johng723

Jul 19, 2006
I just bought a 6 and 1/2 x 12' utility trailer and I was wondering how far apart I need to put the wheel chocks so that I can fit 4 bikes. Also how far do the eyebolts need to be for the tiedowns?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I can only get three bikes abreast in my trailer, and one of them has to go in assend first. If I put in a fourth bike, it needs to go widthwise in front of the other bikes.
I suppose you could stagger the middle bike back a bit and get them all the same direction.

I'd set the bike in and see where it sets nicely to one side without the bar touching the side. Do the same on the other side. The reversed bike will need to go in between them.

Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
I think you're on your own here son. You're only going to be able to figure this out by putting bikes in with some help from others. PS- In the long run, it's worth it to put the flush mount type eyelets in. If you put standard eyelets in, they'll always be in your way for cleaning. Menards has the flush mount kind for about $3-4.00 each. Plus, the swivel ring takes up a little slack on your tie downs in the event you take a turn a little too fast. Best wishes.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I'd put the eye bolts on all four corners. Put 2 bikes in forward, and 2 in backward. Share each eye between two bikes and bungee the back tires to the floor, pulling toward the rear of the bike. I would think the best configuration would be as follows, but strap the bikes in before mounting any chocks, Personally, I don't use chocks.
--------
------>
<------
------>
<------
--------

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
johng723 said:
I just bought a 6 and 1/2 x 12' utility trailer and I was wondering how far apart I need to put the wheel chocks so that I can fit 4 bikes. Also how far do the eyebolts need to be for the tiedowns?

have you solved this yet?

i have trailer of same dimensions and think i have solved mathematically and then to confirm it to myself - using powerpoint templates - i plan to try it with bikes tomorrow.

looks like i can fit 4 full size bikes by going diagonal. this way they can go somewhat closer than if they are bar-to-bar. i just wonder if it is good for the bikes to be sideways to the direction of travel as they will sway somewhat if using bikeshoes and not compressing hard with tiedowns. i have seen photos of <a href="http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1815&c=3&userid=19400">MX-727's trailer</a> and he did this diagonal thing with bike shoes - perhaps he can tell us how this worked out.

another method i have looked at is two full size bikes going forward and then the kids/mid-size bikes can go in reverse at the back door. (looks like 4 full size bikes would be cramped this way) with bikeshoes, i can put the rear facing bikeshoes on plywood sheet and remove after i pull these bikes out. you could alternatively put a 2x8 across the back of your rear door frame and tied the bikes down agains that. if your trailer is like mine, there is strong steel hidden behind the tin facia covering the back of the brake lights and wiring. remove the facia, tuck in the wires and put the board in. if you don't have a ramp door, you could use this same board as your ramp too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom