yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Early by appx. 6 weeks. My riding buddy got his in today. He was 3rd on the list but No. 1 has a broken leg, and No. 2 backed out for financial reasons. So he became the top man on the totem pole for the 02' today. Too bad , he just put a fresh tires on his 01'. Isn't life cruel!?;)

From what I have read, just minor finessing with shock length, swing arm, brakes, easier starting? ( I never thought they were too hard anyhow).

I can't wait to get a test ride! New bikes always feel like a new pair of shoes times ten.
So anyone waiting on one. The first batch is done and the choc. chips are still warm.:)

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I would like your opinion on the 02 if you get to ride it.
I have an 01 and decided to try the 02 CR 250. Tough learning how to ride the 2 banger again, but light.
I'm curious about the 450 since LaRocket declined to ride it next year?
Regards

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
They (Honda) didn't say. They just announced (at the dealer meeting in Vegas) he was riding the CR 250 on the Factory Connection Team for 02.
See below.

Las Vegas, NV ￾] American Honda announced their 2002 Motorcycle Racing Teams at the company's annual dealer show Wednesday night, September 19 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Motorcycle Division Vice President Ray Blank said, "Motorcycling is really about performance, and the ultimate yardstick is racing. For 2002, our race teams will literally define Performance First. Their success is very important to Honda's research and development. And it's important to our customers, who know that Honda builds and races the best products in the world."

Honda racing teams have amassed 90 motocross, Supercross, roadracing and off-road championships in AMA competition, more than any other manufacturer.

Supercross and motocross racing

The Honda Motocross Team welcomes the 2001 American Motorcyclist Association's (AMA) Supercross and National Motocross Champion Ricky Carmichael to the Red Riders for 2002! The seven-time AMA Champion will lead the Honda charge on Honda's all-new CR250R. Carmichael's introduction to the enthusiastic dealers foretells Honda's dominance in the upcoming 2002 Supercross and motocross seasons.

Sebastien Tortelli returns to the Honda, hungry to capture the 250-series outdoor championship that eluded him in the 2001 season. Though Tortelli is known for his outdoor motocross expertise, he is also a legitimate Supercross championship contender and his hard-charging race ethic should earn him many victories next season.

Two more motocross talents join the factory Red Rider effort for 2002. 2001 AMA Western Region 125cc Supercross Champion Ernesto Fonseca will campaign a CR250R in both AMA Supercross and outdoor motocross for 2002. Honda Racing also welcomes Nathan Ramsey, 1999 Western Region 125cc Supercross Champion who will race Honda's vaunted CRF450R four-stroke motocrosser in both series.

Ironman Mike LaRocco will Ride Red again in 2002 aboard a Honda CR250R, racing for the Factory Connection Team. Mike finished the 2001 Supercross series third in points; he was fourth overall in the outdoor motocross series. Joining LaRocco next season will be Michael Byrne, Christopher Gosselaar and Travis Preston. All three riders will compete on Honda CR125Rs in the Supercross and national motocross series.

Road racing

Honda's 2002 Road Racing Team will focus exclusively on the AMA's Superbike championship. Three exciting racers will ride Honda's RVT1000R RC51 in their quest for victory.

20-year-old roadracing star Nicky Hayden nears the conclusion of his second full season in Superbike racing with three consecutive Superbike wins under his belt, the first rider to do so this year. His late season charge finds him in near-perfect form for a championship run in the 2002 season.

Multi-time AMA Champion Miguel Duhamel returns to Honda Racing for 2002, having won more AMA Superbike and 600 Supersport races than any rider in history, along with a record five 600 Supersport titles and a Superbike championship. Duhamel's renowned race craft makes him a serious title threat as he focuses exclusively on Superbike competition in 2002.

Last year's AMA / Pro Honda Oils 600 Supersport Champion Kurtis Roberts will campaign an Erion Racing-liveried RC51 for 2002. Roberts has ridden consistently well this year since mid-season arm surgery took him out of title contention in the 600 Supersport and Superbike series. Watch for Roberts to be a regular podium finisher in 2002 Superbike competition.

Honda's all-new CBR954RR and returning CBR600F4i will anchor the Honda-supported Erion Racing Team and Bruce Transportation Group efforts in the AMA's 2002 Formula Xtreme and Pro Honda Oils 600 Supersport series. Moving up from a successful inaugural season with the Bruce Group is a familiar Hayden name, 18-year old Roger Lee Hayden. Nicky's younger brother earned the Erion saddle with consistent finishes in both series this year and he takes a back seat to no one when he is on the track.

Joining the Erion Racing Team will be a rider familiar to Honda racing
aficionados, none other than former Smokin' Joe's Honda factory rider Mike Hale. Hale, who is best remembered for his meteoric rise in 600 Supersport and Superbike racing in 1994-1995, will bring his exciting racing style to the increasingly competitive 600 Supersport and Formula Xtreme series.

Honda will announce the signing of the Bruce Transportation Group riders in the near future.

Off road racing

Six-time Baja winner Johnny Campbell will anchor Honda's 2002 desert racing effort. Last November, Campbell teamed with Tim Staab, Steve Hengeveld and Craig Smith to take the overall win in the toughest, most grueling Baja ever, the 1700-mile Baja 2000. Look for the off-road Red Riders to extend Honda's dominance in 2002 aboard the race-proven aluminum-framed XR650R.

Scott Summers, nine-time off-road champion and a true ambassador to the sport, announced his retirement before a standing ovation from Honda dealers. Summers will continue to work with the Honda Riders Club of America promoting off-road riding to youth of all ages.

About Honda

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is the sole distributor of Honda motorcycles, ATVs, scooters and personal watercraft in the U.S. American Honda￾fs Motorcycle Division conducts the sales, marketing, and operational activities for these products through Honda authorized dealers. For further information about Honda
products, racing teams, programs, and dealer locations, visit the Honda web site at: www.honda.com.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
I hadn't heard that LaRocco decided not to race it. Wonder why he decided against it?

because he is chickenpoo. he has ridden a 2 stroke since he could walk and cant adjust to a little bit heavier and lot more powerful bike :)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

A big four stroke is probably not the ideal Superscross mount.

My guess is -

If he rode a two stroke in Supercross and a four stroke outdoors, there would be a counter-productive adjustment period. LaRocco wants to do well, both indoors and out.

YZ85er

Aug 8, 2001
Lol....

I wish they (the manufactors) Would either do away with 2 strokes or do away with four strokes i honestly think it is hurting them why not put all the money that is going into the say..... YZ125 into the 250f.... i just dont understand...Any advise?

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
If the 4 banger was "that" good everyone would be riding one. The 125 is still a great bike and good for guys coming off 80's. I still think going from an 80 to a 250F is too much, but someday that will be the deal.
I'm not sure you will see a lot more major changes in the 2 strokes.
Honda seems to think thier new 250 will be a bike they can use for the next 5 years. I will tell you that for me it's been tough going from the 4 banger back to the 2 smoke.
4 strokes seem to be the thing of the future, so enjoy your 2 stroke while you can.
Regards

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
What I think is funny is how every year the manufacturers claim 2-3 hp increases over the previous years. By now we should be on 100hp moon shots! Aren't we all suckers for new bikes though!! I just got a new '01 WR426. Has that new bike smell you just can't get in a can!;)

Sir speedy

Jan 7, 2001
LaRocco has NOT decided......

My Oneal Rider Support Rep Chuck Finley went riding with Larocco last monday. He told Chuck that the option is still open for the nationals but the supercross season was definatly a go for the new CR250...he said to wait until februaury for a decesion of the national ride.
Just my 2 cents.....

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I have a buddy that owns a Honda sjop here in the Dallas area and he told me that is what they announced at the dealer show in Vegas.
That was the only reson I posted that.

D:cool:

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Yep the '02 are out and I have about three hours on one. Feels like tight '01 can't really evaluate the suspension cause I'm running the fork internals that MX Tech did for me 2 years ago, Yamaha hasn't come close to his performance. The shock was stock with just a switch to a 5.8 Kg/mm spring and a quarter turn out on the low speed and 3 clicks on the rebound seemed to pick up everything nicely. Bottoming on the other hand wasn't to supply as it was with MX-Tech rear shock. Power was crisp and much like the '01. Tad more off the bottom, or just cleaner? Starting was as easy as the '01 but has the same annoying problem of being a bugger when stalled in just the right way, otherwise a 1~2 kick starter. The rear section is a bit skinnier fender doesn't protect as well as I rode in mud and rain yesterday. All in all not the quazar leap like from '00 to '01 but that makes the transition to new bike easier. Plastic still turns white:( Have to check if old sprockets fit the new hubs because stock gearing worked fine just swictched the rubberband they put on for a chain. Am going to thrash it some more tonight and will post further impressions later. Hope this helps. Oh yeah no hesitation off idle, but I am running VP C-12 and 158 main 1 3/4 out and the rest stock. And grease everything as Japan must have a shortage.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Did MX Tech do those "less sticky" seals in yours? MX Tech really seems to know these components well from what I've read.

So far so good for the limited amount of time I've been on my WR, but the forks do seem a little sticky. They are new, but have heard it's something that doesn't really get much better. I love the shock though, just the way it is. Even better than the Ohlins on my husaberg and I loved that shock.

mhall

Aug 7, 2001
Speculation on Motorcycle Daily had Fonseca and Ramsey riding a prototype CRF250. This would be logical since they're coming off the 250f's. They also said Carmichael had the option for the 450 if it strikes his fancy.

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
No I use the OEM seals with and old Simons seal grease from way back. I don't know how much of the stiction you would lose with just seals. As most of the friction comes from the stiction bushings and side forces. Make sure you are aligning the forks when you put the front wheel on. Any binding here will be the source of major friction. If the forks are new [under 5hrs.] give them time, lessen compression and speed up the rebound. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom