dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
We're switching from quads to dirtbikes..... that being said, we're newbies to the db's. I just bought a woods CR250, which still has a hit, but with the price and condition, I couldn't turn it down. I can lug it in 3rd if needed and use the clutch to maintain traction and control... Oh, we're coming from 4 strokes. Anyway my question: My 15 year old, about 150 lbs son, is needing a bike too. We were thinking along the lines of a KDX220. But he would really like to have a YZ250F... but costs detour this idea. And there are plenty of 125's out there for sale, for less than a 220. Is it possible to ride a 125 in the woods? YZ, CR, KX, RM of course. Or are they so pipey that they really are better on the track? While I would rather had a 4 stroke myself, the 250 has enough grunt to get me going in the woods.... is the 125 anything like the CR I just bought? Thanks! :ride:

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
agreed, My last bike was 125 with flywheel weight, It was still hard to manage in the tight trails, mud, nasty uphills. Love my KDX 220 for the power delivery and suspension.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Thanks a bunch guys! :cool: You confirmed what I was afraid of and probably made for a kid who will be much happier! Hmmm..... maybe if I put him on a 125, I can be out front again for awhile... :laugh: Thanks again!

sinner 04

Sep 12, 2005
My buddy and i both trail ride 125's, I have a 04 honda and he has a 03 KTM. We both move along pretty good. Unless it's really tight trails we don't have any probs. PS my buddy's a beginner after about 20hrs now he's keeping up with me with very few probs.

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
Senior KX Rider said:
I like the 125s in the woods :cool: Had one of mine bored to 144 and it is a GREAT woods bike

I can 2nd that, You will find that a 144 is MUCH better int the tight stuff. I raced mine all summer, and loved it!!

Dave

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Picking up a KDX220 today.

If all goes well, we'll have a 2002 KDX220 in the back of the truck today on the way home. Sounds good over the phone and my son is excited.

Thanks again for the input guys. It's interesting that you guys are talking 144's... a friend of my son has "what he calls" a 150. It's a YZ. I wonder if its really a woods secret weapon and to think that he believes woods riding is gay. :coocoo:

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
KDX is here.

Well, it wasn't as nice in person, but we brought it home after we agreed on a fair price. The owner truly felt his bike was "a cream puff", and I would disagree, however, I think the owner was truthful and we brought home a good machine... Time will tell.

Once we get our quads sold, we'll start getting both our "new" bikes ready to assault the single track woods trails! We can't wait! :ride:

jbrider

Registered
Oct 6, 2005
kdx220freak said:
the kdx will be better. I am 16 and found that a 125 does not have enough bottom end. The kdx may be a big but no bigger than a 125.
I don't remember you ever having a 125? :think: You have a kdx 220 I agree with that but the only other bike I saw was you're yamaha175???

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom