babycleatus

Oct 19, 2004
Im going to Little Sahara sand dunes over spring break. and I have a stock kdx 200 im getting a 110 100 18 8 paddle in the rear and am wondering if I need a pipe for the dunes, has anyone taken their kdx to the dunes and if so is a pipe a necessity

ps: I love this bike, ive ridden all over east and north Texas.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Hi BC,

I have an 04 220 and its ALOT of fun in the sand! Last November I was at Pismo Beach for three days here in California...

I had the Gnarly Desert (rev) pipe on it at that time, and NO paddle, and I was more concerned with overheating than with hooking up since I spent alot of time throwing nice roost and subsequently not going very fast much of the time :)

I'm a newb now and was even more of one then, and so I can't intelligently comment on wether or not a rev pipe is a "necessity", but in many cases I was WOT and DEFINITELY on the pipe to get out of some areas and perhaps in that way it helped, but you'll have a paddle and I hear that makes a huge difference. You won't be needing to get that rear wheel lit up like me just to get moving :)

Before you head out to the sand just makes sure your radiators are topped off with some high quality coolant, and keep in mind that first gear is essentially useless in the sand LoL!

Oh! and make sure you make the proper suspension adjustmenst for sand riding, lots of instructions on this site for what is proper... I'll defer that to the experts...

Have fun!

Feanor

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
An aftermarket pipe is certainly not a necessity.

Don't know anything about 'Little Sahara'..but most sand riding around here is sea-level. Proper jetting is a necessity. There is a whole lot of load running a paddle in the sand. Your bike is going to get hot and it's going to use a lot of fuel.

If you're lean, you're asking for it. Don't know what a 220 needs in the sand..but the 200 oem main jet is a 160...I'll generally run a good 2-up from there.

Rule of thumb for sand suspension setup: Two clicks 'up' on everything.

It's a whole lot of work!

...that's why I got a Banshee...;)

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I took my KDX 220 to the Glamis sand dunes last fall and had a good time. You'll definitely need a paddle and be sure to bump the main jet. Just remember that in the sand "there's no replacement for displacement." Therefore I'd try to stay away from long steep hill climbs. The KDX just won't have the ponies to pull those hills like a big bore bike.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I took my stock KDX200 to the dunes for the first time yesterday. Follow everyone’s advice about overheating, jetting, and power. Regarding the stock pipe, I could see how more juice would be a good thing, but stock form was enough to haul my rookie butt around without any steep hill climbs (my first dirtbike/sand experience!).

Oh, and I had an 8 paddle and 12/47 gearing....

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
I took my kdx200 to the dunes last year. not quite enough power. wide open throttle most of the time. couldn't climb the big hills. second day, had some rain so the sand was hard. it was way better. I have a pro-circuit pipe and a paddle tire. However, it was still a blast.

Top Bottom