2000 Cr250...no Bottom End Power!! Help!

dags

Oct 2, 2005
I just bought a 2000 CR250, and the thing has no bottom end snap. It has a fresh top end with only about 5 hours on it. It feels like a 125 how you have to wait a couple seconds for the power band to come on. I just sold a 2000 CR250 a month or so ago that had literally twice the bottom end power this bike has. It has a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer (as did my old bike) but this one has a fold in the pipe right after the cylinder. Could this be the problem???? I just re-installed the stock exhaust, and I haven't gotton to ride the bike yet to see if the bent exhaust was the problem or not. But, I don't know who rebuilt the top end and didn't know if the RC Valve was adjusted wrong or something. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance, and sorry I wrote a book here.

Darin

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If its as bad as you say, it sounds like the powervalve is stuck open.

There is an inspection plug for the powervalve on the left side of the cylinder. Remove the plug and start the bike. The shaft under the inpsection cover should turn 90 degrees as you rev the bike up as the power valve goes from closed to open.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
If its as bad as you say, it sounds like the powervalve is stuck open.

yep. i had that bike also. once when i did the top-end, i didn't get the powervalve lever at the bottom of the cylinder lined up right so the powervalve was stuck open. it felt like a 125 with 45 hp. i'm sure that's your problem.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the lever was not lined up properly when the cylinder was installed, you will have to raise the cylinder up to reposition it. Probably need a base gasket and a little bit of your time to repair it.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i was able to salvage my base gasket but i noticed the problem immediately after doing the top-end. if yours really has 5 hours on it, the base gasket will probably tear apart. i wonder why someone would ride 5 hours with that kind of problem? mine was nearly unrideable.

dags

Oct 2, 2005
Thanks guys! I'm going to check into it tomorrow night. I rode it a little bit today with the stock exhaust and it seemed to run a little better without a damaged pipe, but still not up to par.

Top Bottom