23jayhawk - RE: WER Installation

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
23jayhawk,

I'll take some detailed digital pictures of the WER mounting either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, and post here or e-mail them to you (send me your e-mail addy). I have an '02 220, so it should be the exact same setup on your bike. I am assuming that you have the same mounting kit that I do.

I did not have to drill anything into the frame gusset. The bracket fit snug up against the steering stem (although I did "snug" it using a small rubber mallet). The thin bolt went through the big (1") hole where the frame gusset meets the steering stem column.

It's also important to make sure that the WER pivot arm is as level as possible. I think I used the thick spacers to get the WER up as high as possible. Also adjust it so that the WER does not act as a steering stop. This will toast the unit in no time. The pictures will be helpful.

I have an X-Mas party tonight, so I may not be able to get to it until Saturday afternoon.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Sorry - fixed the PM. Had stuff in there from 3 months ago! :flame:

The time deal was set at 5 days, so I didn't know. :|

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I have pictures of the WER in my DRN gallery if that will help. I did drill the hole through the frame so make mounting easier and keep it lower so it's easier to mount the light. I recommend the headlight relocation kit they sell.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I've uploaded a few shots of the WER installation. Check them out here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/58122940nvvMgT

Like Fred said, the headlight kit is worthwhile. Reverse/flip up the top headlight brackets that mount your headlight to the triple clamps, as this raises up the headlight about an 1" to give the WER some clearance. You'll still have to trim away part of the bottom of the headlight plastic for complete clearance. A fine-tooth hacksaw blade works good for this.

I used the thick spacers to bring the rear of the arm as far down as possible, and the front part arm as far up as possible so that the arm was parallel to the WER bottom bracket.

Also look at the pictures to see how to attach the rubber straps for securing the lower portion of the headlight to the forks. WD-40 on the tabs that you have to thread through the hole really makes it easy to slip in.

Spend some time adjusting the bar and re-checking after the first few rides to ensure that the handlebars move from lock-to-lock position without hitting the internal limit on the WER. Very important!

Good luck!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Maybe I'm missing 'em...but I don't see spacers between the damper unit and the kdx fender? WER sez they are 'required' on the kdx. I didn't want to use them (the less reduction of fork travel, the better sez me), but did because the shape of the kdx fender made them necessary.

You might want to put a piece of tape over the frame tag to preserve it (again, according to the WER install notes).

...but can I remain irrational as long as they remain insolvent?

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
CC - Although I don't have the bike right in front of me, zooming in on the picture does show the spacers in place. If I'm bottoming out my forks, I've got bigger problems than the bolts rubbing!

Ya, I remember WER recommending coving the tag w/ duct tape. The VIN is still stamped on the frame, and I plan on handing the bike down to my son as opposed to selling it anytime soon. That is if I can hold out long enough until his legs grow!

Have a great holiday!

Attachments

• closeupofspacer.jpg
    closeupofspacer.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Zoom-Zoom!

I seen 'em...I seen 'em!!

Thanks for taking the time to rectify my 'missage'. ;)

'...bigger problems...' Fer shure!

Cheers!

Top Bottom