Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
I'm looking into a new bike for later this year, and wanted to gather some opinions from people who own these bikes. I'm 5-10 / 145, ride a KDX 220. It has come time for a new scoot, and I'm looking at both the 250 and the 300, and really don't see a determining factor in tests / or dealer info that would make me want one over the other. I ride on any terrain that I can find, (not picky), but the majority tends to be cross country trails. I have ridden a CR 500 on rare occasion, so I am familiar with Open class power in the woods. Enough about me, what do you guys think?

Have the 250 owners ever wished for more power? Does the 300 tend to beat you around with the power delivery? (It can't be as bad as the CR can it?) In your opinion, would one of these suit me better than the other? Any maintenance issues with either?

All opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kurt

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I rode a 1998 KX 250 and then got a 99YZ400 because I was looking for the "right' power for the woods. I am an intermediate mxer and on edge of being an A off road rider. I weigh 230 lbs with gear and i am not "fat" but fairly strong. I didn't like the abruptness of the KX as the 2 hour races would wear on me. I thought about a flywheel weight but I thought i would like the 4 stroke power instead. the 4 stroke had some advantages but starting and flameouts killed me off road.
i then got an 01 300exc- It is perfect for me. Very seldom do I ride it above 1/2 throttle yet i finished 2nd in the vet class and was in the top 20 a couple of times. This bike is smooth..it does vibrate...but starts the first kick(albeit a firm kick). The bike is simple to maintain(follow some of the trciks such as heim joint protectiona dnclutch hose protection) and lasts forever. I liked my first so much that i sold it and bought another new 01 for almost the same amount of money just to have a fresh bike.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
No doubt, buy the 250exc.

Both my buddies have moved down from the '00 300exc to a '02 250exc this year. They are just as fast and like the luggability of the 250 better than the 300.

They are both desert experts and A enduro riders. Both go in the 170 to 180 lb range. I'm a fatboy on a 380exc, my next bike will be a 250exc.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Thanks guys.

What's this about heim joint, and clutch hose potection? I haven't heard anything about that yet. Could you explain?

Anyone else have an opinion on the bikes?

Thanks
-Kurt

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
The mud flap wears out the heim joint boss on the swing arm...look for this under search or half the post from kdx220rm. The clutch hose rubs on the reed cage and will rub a hole in it eventually. Cut a piece of fule line and put around the clutch hose at this location and it will stop that. Also, buy a spare set of rear wheel bearing and keep in stock (6005 bearings):aj:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
The 250 is a bit sweeter IMO and doesn't give up much to the 300. either one! I ride in the woods and I haven't needed more power than the 250 has but I've only had mine since Nov.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by 94ruck
The mud flap wears out the heim joint boss on the swing arm...look for this under search or half the post from kdx220rm. The clutch hose rubs on the reed cage and will rub a hole in it eventually. Cut a piece of fule line and put around the clutch hose at this location and it will stop that. Also, buy a spare set of rear wheel bearing and keep in stock (6005 bearings):aj:

Here are some alternate suggestions for the above. Cut a 6" or so piece of old intertube and slip it over the bottom leg of the shock and bolt the shock back in. Ziptie it just under the spring. This will keep the flap from rubbing AND help keep mud and water from getting into the heim joint.

Replace the stock clutch line with a SS one. Cheap insurance against rub throughs, which I have seen happen on the trail.

Also replace the stock rear wheel spacers with erider lifetime guaranteed ones. That way you won't go through bearings nearly as often.

I never found the need for more power than my 99 250EXC provided. And I owned a 380 before I got the 250. Much easier to handle in the woods than the 380. The 300 has more down low but I still preferred the somewhat softer, more enduro like lowend of the 250 better. Just a lot less tiring in a 2+ hour HS or 5 hour enduro.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm getting good information that I can use. Opinions from people that have owned / or do own the bikes I'm looking for. MUCH more useful than looking at a mag test for each bike and trying to make decisions that way!! They never really tell you the things you're looking for, just how the bike was to ride for a couple hours. Not how it is to live with it.

Thanks again guys!!;)

-Kurt

If anyone else has a view, let me know.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I say 300

I went from a KDX 200 to a 300EXC. I've never regretted it! I ride Michigan and Wisconsin Enduros, Senior B class. Actually, my first ever dirt bike was the KDX (which I kept/rode for 2 years), and the KTM is my second bike (second year on it this year). I'll say the 300 was an adjustment, but just be responsible with the throttle! Ride it for a while with the stock (way rich) jetting, then dial it in for your riding style -- see the numerous posts on jetting.
IMHO the 300 is a much easier bike to ride than the 250 -- a less abrupt hit. I ride mine all day long using only 2nd and 3rd gears. Its got an incredibly broad power range -- Strick has often called it a Three Stroke, in trying to describe it.
For me, for our Michigan riding, I say 300!

ktmwes

Sep 23, 2000
Originally posted by Creeper9
I'm looking into a new bike for later this year, and wanted to gather some opinions from people who own these bikes. I'm 5-10 / 145, ride a KDX 220. It has come time for a new scoot, and I'm looking at both the 250 and the 300, and really don't see a determining factor in tests / or dealer info that would make me want one over the other. I ride on any terrain that I can find, (not picky), but the majority tends to be cross country trails. I have ridden a CR 500 on rare occasion, so I am familiar with Open class power in the woods. Enough about me, what do you guys think?

Have the 250 owners ever wished for more power? Does the 300 tend to beat you around with the power delivery? (It can't be as bad as the CR can it?) In your opinion, would one of these suit me better than the other? Any maintenance issues with either?

All opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kurt

Man, tough question, heres my 0.02

The 250 has less vibration, less low to mid torque, about the same top end and unfortunatly it lives in the 300's shadow along with it's resell value. The 300 can be a *****cat and sometimes be a little abroupt but nothing that bothersome, after 3 300's since 1998 I tend towards the 300 but have to admit that after riding a 01 250 the pricing could enfluence me more. My 00 300 went over 2 years on the original top end and we could have gotten away with just rings.

Wes

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I ride a 2000 250EXC and couldn't be more happier. The only thing I've done to mine as far as performance wise is Racetech suspension mods, FMF Power II and 2 teeth on the back sprocket added. But as far as motor goes, I'm still running the OEM everything (beside airfilters of course) after buying the bike new in April of 2000. My friend has rebuilt his yammer-hammer twice. Here, I was constantly going in and out of 3rd gear and changing sprockets has completely changed the characteristics of the bike. So what if I lost 15-20 on the top, don't really enjoy going that fast in the dirt anyway. My bike, knock on wood, has been tremendously reliable once you get the jetting figured out. Still has great compression and it rocks my world everytime I'm on it. I can leave it sit for nearly two months with old fuel and she'll start by the second kick everytime.

NOTE: I do not codone riding two years with no piston/ring changes nor do I promote running two month old fuel. ;)

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
300exc no doubt for eastern woods....raced KDX200/220's late 80's mid 90's and switched to the 300exc in 98. Just purchased 02 300exc and this baby rips. Luggable low end with enough rip out the the corners to get you through tight sections fast. If you serious about Enduro/HS....300 is the only way to go.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom