the motor before proceeding.

I think we're just wasting keystrokes here Matt. :bang:

jsparky

Dec 14, 2009
maybe you guy's are!!! Tell me 9 years on a stock head your not going to rebuild it!!! Your going to just do a comp test on the motor it has to be loose on the topend with worn rings !!! If you check the specs for that year anyways it was bad in the lowend /mid. :yell:

Last edited:

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
The 2000 will always be slower than your bike. Thats just the way they are. The 125s from 2000-20004 are dogs and require alot of jug work to make them compete with anything. I am a honda guy so it hurts to say this but its true.

Top Bottom