johng723

Jul 19, 2006
I'm looking into buy a trailer for 4 bikes and I was wondering if a 5x10' utility trailer would be large enough? It would be 3 full size bikes and a slightly smaller ttr125. Any ideas or opinions?

fizzle

~SPONSOR~
Apr 21, 2006
I just bought a 5'x10' utility trailer, and had 3 full size MX bikes on it without any problem. With a little arranging, you shouldn't have much trouble fitting 4 bikes on it, especially if the 4th one is smaller. Put two in the front, facing foward, each on the extreme sides of the trailer. Put the other two more in the middle of the trailer, facing backwards on the back of the trailer. All you should have to do is scoot the rear ends of the motorcycles around so they aren't banging into each other and you're good to go.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i am in the same boat as you
i was going to measure the bikes out then measure the trailer
see what i came up with thats all i can figure to do
unless you know someone with 5x10 trailer
for what its worth i can fit 2 125's and a tt125 in the back
of my truck with tailgate down (97 ford flare side with a cross bed tool box) to give you idea of size

johng723

Jul 19, 2006
When I went to go look at the trailers at lowes I noticed that it had a central rail to the hitch instead of the A-frame to the hitch. Would that be a problem? I noticed a few people saying that it is less stable, but also a few people who have been using the lowes trailers with no problem.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i am not sure on that someone else might know
i was going to get a 4x8 trailer from tractor supply the one that is just a frame no floor then get bike rails and have a buddy weld them in

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Put in a deck, not rails.

With a deck, you can stow all kinds of junk between the bikes. Not to mention that it gives you the option of using the trailer for other stuff on occasion.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i was going to put diamond plate box up front by the tounge
so all the gear can be dry and secure
and then any over flow stuff can go right in the bed of the truck

06yz

May 2, 2006
I have a 5x10 and one time I put 2 full size bikes, ttr125, kx65, and a CRF50. Yes, it will accommodate 4 full size bikes.

fizzle

~SPONSOR~
Apr 21, 2006
The 4'x8' trailer is very affordable....around $300 or so. The 5'x10' trailer is about 3X the cost (around $900 from tractor supply). I originally went to tractor supply to get the 4x8 trailer....but after looking at it, I went with the 5'x10' for many reasons (aside from the obvious larger deck space):
1. The 5x10 has 15" wheels, which run way better at interstate speeds, handle bumps better etc... The 4x8 comes with 12" wheels, which are a bit on the small side for interstate driving.
2. The 5x10 has the A-frame tongue, which is more stable than the 'T-frame' tongue, especially for rougher roads (or dirt roads such as the one leading up to my local MX track).
3. The 5x10 has a longer distance from hitch to axle, making it easier to back, and MUCH less succeptable to whipping side to side at interstate highway speeds.

I ended up spending a few more $ than I wanted to, but in the end, I have peace of mind that I can load my bikes, drive 80mph on the interstate, drive on rough gravel roads, without worrying that my trailer will toast the springs, wheel bearings or blow a tire and dump its' expensive cargo. For me, it's well worth the cost.

I have also seen easy modifications to these trailers to give them more deck space. The most common one I have seen is extending the deck flush with the edge of the wheel wells, giving enough room to park 2 large 4-wheelers sideways (or 3 bikes side-by-side).

Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
25 mpg!

