tbdb

May 5, 2004
I am 5'2", and have been riding a xr200 on relatively flat terrain. I am able to pick it up off the ground 200+ lbs. I am soon to be riding tight mountain trails. I am contemplating either buying a crf150 or a crf230. The 150 feels very comfortable, but the 230 will have more power. My worries are being able to manuever the 230 up in the mountains at my height and the bikes weight of 238 dry weight. What should I buy?

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
tbdb said:
I am 5'2", and have been riding a xr200 on relatively flat terrain...I am soon to be riding tight mountain trails...The 150 feels very comfortable, but the 230 will have more power. My worries are being able to manuever the 230 up in the mountains at my height and the bikes weight of 238 dry weight.

I started with an XR200 as well and I'm 5'6". Although its a great bike the suspension is much to be desired. Both the CRF150 & 230's suspension is much better than the 200. I've ridden the 230 and even at my height, the bike was a bit too tall for me. I could barely touch the ground. YOu can always lower it a bit and shave the seat. It also depends on how long you've been riding. If you are a seasoned pro, then you probably don't have to touch the ground. The CRF150 is a big wheel, smaller wheelbase and smaller tires. Also 2 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter than the 230. If the mountain trails you are going to ride have long rocky sections, it will be nice to be able to put your feet down every so often to go over some of the rocks (150). The shorter wheelbase and lightness of the bike will also make the 150 easier to maneuver in tight windy trails. If you are worried about the power, you can always bore the 150 engine for more power. I rode a BBR150 that was bored out to 170 and it was enough power to get up hills and the like. The power was more like a 2-stroke, very zippy. The 230's power is a lot smoother but come's on slower. Another option would be to get a BBR Bike with a 230 engine in it. I just got one and it's great. Small and light enough for me with the power and electric start of the 230. Let us know what you decide on and good luck.

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
I looked at the 150 for my daughter, I rode it but was unimpressed. Its a great adult beginners bike, but underpowered and over weight. I kept her XR100 and added motor and suspension goodies, it eats 150s for breakfast!

The 150 weighs 216, the 230 weighs 238. Either way they are chunky bikes, but at least the 230 has 50%+ more displacement. Shave the seat, get a lowering link, raise the forks a little, make it fit and enjoy the extra power.

Robert

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
I was completly sold on my KX100 after riding tight, technical & steep trails in our local moutains. I would have never made it to or out of some the places I went if I was on my YZ125. There were so many narrow & sudden places I needed to put my foot down and at 5'4" (with short legs)- I would have more than likely toppled over. Then on the down hills, the bike was so much more agile than the 125 - I could place the bike where I wanted where the 125 was more apt to take me where it wanted. I have way more confindence on the 100 than the 125. Same goes for the track, which is where I ride 95% of the time.

I cant say much on the 4 stroke vs the 2 stroke other than when I rode the RM150 4stroke, I felt like I was on mo-ped! No thanks! The 250F's sound like they are a dream as far as the motor goes but I just can ride a big bike like I can a little bike.

The worst thing about my 100 is that it can be a real challenge to control on the more vertical climbs. I believe one can easily fix that problem. But every where else it is easy to get into the power band and stay there. My bike is definatly perfect for the MX track. It has plenty of power (still more than I use) and is set up for my weight. You would just have to set it up little more for trails.

tbdb

May 5, 2004
I went with th crf150f

I decided to go with the 150 :ride: . It seemed the better choice for my riding experience and height. I opened up the intake on the air filter, and took out the restricter in the tailpipe. This thing has some definate power. It is the perfect bike. I am breaking it in still, so I have yet to see it's full power. I love it and am very happy!! Thank you all for your help, it made my decision easier :thumb:

tbdb

Top Bottom