firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I have read some threads about riding the KDX on the dunes, but was wondering how some of you bigger guys have done with you bike on the dunes? I have a '92 KDX 200 with FMF pipe, boyesen reeds, air filter lid removed, RB carb mod, and 12/47 gearing. I am planning on putting on a 8 paddle tire and jetting a little rich. Some people say to add 2 links to the chain and move up a couple teeth on the rear. Is this necessary? I am not going to be riding the big stuff or trying to go up the biggest bowls. I am basically going with my 10 year old to putt around on the beach and do some of the smaller dunes which he can handle. Any advice on setup and your experience riding sand and dunes would be greatly appreciated. We will be hitting the dunes 5/6 times this summer so I want to set things up right. I love my KDX and dont want to go to a 250mx bike, because the KDX cant handle the sand.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Your KDX can handle the sand without any issues. Its going to work harder than a 250 but thats to be expected. I'd say jet it very fat, 160+ on the main as the sand really loads up the engine good. I'm not sure if your going to want a 6 or 8 paddle tire.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
In some threads, guys say 8 paddle is the way to go, but in others, some say 6. I wont be riding the large soft dunes since my son cant handle that stuff yet, so I want the right setup for the small dune riding and beach riding we will be doing. Does a 6 paddle cause less wear and tear on the bike? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I've never ridden my KDX in the sand but here's what I know about paddle tires. The more paddles you have the harder it's gonna be to turn. My buddy runs a 10 paddle on his CRF 450 and my buddy that has a RM 250 run's a 8 paddle. Another guy in our group bought a 6 paddle for his yz 125 but never ran it cuz the bike did fine in the sand without one. You'd prolly be ok for awhile wiht jsut your regular tire since you wont be tackling anything big. If you really want one I'd prolly put a 8 paddle on it.

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
I ran my "01 (pipe, reeds, bored, Etc.) with an 8 paddle. It did fine with my 185# at Glamis here in So. Cal. I dropped the counter shaft to a 12. Gearing was fine, but, I found out the hard way that it didn't get my wheel back far enough to clear the mud flap/shock guard when the tire circumfrence grew at speed! I thought my new motor was coming apart! But, it just cost me a new flap. The next time I added a link and it was cool. Have fun!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the input guys. Canadian Dave suggested a 6 paddle on one thread, but another guy who rides his KDX at the dunes here in Oregon said an 8 paddle did fine. I just dont want the motor to work any harder than it has to on the sand. I will definetely add a couple links to my chain to clear the mud flap. My bike has an RB carb mod so it is already has a 152 main jet up 2 from the stock 150. Is this enough for dune riding or should I go up more? Thanks again for all of the help. I have even considered selling the KDX and getting a KX 250 if the KDX isnt dune worthy, but it sounds like it should do fine on the smaller stuff. I love the bike because it is so versitile. What other bike could you ride tight trails, open fire roads, desert, and dunes without many changes to the bike. I dont think the KX could do all of that as well as the KDX.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Your going to want to push the main up to a 160 or a 162. The sand really loads the engine and the extra fuel/oil helps keep everything cool and in a non-broken state.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Hey, I just talked to a shop in the southern cal area who sells paddles and he suggested a 6 paddle for the KDX. He said that an 8 is for the 250's and up. Anyway, I ordered 1 and I will let you know how it turns out. I also found a rear wheel on *****bay and will have that for the paddle. Should I really go from a 152 main jet up to a160 or 162? If anyone has ridden at the dunes or beach let me know. I have my bike mods on the 1st part of this thread and just want to make sure I have the right jetting for the dunes and beach. I will also call Ron at RB designs to see what he says. Thanks again and keep the help coming. Seems like not many of you do the dunes/beach stuff with your KDX's.

nwjohn

Aug 4, 2004
Hi, we ride the oregon dunes a lot , my wife rides a kdx and runs a 8 paddle , I leave the chain and just take off the dust guard , i do recommend either one because you can ruin your air box .
as far as jetting , the air at the oregon dunes at the beach is the most dense fresh air there is , so jet up , i have seen many bikes seized up on the beach . we run a 158 main i think . but she rides very conservative.
We ride the horesfall , spinreel and winchester bay areas the most . Just be sure that your sound level is ok and your flags are tall enough and john law will leave you alone ,
have fun!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks everyone for your input. I emailed Ron at RB design and he suggested a 160 main and 42 pilot for dunes. He also suggested a pre filter for the air filter. I just go my 6 paddle today and will be getting a spare rear wheel I picked up on ***** bay. I am going to add a couple links to main chain and I should be set. I am going to Florence, OR in 2 weeks and let you all know how it went.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
OK I just got back from riding my KDX on the dunes for the first time. My opinion is definitely get the 6 paddle. I think the 8 would pull the KDX out of the power too much and too easily. I ran just my knobby and by putting my weight on the back could pull it out of the power band in higher gears quite easily. The sand here it still fairly wet underneath though.

Top Bottom