3 questions that have been bugging me

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Three things I can't figure out, no real reason for asking but I have just been wondering.......

- There has been all of the talk about front brake hose routing the patented Honda way and then the way all of the other bikes do it until this year when the Honda patent expired. So why does my son's 2002 KX 65 have the same routing as my 2003 CR250? Did the patent only apply to big bikes?

- Why does Honda (possibly other brands as well) have the plastic ring around the the inside end of the throttle tube? Aftermarket grips never really fit right. Are they trying to get you to buy Honda grips that have the detent in them for the plastic ring?

- And lastly, my remaining question. I see people at the track adjusting their chain with a wrench stuck in between the chain and sprocket. What is this all about?

Thanks,

Signed, clueless in California "aka Walt"

scroskrey

Jul 5, 2003
I'll take #3. After turning the adjusters, put a wrench, screwdriver or other similar object in the sprocket and turn the wheel backwards. This will force the blocks forward against the adjuster bolts. This will help you ensure equal adjustment on both sides. When you are happy with the adjustment, tighten the axle nut. Now remove the wrench/screwdriver and re-check the chain slack and alignment.

thirtyfour

Oct 27, 2003
exactly,

usually by placing a 10 mm wrench on top of your rear sprocket and rolling back the tire , not only it will give you tension on both axle block but it also will roughly set your chain slack to where it shoud be.

this is a quick and not the most accurate way of doing it but may be accaptable for a quick track side adjustment

again , keep in mind not all wrenches and screw drivers are the same 10mm what worked for me in the past.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Personally I throw a shop rag in the sprocket so not to damage anything.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I'll take #1

Honda's direct front brake line routing patent only applied to "upside down" forks. When running the lines on conventional forks (like on your KX65), the other manufacturer's could route directly. Yes, Japanese patent laws are really weird.

Thankfully, that patent has expired.... :worship:

adstott

May 23, 2002
#2 I've often wondered the same thing. The only grips that really fit my CR are renthal. I've tried others but there's always a little extra on the end.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Even the Renthals are too long on the throttle side. I sawed mine off with a hacksaw blade a little bit a time then finished it off with a razor blade. Now the grip goes on all the way and you don't have the loose extra part on the end that is easy to rip in a crash. I decided to cut mine off when I looked at the billet aftermarket throttle tubes, they don't have the ridge.

- Walt

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I hate that plastic ring :flame: Every time I look down it reminds me of the all the time I wasted trying to get my renthals to fit over it. :|

mos11b

Feb 8, 2004
throttle tube

Walt Hollis said:
- Why does Honda (possibly other brands as well) have the plastic ring around the the inside end of the throttle tube? Aftermarket grips never really fit right. Are they trying to get you to buy Honda grips that have the detent in them for the plastic ring?

I took a Die grinder with a sandpaper disk and carefully sanded it off… You have to be patient and get it perfectly even and keep from sanding anything but the ring. Now a normal grip fits fine. A cheap fix! But use caution!! If you take the area under the ring down to far you could weaken the throttle tube!

:flame:

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
mos11b said:
I took a Die grinder with a sandpaper disk and carefully sanded it off… You have to be patient and get it perfectly even and keep from sanding anything but the ring. Now a normal grip fits fine. A cheap fix! But use caution!! If you take the area under the ring down to far you could weaken the throttle tube!

:flame:

Good idea, I repaired my slightly torn grip with 3m weather proofing cement just because I knew a new grip would'nt ever fit on right. I did'nt think I ever remember having that problem with different brands, other than Honda

mos11b

Feb 8, 2004
CRSpeedy said:
Good idea, I repaired my slightly torn grip with 3m weather proofing cement just because I knew a new grip would'nt ever fit on right. I did'nt think I ever remember having that problem with different brands, other than Honda

You can also use a Hand file if you don't have an air compressor. :flame:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I used my finger once in place of the wrench. The new renthal sproket and spanking new chain pushed a bunch of sticky chain lube inside my finger.

That was the first time I heard a Dr. say the f word. He could not get the lube out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom