89 KDX rear fender identification "Help!"

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Howdy people. I have a rear fender for a 1989 KDX that I am trying to identify. I think it is UFO brand. It was manufactured in
Italy. The problem is that the fender is in new condition, but the
complete tail light assembly is missing, and hoped to find the replacement for it. If any of you have a UFO fender for an 89-94, and you have a spare minute, look under your fender and measure the dimensions of the screw dimples for the tail light. The dimples on my fender measure approx 3.5" x 3.5". Also....does anyone know where this part may be ordered within the US. May be fighting a lost cause. Take care people.

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
(KDX357): Because late in the evenings, usually on the weekends, I like to sit in my garage and guzzle down a few beers in the dark, while my wife rythmically taps the brake lever to the beat of some old school "Kraftwerk" or maybe even "ELO". With the various mirrors and the fog machine....its quite a kick. I just sit back in my folding beach chair and become one with the scene. Pizza is made in Italy too. Actually....since I am restoring this bike...I thought it might be nice to put a fully functional rear fender on it instead of an incomplete one.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
i hate to burst your bubble but the 89 dont have a taillight mine doesnt and there are no wire that even go back there so if you want a light you need a aftermarket one then hook it up to the headlight circuit

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
My bubbles are in good shape, but you may want to check yours. The original Kawasaki fender on this bike had a tail lamp, and all the wiring is still
on the bike. I would use the original fender, but it is in miserable shape. If you decide to put the original enduro style fender instead of the mx type, swing over to http:/www.kawasaki.com and check out the parts diagram for the 89, you will see the lighted rear fender there. Take care.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
mine had the stock rear fender till i put a 90 kx 250 fender on with super heavy modification looks great though maybe mine was a early model difference or something because my friends 1990 kdx 200 has the light there is a small hole in the fender under the seat (behind the airbox) where the wires go if you have them i guess hey no offence im just trying to help

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
KDX357:Not offended at all. Appreciate the help. Have a KX fender which had been modiified (cut and riveted). Picked it up with some other spare parts. Problem is....when I mounted it...there was a rather significant gap between the rear of the seat and the fender. Does yours meet up well with the seat? Would like to see picture if you have one. Lemme know. Thanks.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
the way i did it was just trim down the fender in the back just enough to push it as close as i could to the seat then i drilled holes for the back mount and pivoted it around till i found a good angle so it would look ok. then i pulled the seat and thought aboout the gap between where the fender mounts up to the frame in the back (right behind the airbox )and there was an inch to two inches of gap i drilled a flat piece of metal (about 1/8 inch thick) to have the mounting holes and bolted it up . it looks a little off because of the gapbetween it and the seat but i think it makes the bike look a ton better. i think a kx 500 rear fender will mount up great because they have identical seats. also i went to buykawasaki.com and cut/pasted both diagrams(kdx and kx500). the backs are identical the only problem with the 90 fender is it has a less steep angle of a back so it needs super heavy mods .there is about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the seat and fender and a gap from the top of the seat to the top of the fender. i put it on and looks better than stock but if i ever need a new rear one ill get a universal ufo one (for less than$20) because the angle in the back matches.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Canon. It should be simple to id. If memory serves me right the Acerbis fender has the same shape indentation as the stock fender and accepts the stock light. UFO fenders are sold with their own light that's much more square than the stock light. I've never seen Acerbis plastic without their name molded into the plastic. I've never seen anything but "made in Italy" molded into UFO fenders. Sounds to me like you have a UFO fender. Yes they sell complete replacement lights for their fenders. It should take the universal square type. Check here for a pic. http://www.mxsouth.com/ufo/ufotailliass.htm If the screw pattern is basically square then this is very likely the animal you're looking for.

David

Top Bottom