1995+ KDX200 Rear subframe under fender grab bar picture needed

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I am resurrecting the the CraigsList beater 95 KDX, and trying to weld back on all the parts the previous owners lost in the woods.

I need a decent picture of the furthest aft brace on the tail section frame. I got the microfiche picture, which makes it look like the thing sits close to 2" tall, but I also saw a picture of a KDX200 frame on eBay that looked a lot different. The angle was bad, but that brace appeared to be pretty low, like 1" or so.

I am going to have to fabricate a replacement for it. It looks like it just stabilizes the rear subframe, and gives a fender / tail light mounting point. But I want to try and get it close.

So if anyone has a good picture handy of this thing that would go a long way. And if anyone would be willing to go out and make a couple measurements, it would be greatly appreciated. Somebody show a little love for a long neglected 95 and let the healing begin! :)

The measurements I could use are:

1) Total width between frame rails where the rearmost tail section bracket mounts measured from the inside of each rail.

2) Total height of that rearmost bracket, measured from the top of the frame bar to the top of the bracket.

3) Total width of the top of that rearmost bracket (it looks like it gets narrower as it goes up).

Thanks so much for anyone who can help!

You can see the missing chunk of frame and missing bracket below... The frame section is already welded back on after I took this picture, I am working on the bracket now.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Ugh... how the heck to do you image link here? Anyway, the picture is (I think) attached...

Attachments

• KDX200apart.jpg
    KDX200apart.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 473

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
100_4429.jpg
Is this what you are talking about?

100_4430.jpg
Width of tubes is 5.25" I.D. at rear of bracket.

100_4431.jpg
Height is 1.062" above top of subframe tube.

You are correct; the bracket is 6" wide at the bottom, 5" wide at the top.

Mud

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
My cross brace was missing but still had both tubes all the way to the rear so I cut mine off rite before the last bend and reused the plugs and added so foam tape on top of the tube to reduce the buzzing sound from the rear fender to frame.
if I recall the rear fender has 2 bolts to the frame and 3 to the air box so I said heck with it on the crossbrace but still wanted something to grab under the fender to pull it up out of whatever I stick it in

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
No kidding about the tire! The sellers were a couple of young guys. Seemed like nice enough guys, but they were pretty optimistic about the condition of the bike.

I talked to them on the phone before I drove the 2 hours to look at it, because there was a local one in good shape for $1500. I specifically asked about tire condition, (they said it still has some wear left), any frame damage (they said great, I count 9 welds that will have to be repaired) and wheel / rim condition (they said great, the rear wheel is completely missing a spoke).

The engine feels sound though, and all the really expensive bits are there and mostly intact, and they took my offer for $850. I'll no doubt be up to $1300 before I get the thing to a functional restoration, but I enjoy getting to know a bike, and I am sidelined from riding for the season for an ACL tear anyway. If I can't be riding, I might as well be wrenching.

Those pictures are really helpful... that will actually be a pretty easy piece to fabricate. I'm glad you posted it, the part that I had created based on my interpretation of the factory parts diagram was nowhere close to that.

Top Bottom