KDXCanuk

Jul 10, 2007
The bike won't pull strong into the higher RPM. It pulls well off idle, and starts and runs well.

When accellerating from a stop it just won't fully rev out. It revs to a point and then the engine starts to sputter a bit and the bike doesn't cleanly rev out to max RPM.

I am new to the bike and am not sure what the problem may be. I am pretty sure that it should rev higher and the power come on much stronger than what I am experiencing.

I have removed and cleaned the carb and airfilter. It has a new plug and fresh gas (tank was drained first). I am running 32:1 dinosaur oil.

Any ideas where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
Stock 220's don't rev out very well - with mods is a different story. That being said, if you're too rich on the main (with or without mods) it will gurgle and hestitate on top.

What is your setup (jetting and mods)?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Did it used to run cleanly on top?

If it has always run that way, I would suspect that your main jet is too rich. Do you have a plug fouling problem? The stock KDX jetting is overly rich. Is it posible that you are still running stock jetting? Also, the stock airbox is pretty restrictive. You can remove the lid or put some holes in the lid and remove the snorkel. That could help fix your rich condition too.

If it used to run cleanly but won't any longer, I would suspect a rich condition caused by a clogged air filter or a clogged pipe/silencer. It could also be that your KIPS valve(s) is no longer operating properly.

KDXCanuk

Jul 10, 2007
The bike is stock. No mods. It has stock jetting with a 142 Main and a 42 Pilot. I haven't checked the needle number or position.

The bike is new to me, so I don't know if it ran well before. When I test rode it, the guy selling it said that the bike had sat for over a year and the old gas was causing it to run poorly.

What is a common main/ pilot to run? I am at 2000ft.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
The last KDX I had was an '89 model, but I'm pretty sure it had a high and a low speed coil in the stator. If the high speed coil were bad, it would run like it was rich - we had it happen on my son's KX80. It pulled fine up to a certain RPM then all of the sudden it would run just as you are describing. Took us forever to diagnose. Someone on here should be able to confirm about the stator..........

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
You should be pretty close on the jetting assuming 2000 ft at 70 degrees. If its stock its going to be a dog on top, but it should at least run well. The carb may need to be cleaned???

gofteacher

Mar 19, 2006
You might want to pull the pet **** off and check the two filters (main and reserve). If the bike sat for that long with fuel in the tank there a good chance the oil coagulated in the screens. That was the case when I bought my 03 that sat for a year. Pull the crappy internal filter off and just use a inline filter externally.
:)

Rich

KDXCanuk

Jul 10, 2007
Thanks for all the input.

It seems like the bike is jetted close to what it should be. The carb is clean, the filter clean and oiled, the plug is new. The choke is functioning properly.

I am down to three posible problems:
1. KIPS may not be working right (any idea how to check?)
2. High rpm CDI not functioning (any idea how to check?)
3. It is all in my head.

I have read the 220 doesn't rev like a 200. Maybe this 220 is performing as it should. It does seem weird that I barely get going in 1st and I have to change gears (stock gearing).

Can anyone else confirm that the bike either doesn't rev much at all or that they have to change from first very quickly or the bike wont rev any higher?

Top Bottom