2nd Annual Clear Creek New Years Ride

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Just got the new CCMA (Clear Creek Management Area) map in the mail yesturday and started mapping out our path to despair!
Anyone interested in joining us? Last year Les (Fremontguy) was the only one brave enough to make it...this year we are dragging Natalie (GETMETOCA) with us. If anyone else is interested then by all means come along for the fun! We are planning on leaving early Monday 12/30 and coming home Wednesday 1/1 (we have to keep our trips limited to 2 nights or less due to the reckless 2 year old we leave behind at the G.Parents house) Justin knows the area very well so people who need or want a tour guide should take on this opportunity. I , on the otherhand, couldn't find my way out of a can so don't expect to follow me anywhere.

There wasn't a bunch of noisy campers last year (a small group set off some firecrackers at Midnight but nothing too terribly bad). Hopefully this year we will be the ones making all the noise!

Karna

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Hey, Karna!
I really hope that I can be there with you guys. I think that's the coolest way to spend New Year's holiday!
We just have to work on our schedule......don't know yet.

Mini

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Fe_princess
O.K., now where exactly is Clear Creek?

The exit about an 45 minutes south (Hiway 25) of Hollister. Then it will take another 30 -45 minutes to get to the staging area. Assuming we are meeting at the Wild Boar / Piglet staging area.

Background on Clear Creek, most of it should be a Superfund cleanup site. They used to mine asbestos there. :p It is fairly safe to ride during the winter / spring.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great Jonala, scare everyone away why don'tcha!! :think: :) I'll be sure to boil your minute rice and broccoli in some of that Clear Creek water :debil:

It sounds like the perfect way to spend New Years!

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
Great Jonala, scare everyone away why don'tcha!! :think: :)

Natalie,
I wasn't trying to scare anyone, but I also wouldn't want Fe to go down then see the big warning sign as you enter the staging area.

Clear Creek has the most challenging trails that I have ridden on. That place gives those trail side ratings a different perspective. Easy at Clear Creek would be the Intermediate at Stonyford. Don't want to see difficult as CC. :p

That place made me cry at the Wild Boar last year. :whiner:

Last edited:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Clear Creek has the most challenging trails that I have ridden on. That place gives those trail side ratings a different perspective. Easy at Clear Creek would be the Intermediate at Stonyford. Don't want to see difficult as CC.

Jonala, so you did Wild Boar!!! Wow!
Wild Piglet was my first FAMILY Enduro, and between the course and my new bike I had such a difficult time that I thought I would never do that again! :| But now I would love to go back there! ;)
Because I still have pictures of all the trails in my head, and they are calling me.....

Mini

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Buddy
Oh Natalie,
Minute rice and broccoli? I've been waiting to have one of your famous diners.

For you, Buddy, I'll break out the shrimp kabobs and the Ribeye's!  I'm getting a two burner Coleman for X-Mas from my nephews so I should have all of 4 burners and a grill going - Look Out!

I figured out that I could save space with Minute Rice by using one pot for the rice and veg'du-jour ;)

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
For you, Buddy, I'll break out the shrimp kabobs and the Ribeye's! I'm getting a two burner Coleman for X-Mas from my nephews so I should have all of 4 burners and a grill going - Look Out!

Natalie, you can also use our two burner Coleman!! Hehehe... ;)

Mini

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by FireLily
Jonala, so you did Wild Boar!!! Wow!

I made through check 3. There was a section that scared me to death. I was about to hour out anyway. I was 20 minutes late to the first check.

I'm riding better now. I will have to really think about entering the Wild Boar again. I'm just not that good or serious a rider, to compete in that event.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by Jonala
Assuming we are meeting at the Wild Boar / Piglet staging area.

I belive you mean Oak Flat (cracks me up that some one thought that place was flat).
If I am not busy working on the '03 Boar & Piglet coarses I will be up for some play riding.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Just don't go riding around clear creek by yourself. I've been going there 5 years almost and still don't know it too well. We took a gps saturday which was pretty nice. it's just a HUGE area. there is a road that kind of runs through it which helps...but I've had friends leave bikes out there for a day or more trying to get them out of remote areas.
saturday was some great riding, but have never seen so many people, and they were actually checking stickers...second time I've seen rangers there in 5 years.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Just don't go riding around clear creek by yourself.
second time I've seen rangers there in 5 years.

I went there almost 2 years ago for the first time. I was resting on the side of the road while Buddy was exploring. A rider stopped for me and asked if I'm all right and riding with somebody. I said I'm waiting for my friend, and I'm fine. Then I found out the rider was a ranger. I thought it was very nice of him to check with me. Because I didn't know the riding area was that huge until I rode Wild Piglet.

Mini

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by wsmc831
second time I've seen rangers there in 5 years.

William is there every Fri, Sat, Sun, & Holiday. Kinda hard to notice since he rides a KTM RFS & wears Fox gear. Pretty much generic Creek set up. ;)
My sister is who most people end up running into. She patrols the canyon in a BLM truck. She doesnt ride anymore since her left leg got crushed. She always has toilet paper with her. :)

This year for Thanksgiving the San Benito Sherrifs Dept was brought in to patrol the canyon road. Your green sticker dollars at work. :| Expect to see them there any busy weekend from this point forward.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001

Easy at Clear Creek would be the Intermediate at Stonyford. Don't want to see difficult as CC. :p

That place made me cry at the Wild Boar last year. :whiner:

OK, so what is the terrain like? What are the elevation changes? When you say challenging, do you mean technical, like super tight single track 45 degree switchbacks, or more like my only options are 4foot ruts or gnarly tree roots? :(

Cry? That scares me more than asbestos :scream:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Clear Creek is great. I think you can pretty much find terrain for every skill level. You can either putt on the main road or Jeep trail, or go way into the back sections and find some nightmares. I remember riding there as a kid with my dad. I'd do everything I could to keep up with him. We'd turn a corner and he'd climb up a six inch wide trail with shale drop-offs on both sides. A little scary, but it makes you better.

I usually ride at Hollister with my brother-in-law who had never been to Clear Creek. I finally got to take him out there last year. I told him that one weekend of riding at Clear Creek would make him a better rider than 3 months of riding at Hollister. By the time we left, he believed me.

I don't know everyone's riding skills, but there are lots of trails that are fairly mild and won't cause too much trouble. Don't let the terrain deter you from riding there. It's a blast!

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Fe,
The terrain reminds me of photos from the moon. There are sections that are totally barren of vegetation. Then you turn a corner, you are in a pine forest. Turn another corner manzanita heaven.

There are singltrack trails that begineers will have fun on. While on a begineer trail you can easily get in over your head by taking a offshoot trail from the one you are riding.

A more challenging 2' wide trail would be one which goes up, consisting of loose 4" + size rock, steps ups, and manzanita waiting to snare you and your bike should you make a boo boo.

If the weather cooperates, it will be a fun couple of days. Come on down we'll show you around. Most of us that are going down are mostly B & C riders with a couple of exceptions (A types).

As far as crying, the club used a trail that was cut across a moonscape hillside that scared me. The path was a foot wide, with a 200' drop on my left. :whiner: I didn't realize I had a fear of heights until that moment.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Where's everyone camping? Might head down for a day even though we're going the day after christmas. Was down last weekend but my friend got a flat after only 3 hours so we had to come home...now I'm itchin to get back.

though, I leave monday for 8 days in Hawaii....so I'll get that out of the way first :-)

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Fe,
A more challenging 2' wide trail would be one which goes up, consisting of loose 4" + size rock, steps ups, and manzanita waiting to snare you and your bike should you make a boo boo.

If the weather cooperates, it will be a fun couple of days. Come on down we'll show you around. Most of us that are going down are mostly B & C riders with a couple of exceptions (A types).

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Fe,

Hey Jonala, thanks for the info. I love riding Stoneyford and Middlecreek. I've never been to Clear Creek or even heard what kind of riding is there. I keep thinking of Hollister? Are there long loops? I like them longer rather than short. Do you know your way around pretty good then?
I'll ride anything. I'm fully into riding this season. If you're interested, we're going to Middle Creek next weekend. :flame:

Last edited:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Fe,

No. I don't know my way around ClearCreek. I know some of the trails that branch out from the staging area. Planning long loops are no problem down there. As Karna stated that the BLM finally mapped the area. Justin knows the area, and if Farmer John rides with us, we are set. Farmer John knows the area really well.

wsmc831,
I don't think which staging area has been determined.

Karna, where were you planning to camp?

Top Bottom