400 EXC tail light to brake light?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I hear the KTM EXC have a dual filament bulb, is this correct?

On my XR I was able to get a switch that replaced the banjo bolt on the rear brake, wire the switch into the rear light and Viola! instant brake light.

So how do you do it on a KTM? Do I need the switch? how do I wire it?

ANy thoughts?

I Really don't want a complete Baja Designs kit, as it is easy in Colorado to dual sport:

Horn, Brake light, mirror and DOT's (although nobody does this one) No need for turn signals etc...

Less is more;)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The switch is a pressure sensor that bolts into the rear brake master cylinder. You will need to locate the tail light wiring and splice in. It should not be too difficult. My 380 was dualsported (no kit-homemade), but my memory is a little foggy. That was 3 years ago.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
My 00' EXC had a factory brake light switch and dual filament tail light assy but wasn't wired. I spliced into the hot wire before the headlight switch and ran wiring to the brake light switch and back to the open connector going into the tail light wire harness. If yours doesn't have the switch, there must be a KTM part you can order from a dealer. I think it's probably like your XR and replaces the banjo bolt.

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
I asked this same question the other day on www.NEdirtbikes.com and this is what I was told by a guy who had a local ktm dealer wire it in for him.
"I think you need a resistor too. Find the two wires going to the rear brake light. I think the non-white wire is the hot lead. You should need to place a resistor in line with this lead. Cut and solder the resistor just in front of the air box. You will be able to hide the resistor in the small gap, Then take the two leads from you brake switch and solder to eithor side of the resitor. Dont forget to wrap the joints with tape or shrink tube.
The way it works is the power is going through the resistor at all times which gives a "dim" tail light. When you hit the brake switch, the current bypasses the resistor, provides full voltage and gives the illusion of a brake light."

My dealer mentioned the method kdx file mentioned which I believe eliminates the need for a resistor.

Top Bottom