Jan 3, 2007
KTM has made some new bikes and here they are.
The new "R" model motors will come in the 2008 KTM 450 and 530 XCW models. The R motor has simplified maintenance, better reliability, separate crankcase and tranny oil and oil systems, optimized off-road powerbands, new waterpump location, less weight, electric and kick starters, 6-speed boxes, single OH cam, bigger clutch, and a single oil filter.
also

There will be off-road oriented versions of the 65, 85, and 105 for 2008. The new XC's will have side stands, altered gearing(from SX), hand guards, rim locks, and O-ring chains, plus off-road tuned suspension and quieter mufflers.

How cool is that?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I find it odd that they say "quieter exhausts" for the woods-ready versions. They should all be as quiet as possible IMO.

Jan 3, 2007
Moose, yeah but the older modles were mostly track made bikes so the louder they are the fast they might go, but we all know that you need back pressure to make your power better.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Looks like we are going to run a 530 at the Baja 500 next June...skipping this year to save $$$ for next year

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Right now the KTM XC's have SX mufflers. My buddy's 06 450XC tested at 101dBA a few weeks ago. My other buddy's 07 250XC (two-stroke) was 85dBA. Quieter mufflers on the thumpers would be a good thing.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
The 530 does sound like a great reason to upgrade!

Lighter, more powerfull, and Less Maintenance sounds to good to be true, and here I was thinking that I might get a smaller bike for the rocky low speed single track I like ;)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Ya, I don't need the 5hundy's anymore but for those times when I want to climb some big hills :)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
My big bore SXF is actually about the best amount and delivery of power I have owned to date for gnarly, rocky tight woods. The bike is as light as a 200 yet has torque and power all over the 400RFS engines and revs w/ much more authority. Its only weakness was how hard I had to ride it compared to the big 525 last year at Baja during pre-running as it still had the close gear box and just wasn't as flexible as the 525 in the open stuff. It pulled 14/46 gearing no problem but could only manage about 88-90 mph.

Sooo if this new 530 has the same power characteristics as the little 312, I'm going to be a happy camper next June in Mexico...not to mention the SXF based frames handle ridiculously good

Last edited:

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
And some of the 2008 2 strokes are electric start. And it won't add extra weight to the bike either. The 08 250 xc is 2 lbs lighter than last years.

maddogYZ

Aug 24, 2007
An electric start 2 stroke...thats absurd!! The E start adds nearly 9lbs, totally not worth it IMO. If you need e start you might as well wear a pink skirt and go buy a four stroke :nod:

May 10, 2007
maddogYZ said:
An electric start 2 stroke...thats absurd!! The E start adds nearly 9lbs, totally not worth it IMO. If you need e start you might as well wear a pink skirt and go buy a four stroke :nod:
4 strokes are harder to kick because of the bigger bore and compression

all of the 2008's have the ablity to have e start too.

this thread is really old too.

Jan 3, 2007
flyingfuzzball, the really reason for hard starting is the amount of strokes it takes to get a 4 stroke going. I have a 465 2 stroke witch has about a 12:1 comp rating and its a bigger bore then a 450 and alot harder to start. If people took the time to start a 4 stroke properly then it would start 1st or second kick evey time. But this is really old.

Top Bottom