May 22, 2007
Hey,

I am 16 years old and just got a 1985 CR250 for like $700.00.It runs,But I am too small to start it.Is there any tips or tricks that I need to know? It has ALOT of Compression,And the only person who can start it is my friend Zack who has a CR125 but it's newer than mine.Is there any tips or tricks I can do to start it easily?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If your average size for 16, you're big enough to start it. Just wear riding boots when starting it. You will destroy your foot in tennis shoes.
I hate to be mean, but if you are really too small to start it, you may be too light to safely ride it.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Or you'll destroy your tennis shoes like I did. Try standing on a milk crate while you try to start it or have your buddy hold you up.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
i usually just hold onto a tre or something beside me and kick. but try this, kick the bike lightly untill you feel it when its right at its top stoke. where you can feel compression then kick it hard from there, that usually works for me.

May 22, 2007
Thanks for all the help,And when I get someone to hold the bike for me so I can stand up and start it it's not a problem then.But I am still getting used to it and all.It's fun to ride,But just alittle hard to start for me.Also I am having radiator Problems.I put the Honda Fluid in it like the people at the local motorcycle shop and I put the coolant in and then I ran it and then it looked empty them put more in ran it again and did the same thing.Whats wrong??? Is their a leak or is it so old that it's designed to evaporate or sompthing?? Please let me know.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
crazymotoxrider said:
Thats the problem I fill it up to the top and then I run it and then it's gone.

Do as foxforks suggested and drain your transmission oil. If the oil looks milky, you most likely have a bad water pump seal or a hole in your case. Those mid to late 80's CR's had a lot of magnesium content in the cases and if you run plain water with your coolant instead of distilled water, it would eat through your case. If the tranny oil looks milky, remove your right side case and inspect the water pump area.

When you add coolant to your radiators, be sure to mix 50/50 coolant and DISTILLED WATER.

Make sure your radiatior cap is good. It could be blowing the coolant out of the overflow.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I second the distilled water comment. I ran tap water for a couple of weeks because I needed water. Afterwards, my radiators were completely plugged with scale and corrosion. I was able to clean them out but will always carry distilled water with me from now on.

May 22, 2007
I will do that...I mean You can hear it boiling after I get done riding.What about the Air Filter?? It still has the original Air Filter lol,And it's all clogged and Crumbly...Could that cause it to overhead and boil and evaporate?? I am using the Honda Coolant that they told me to use at Iron Horse Motor Cycles.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Your bike has serious issues. Fix them before you damage anything. You should not be running the bike if the air filter is clogged and crumbly. You should not be running the bike if the cooling system can't maintain pressure, the fluid is boiling, and you're losing it at a high rate. Parts for a 1985 CR 250 are not always easy to come by and can be quite expensive. Repair things before you start breaking them.

May 22, 2007
I will,And thanks for the concern.I haven't been running it much really...I am just trying to figure out the cooling problem.Do You think that replacing the air filter will help it from over heating??

May 22, 2007
The people at Iron Horse told me the same about the Cap deal.He said it could be loosing air pressure from being a Bad Cap or sompthing,But they did tell me that the Air Filter is part of the Problem.So HOPEFULLY I will get it right.Any other suggestions on what could be the problem?

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
crazymotoxrider said:
But they did tell me that the Air Filter is part of the Problem.

i dont see how the air filter is a problem. if the bike gets too hot and the coolant boils you will be able to notice it.......a lot.

May 22, 2007
I put in a new air filter,And replaced the silencer packing,And it's still overheating..You can hear it boiling and ALOT of the Coolant is coming out of the overflow hose from the radiator..Whats wrong with it???

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
First, start it and run it with the radiator cap off. Make sure the water pump is circulating water. If you give it a rev, you should see a lot of water moving through the radiator. If the water pump is working, your system isn't holding pressure. Pull the water pump cover and check for pinholes in the right side cover. Pull the head and check for head gasket leaks. Replace the radiator cap.

May 22, 2007
Thanks for the help,I more than appreciate it.I am almost certain it's the Radiator Cap because when I pull it off it doesn't make the pressureized sound like it should,So my best guess is it's the cap.If it's not I will do the things You said.Thanks for the help!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom