DRECKFRESSER

May 29, 2003
I bought a 03 kdx 200 last september and during an inspection of the suspension linkage I noticed that the bearing and bushing in the connection of the rear shock to the swingarm assembly where totaly gone! The bolt was the only thing left in the huge hole and you can only imagine how banged up that was. The whole piece is pretty banged up and probably will not hold a bearing anymore.

Has anyone ever had this problem with a fairly new bike?
I`m an average woods/trail rider at best and have never jumped this bike very high or had any real bad wrecks yet(knock on wood).
It just seems to me that this shouldnt have broken so soon.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
kdx are sensitive to this problem.you must inspect this bearing every ride and grease verry often.to give you a idea i replace this bearing twice a season.

to inspect put your bike on a stand and check for loose by moving swing arm up and down.

at your point you should not ride the bike anymore.You have to dissasemble the thing and bring it to a machine shop to insert a sleeve in the broken hole or buy a new one.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Bearings don't come well lubed from the factory.
If you have ridden alot through water or power washed your bike and sprayed it directly onto the linkage area, you have had water come into the bearings, rust and crumble to bits.
How to fix this. take the linkage off the bike and get new bearing. Place it up near the hole and see what roundedness has occured and nicks of metal are in the way. Maybe it is just nicked and a small file can help you out. If you have rounded it, well maybe your toast. Someone may have a fix like jpweld but I am not sure it it will withstand pressures placed on it.
This would be a good time to also take the whole swingarm off and inspect those bearings too. To check if they are toast even before you take the s-arm off, raise the bike so the s-warm is hanging there. With the linkage bit off, raise and lower the swingarm(tire off too) and if any grinding is felt when moving it about, you know you have some more money to shell out.
The needle bearing for the shock is the most vulnerable one of the bunch but it sounds that since it is totally gone, you have more troubles to go through.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I avoided this problem and avoid replacing the bearings by installing greasing zerks on the wishbone, suspension linkage and swingarm pivot. I posted some pictures on the web. Of course, I remove the zerks prone to damage and install a pressure plug for riding. No mo problemo.

Good luck.

http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/zerkyourkdx.msnw

DRECKFRESSER

May 29, 2003
The zerk fiitings are a great idea. How do they stay in. Threaded?

The S arm is toast and the bolt is toast also. I have greased the bearings before and they where fine. What bogles me is that the bushing seemed stout and even if the bearing came out how would the bushing come off. Both sides of the s arm are sealed by plates on either side that connect to the shock assembly.

I`ll just order another one. 120$ for the arm and 65 for the bearings. Thanks for the tips!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No-one else seems to have a problem with this.....I'm lost somewhere.

re: 'I noticed that the bearing and bushing in the connection of the rear shock to the swingarm assembly where totaly gone!'

This is a reference to the bottom shock mount, correct? Where it bolts to the unitrack? The unitrack has the bearing press-fit. Is this, 'Both sides of the s arm are sealed by plates' a reference to the bottom of the shock?

What does that have to do with, 'The S arm is toast ..'? Is the 'S arm' the swingarm? For $120?

Huh?

There is no bearing and bushing. There is a bearing and a sleeve. The bushing is on the TOP of the shock. What about the grease seals that fit on either side of the lower shock mount bearing. Where were they? They aren't going to disappear.

I haven't priced a unitrack knuckle. $120 sounds cheap considering what oem kawi prices usually are.

AND I don't think you'll get everything you need bearing-wise for $65. You need seals for the shock mount, the pull rods and sleeves for everything.

Even bolts for crying out loud if that has been the 'bearing' surface. Last bolts I got for my devol pullrods were $15/ea..and the nuts were $5!!

Something is very wrong with this picture.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Welcome to the club. If the shock mount bearing was destroyed and the bolt/sleeve was riding directly on the rocker arm, then the rocker arm hole is probably galled and elongated. If it is, then the rocker arm is toast and you’ll need a new one. About $125 two three seasons ago when I had to buy mine. Sometimes you can find one on ebay, but don’t count on it. You’ll also need a Pivotworks bearing kit (~$78) which is cheaper than buying all the bearings, sleeves and seals from Kawi. The small shock bearing needs to be inspected and greased 2 –3 times a year. It will last a good while if you keep to that minimum schedule. The swingarm and larger rocker bearings will last indefinitely if you take care of them. Water is the enemy. Never ever spray a pressure washer directly at the rocker arm.

DRECKFRESSER

May 29, 2003
Thanks BRush.
You described it perfectly. The seals, sleeve and bearings where completely gone. The "Rocker arm" hole is very elongated. The prices I was given where 120 and 65 for the bearing set.+ discount. I guess I learned the hard way to check these after every ride. :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom