00' CR250 tips?

After spending the summer being pounded and punished by my 00' CR250, I pulled my old 95' CR250 off the trailer and was amazed to find that I like the old, totally stock suspension much better. To add insult to injury, I rode a 01' YZ250 last weekend and came away mucho impressed with it's ability to soak up bumps without making me feel old and feeble. I love the way my 00' handles and the motor is perfect, but what can I do to make the suspension plusher (like my clapped-out 95'!)? I've moved the clickers around with some success, just not enough. I'm done for the season as the snow will soon fly in Michigan, so I'm planning on sending the suspension off to be revalved but I don't really know what to ask for. I weigh 165lbs and ride in the "B" class (with great speed for the first lap or so, then my bike beats me into submission and I trailride for the last 4)..

I ride the exact same way except my suspension is is the only thing that allows me to go one lap at speed, then my tongue gets wrapped up in the spokes and I flounder for 4 laps.

On a more serious note, your stock springs are in the ball park for your weight. Your fork springs might be suspect as all that I have tested in 00 CR have rated .40kg and I would suggest .42kg for you. You would want them tested to be sure.

You could gain more clicker adjustability by switching fluids to Mobil 1 ATF, or any heavier fluids like Motorex 7.5wt. The MObil 1 works awesome,is synthetic and cheap at about $5 a bottle. It is what I use in my personal bike and for my customers. In consideration of revalve, do it! Your bike needs some help there. No if's and's or but's that bike needs a revalve, especially the shock.

If you need more specific answers drop me a note.

hmmm how about putting the 95 forks on the 00
honda's are mean thats how i like em. The faster you go on a new honda the nicer the bike is!

hey shocknut,

my buddy is having the same trouble on his 00cr250, hes a pro harescramble rider here in nc, and this bike is killing him! hes had several wrist injuries and the forks are making things worse, the guy that usually does his suspension stuff said he hasnt had much luck with these so he didnt want to attempt it, so now hes a little spooked and not sure what to do, hes about 178-180lbs, likes the forks on big hits, i rode it today and compaired to my 01yz426 its really harsh
he has the comp adjusters all the way out and its so rough on light chop! you feel every pebble in the trail, im 205 and i still felt that it transfered every bump to your hands, would mobil 1 help? what can be done? if i can show him some improvemnt i think i can talk him into revaling this beast

I rode a friend of mines '00 CR250 and loved the suspension. I thought it handled everything really nicely. It wasn't as stiff as my XR's (Race Tech Modified) forks but they were a LOT better. Might just be rider preference.

------------------
Johnny Campbell
Reno, Nevada
'99 XR442 (For Sale) http://johnnyb.4t.com/forsale.html
'01 CR500AF (Coming Soon)

Yo Matt,
Lets keep this simple, your compression is set at full out. What about your rebound setting?

Tear em' down and clean them good. I mean CLEAN. Everything. Blow everything out good with 80psi of air. Paying particular attention to bleed passages. Reassemble with Mobil 1 ATF, .42kg springs and set clickers at 14 out comp and 12 out rebound and go hit the trails agian and see if they are any better. No matter what you will never get them to work as good as a solid revalve job. E-mail me if you have more specific questions.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Yo matt &Deterrian,
The 00 cr250 forks can be harsh but, before you bite the $$$$ for a revalve make sure that your forks are lined up properly at the front axle. If the bottom of the forks are pulled in or pushed out they will not function properly, they have to be parallel to each other . If the axle has ever been hammered in, the end that the hammer hit is probably mushroomed out and will not line up properly no matter what.
This fork has a mid-valve that is way too stiff for the average rider . The race tech fork mentioned previously mentioned probably had the mid-valve changed to a check plate to aleviate the harshness. This mod works great for everybody except for really fast supercross riders they dont have any real bad breaking bumps to worry about and are generally in realy good shape.
Just some food for thought!
Pete

------------------

Don't be so quick to blame the forks for being harsh without considering your shock. Yes the rear will have a direct affect on the front end harshness. Set your forks to stock settings, set your shock sag and go with 1.5 on the high speed and then start playing with the slow speed and rebound on the shock. This is what will have the biggest tunable affect on the 00'cr250's harshness.

zio

Mr. Atlas
mxpaul, you're scaring me. Everytime I experience something, you've replied about the same thing a moment before. You wouldn't be my smarter, evil twin, would you?

I just realized yesterday in a rough race that my shock is just as important as my forks. As the forks rock the bike back over a certain bump (because they don't absorb the small hit), the shock then rocks the bike forward when the rear tire hits the same bumb. neither end was doing it's job of absorbing the small bumbs on the trail. I actually think I could have handled the stiff fork if the rear seat wouldn't have been punishing my butt like a prison inmate.

At least that was my impression, anyway. It was so hard to manage the '00 CR250 at race speed on a very rough HareScramble course that was filled with rocks and lots of choppy, 1/2 to 1 1/2 ft high bumps(note: race speed for me is a casual sunday drive for most).

Revalve or kTm, here I come.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Originally posted by Pete Payne:
This fork has a mid-valve that is way too stiff for the average rider . The race tech fork mentioned previously mentioned probably had the mid-valve changed to a check plate to aleviate the harshness. This mod works great for everybody except for really fast supercross riders they dont have any real bad breaking bumps to worry about and are generally in realy good shape.
Just some food for thought!
Pete

[/B]
Pete,
I would like your comments on this please..

I personally think anyone who removes a mid-valve should be burned at the stack or inviscerated (Just like what they have done to there forks).

Jer

MACE

Lifetime Sponsor
We all repeat the midvalve lore we hear from the Thede desciples.

Problem with midvalves is that they are such a bitch to get to that we (the great unwashed) never experiment with them. Everytime I pull the top caps off my cartridges I'm afraid I'm going to crush something with my vise. (Yeah, I'm using improvised tooling.)

John Curea

Lifetime Sponsor
INVISCERATED ???? IS THAT LIKE CASTERATED??!!!
or mabye you meant "emancipated"

------------------

JTT

Subscriber
...ok, I'm going to ask a dumbass question

...what is this "mid valve" we are refering to? I was only aware of one valve in my CR forks....

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
J. Wilkey,
I was just responding to the fact of why the race tech modified forks worked so well. I have personally done this mod in my shop and it works great for me and was not saying that this was the only way to get a plusher setup fork. This mod does require other things to be changed to work in conjunction with it .There are many ways to get to the same end result of a way better ride. Sorry ,I dont want to be viscerized!!