2000 Cr250...no Bottom End Power!! Help!

dags

Oct 2, 2005
I just bought a 2000 CR250, and the thing has no bottom end snap. It has a fresh top end with only about 5 hours on it. It feels like a 125 how you have to wait a couple seconds for the power band to come on. I just sold a 2000 CR250 a month or so ago that had literally twice the bottom end power this bike has. It has a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer (as did my old bike) but this one has a fold in the pipe right after the cylinder. Could this be the problem???? I just re-installed the stock exhaust, and I haven't gotton to ride the bike yet to see if the bent exhaust was the problem or not. But, I don't know who rebuilt the top end and didn't know if the RC Valve was adjusted wrong or something. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance, and sorry I wrote a book here.

Once the powerband starts, it runs just as good as my old bike. It pulls HARD all the way through the whole rpm range, it's just the "turbo lag" ;) at the bottom that sucks.

Darin

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Check the powervalve to see if it moves when revving the motor. I think it's a 17mm bolt on the left side of the cylinder above the ignition cover that is removed to check. If it's not moving, my guess is whoever did the top end didn't line up the linkage when the cylinder was lowered onto the cases.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Power valve, jetting, reed valves can all contribute to this. Sorry to be a stickler but the RC valve didnt come around till 02 bikes I believe, unless that bike has a newer head.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
slickpuss said:
Power valve, jetting, reed valves can all contribute to this. Sorry to be a stickler but the RC valve didnt come around till 02 bikes I believe, unless that bike has a newer head.

Incorrect, the 02 has that valve.

My guess is that the linkage wasn't aligned correctly when the cylinder was reinstalled.

jbO250f

Damn Yankees
Sep 13, 2005
lmao, wat did u expect when u bpught a 2stroke? lots of bottom end? the fold in the exhaust is deff. the problem unless u blew the top end. :coocoo:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
jbO250f said:
lmao, wat did u expect when u bpught a 2stroke? lots of bottom end? the fold in the exhaust is deff. the problem unless u blew the top end. :coocoo:

My CR250 has plenty of bottom end power. It didn't stock, but Eric Gorr fixed that problem. Best of all, I don't have ANY valvetrain components to check, adjust, or pay for, ever. :cool:

dags

Oct 2, 2005
jbO250f said:

If you re-read my post, I said it has none compared to my old bike that was virtually identical to the bike I have now. It says nothing about "My bike has no bottom end power compared to my buddies CRF450". The end. :laugh:

dags

Oct 2, 2005
Thanks for the help fellas!

I changed the exhaust back to stock, and it did make an improvement, but still not quite up to par. I'm going to check out the power valve and see what's going on in there. Thanks again for the advice!!!

dags

Oct 2, 2005
OK, I rode my buddies 2000 CR125 tonight, and maybe my bottom end power isn't soooo bad after all. :) It isn't what my other bike was, but DAMN....that 125 had absolutely NOTHING at the bottom.

Top Bottom