I've had the cheapo 4x8 for 13 years now. I still love it! I even bought it used for $150. Here's why I love it-
1- 1st thing I did was have a 1 foot extension welded on each side, as mentioned above by fizzle. Makes it 6x8. I cut holes in the plywood to let the tires pop up through when suspension reacts.
2- When I had the side extensions done, I had all the joints welded. Sturdy compared to just the bolts.
3- The whole thing only weighs about 250 lbs. Hardly anything to tow- gas mileage.
4- It can hold 4 bikes if three front & one backwards. It's set with 3 chocks normally.
5- Light leaf springs equate to perfect suspension for 1-3 bikes. I never tie the back ends down- they never jump around. the suspension is that perfect.
6- I put bearing buddies on it. Just replaced bearings for peace of mind last year.
7- Never a flat/blowout. I put two cheap $18.00 tire/wheels on it about 5 years ago.
8- I have a spare mounted under the back of the deck, out of the damaging sun. It's never in the way or takes up any space.
9- Also last year, I stripped it down. Wirebrushed it, brushed Rustoleum Aluminum looking paint$15.00. New light/wire kit $25.00. New 1/2" Treated plywood deck $50.00.
It really looks and acts like brand new.
10- Each chock really only requires two 1/4" bolts placed toward the cycle, not four. The protruding tubes of the chocks act as leverage. I have t-nuts put in the under side of the plywood. When i want to use the trailer for other uses, I just grab my cordless with a 7/16" nut driver and have a perfectly flat 6x8' in about 4 minutes(6 bolts).
11- This is a great, light, percfect cheap little trailer that does/is exactly what I want from it.
There! Now each of you send me $6.00 for these plans. Then I'll buy an enclosed $3000.00 Featherlite Aluminum framed 6x12" V-nose.
12- Late edit I'm sure he already bought a trailer. Anyway, I checked today, I get 25 mpg running 70 mph pulling it w/my 450 on it with my Town & Country minivan. That's pretty good! Can't get that kind of mpg with a bigger trailer!!

Last edited:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
shawn would the bikes fit without the extension you put on?

i can get a brand new 4x8 trailer frame(no floor) cheap
just do not have the capacity to weld

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
sparkysakitas said:
shawn would the bikes fit without the extension you put on?

i can get a brand new 4x8 trailer frame(no floor) cheap
just do not have the capacity to weld

You're looking at this the wrong way.

This is a prime opportunity to justify buying a MIG welder. ;)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Unless you plan on throwing the welder in the trash when you're done, those won't be the last beads you ever run with it. I'll bet your toolbox has wrenches in it that you've only used once or twice, ever. But they're still in there because when you need that tool, nothing else will do.

Mine was bought for a particular project... about 18 years ago. Since that time it has gone on to do all sorts of projects. Having the ability to stick a few bits of steel together has meant the difference between a simple job and an insurmountable hurdle.

Want to add a toolbox to that trailer? Weld on a few brackets. Did the frame develop a crack? Weld it up. Accidentally rip off the trailer jack on it? Weld on a replacement.

Does one of your buddies need something welded? Weld it for him and make him buy the beer. ;)

Now if a welder isn't in the budget, I completely understand that point because it isn't an inexpensive purchase. But if you're looking at buying a $1000 trailer to get the size you need, one option might be to start with a $400 trailer and a $600 MIG welder and build the trailer you need. You'll be out $1000 either way, but the latter puts a valuable tool in the garage right next to the trailer.

Of course, I've also bought a $1000 metal lathe so I could make a $10 part. :)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I use my welder far more than I ever thought I would. To the original poster, depending on how big the smaller bike is, you might be able to turn is sideways across the back of the trailer. Then run the three full size bike (two facing forward and one backward) across the front.

Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
Sparky- no. 4x8 too small for 4. 3 OK- 2 forward- one backward in the middle.
I think MTK sells welders on the side. I think everyone has a few welder shops in their vicinity. Look for the smaller shops. Stop in and tell them what you are looking for. My extensions are only made of 1 & 1/4" angle iron. I just measured it & actually they are only 8" extensions. The actual width is 5' 8". I know this sounds gay, but I just love that darn little trailer!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I don't sell welders, on the side or otherwise. I just know 1) how useful a welder can be, and 2) how to rationalize new tool purchases. ;)

In fact, I sell beer for a living now. I used to have an engineering job, but I decided to go where the money is. :)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
Shawn007 said:
Sparky- no. 4x8 too small for 4. 3 OK- 2 forward- one backward in the middle.
i only need three bikes to fit
2 125's and a ttr125 or crf 150 something of that size
i can get three bikes into my truck right now the 2 125's forward and the tt backwards so all i need is 4x8 no extensions

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
sparkysakitas said:
thanks for advice kinda pondering welder
(just need to figure out how to get boss to buy it :laugh: )

If by "boss" you mean "wife," you could always do what a friend used to do. He just bought it and put it on his Snap-On account and then brought it home. He had enough other red boxes in the garage that she never noticed one more in there and she also never saw his Snap-On account statements. ;)

Try that at your own risk, of course.

Top Bottom