oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I picked up a used wer steering damper. I had the seller just ship it straight to wer for a rebuild. They don't make a mounting kit for my rmx anymore so I'm going to make the bracket that I'll have to weld to the frame, and modify the bracket the damper sits on.
I've got two questions so that I can start making the weld on bracket.
1. What size bolt attaches the damper are to the frame bracket.
2. How big around is the knuckle right above the bolt (for clearance issues i.e. how far does the hole need to be from the bracket).

I know I could just pay the $16 for the weld on bracket from wer, but they said I'd have to trim it to make it work. If I'm going to have to mod it, why not just make it myself.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
If your going to fab all the mounting brackets I'd just wait another couple of days till I got the damper in. That way you'll know for sure what needs to done.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
The difference between the newer and older RMX brackets is the older has some material removed for the stem tube/lower lip reinforcement; you could buy the newer one and grind it down like I did and be done with it.

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I've already come up with a simple plan for making a really solid weld on. The more I think about it the more I like the sounds of a weld on. Just as easy if not easier to remove welds as it would be to weld holes shut as far as undoing anything to the frame.
Placelast, Was that you and some friends eating at guacamoles this afternoon. I work part time at the little liquor/ wine store that's attached to the restaurant.

Top Bottom