2003 rm 250 drc ebc kevlar clutch

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
Okay, after searching this site (unsuccessfully) for related topics i have been relegated to post my own. I have a 2003 rm250 with a full hinson clutch. We'll say for this purpose that all the hinson parts are for a 2004 rm 250. I have ordered from suzuki the only two parts that differ between the 2003 and 2004 model year and have installed them with the hinson parts. I also installed a new oem clutch kit just before installing the hinson parts and a magura hydraulic. At first i noticed a bit of slipping in 3rd now 2nd etc. I have purchased a DRC EBC Kevlar clutch kit from Dennis kirk. The stack is about 2 mm shorter and the springs are about 15mm shorter but with more tension. So, last evening I installed this clutch only to discover all of the above to be true. did i get the wrong kit or am i missing something. I do all my own work on my bikes and others bikes as well but this has me stumped!!!!!!!

Moose run june 2-3 2006 morrison il

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
It has to be the wrong kit if you have the same number of plates as stock.

By the way, Hinson specifically states in their literature not to use kevlar plates with their hubs or baskets.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
good to know. actually the kit comes with 9 plates and discs as opposed to the stock 8 i'm sending it back tuesday thanks

+30

Aug 2, 2005
wait your saying you had slipping with a complete stock kit, then went to an aftermarket kit and had the same slipping? I have an ebc standard race kit on standby in the garage and stock kit in the bike, I could check the stack height springs and number of plates and post back later tonite when get home from work, maybe you were given the correct kit after all. not sure how to adj the hyd clutch never owned one? I hear they self adjust so this has me stumped, did you soak the plates for a bit before installing?, one note the inner and outter stock plates are diffenent part number. the pressure plate push rod bearing facing the correct way?(i doubt that would be a big deal though) curious what kind of oil?

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
it was fine with the stock kit but i felt it was time to upgrade. the stack height was anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" difference. and the springs were at least 3/8" shorter.
as far as the hydraulic clutch (which i will never go without again) it is fully self adjusting. i did coat the plates before installing them but found that after everything bas tightened up i could turn my pressure plate with just one finger. this is what led me to compare the stack height and then the springs. The bearing is facing the right was and i use only belray oils. I cannot figure this one out. so i think what ill do i put in a few washers on the spring bolts just to get me through the moose run this weekend and then buy another stocker (cork) kit.

Top Bottom