WR250F_Rider

May 17, 2001
Well,

I tried reversing the timing change and it still missed... so I was a little frustrated at that point... so I left the bike with my roomate for the weekend and let him work on it. He removed the cams, and then replaced them, and then retimed it to the YZ timing, and now everything is working right. Like I've mentioned before... I dont know alot about engines... so I don't know how probable this is... but he said that when we turned the chain without the tensioner that we probably slipped some teeth on the bottom gear and even though the exhaust and intake sprockets were lining up correctly that it was still out of timing. Apparently he was correct, because when he re-did it all, it works like a champ. Anyways... thanks alot for your help. I think we are going to try and cut the throttle stop next, and get the vortip.

Randy

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
randy,

that's great news! i think that you are right-- without the tensioner in, the timing chain will slip on by the crankshaft gear. i should tell you that you are *extremely* lucky that the mistiming didn't cause a very large engine problem, namely one or more open valves hitting the piston as it comes up. so don't do that again! :*)

for the throttle stop, a few months ago i did a write up complete with lots of pictures, see
http://www.thumpertalk.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000207.html
and scroll down to my post of 03-09-2001.

it's really straightforward, you can do it in 15 minutes and the worst thing that could happen is that you have to get a new (yzf-style) throttle stop from your dealer for $12. the biggest problem is getting the damn thing out. read the post above for some hints-- if you have (or get) a ball head 4mm allen wrench your life will be a lot easier.

let me know if you have any questions.

the wrooster

mic89hilux

Sep 4, 2006
No Spark

hey all

im new to this forum and wr's for that matter

just brought a wr 250 01 was goin well until i did bout 80kms and went 4 a ride and no spark the bike only has 2000kms on it and just was wondering if any one has had this prob and what it was thanks anyway

Top Bottom