RM125Guy

Jun 30, 2001
Hello, I've had my this YZ for about 2 months now and im wondering if it is a descent bike to build up and race? I know Jeff Howe had one and did great on it. But compared to the newer bikes is mine worth putting money in it to race just locally? Basically will mine ever be able to pull its own compared to a brand new bike? Right now it has a pro circuit works pipe and factory sound silencer,pivot works swingarm and shock bearings,new ufo plastics, Factory effex graphics kit and seat cover, and twin air filter. It still has a yamaha piston in it would it benefit from a wiseco?? Thanks for your opinions and time...

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
i know from experience that newer bikes are alot better for racing, but if your only going out to race and have some fun cause thats what racing is all about, having fun. The first thing i would suggest is that you get new tires front and back this will give you alot better confidence and help you build up some speed, putting a wiseco piston isn't a bad idea alltho it wont help you win races. So ya you can race a 93 if you want just make sure you have some fun, i raced my 85cr250 all last summer and i'm planning to use it as a spare bike this summer. A old 250 2 stroke motor will have almost as much peek horse power then any newer bikes but the motor will usually have a much smaller powerband making it a on-off power feeling compared to new bikes. You could get Eric to port your cylinder for the type of power you like more that will make you faster on the track also. The main upgrade on newer bikes that you will lack is suspension you could get it revalved or you might think its ok as it is . Go ahead race your bike, see how you do and then try to improove some things as you go along. Have fun!

Top Bottom