Tail light into brake light

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I need to turn my tail light into a brake light.

The light has a dual element and 3 wires coming off of it. The wires are blue, yellow and black. The yellow wire is hanging free above the airbox. Is this where you connect in the light switch?

Also how exactly do you wire a hyd. brake switch. The switch has 2 leads. I assume 1 goes to the yellow wire, but where do I pull the power for the other lead?

The bike is a 2001 WR250F - Canadian Model

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hi Jeff. Good to see you on Thumper Central. This is where the big kids hang out.;)

I dont believe that tail light is DOT legal. Also, I have not installed a dual sport kit on a wr yet, so, I'm not sure about the wiring. I'll bet we could figure it out though.

Check on ThumperTalk. Do a search, I remember someone talking about wiring that tail light up to use both filiments.

Good luck with your new piglet.

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Thanks

I do have the manual but I still cant figure it out..

How about you Scar... Where you at????

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by Ol'89r
Check on ThumperTalk. Do a search, I remember someone talking about wiring that tail light up to use both filiments.

Wow...Find the info in 2 minutes..

Thanks again

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jeff. Sounds like you may have found the info you were looking for. If not, I checked the manual for the 400 and it shows the yellow wire as the hot wire from the lighting coil to the headlight switch. Then, from the switch to the headlight it goes to a blue wire.

If your 250 has the same color wires, then, I would splice off of the yellow wire, before the head light switch for the power to the brake light switch.

You could also take it off of the blue wire, but, the brake light would only work when the head light switch was on.

Ol'

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Actually I would like the brake to run only with the lights on.

Thanks for the help.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by P. Pinestraw
HelpI'm interested in getting a headlight for my enduro bike that runs on small store-bought batteries. I heard that they are out there. WHERE?

This is what I did on my better half’s XR100. I got a battery operated bicycle light and a enduro headlight SHELL. I cut a piece of clear plastic for a lens and bolted the bicycle light to the head light shell. I then put a tail light from Dennis Kirk on the back but put a Maglight bulb in it. I connected the bulb to the switched side of the bicycle light and now she is legal to ride the forest trails in MN. It will get you home after dark, but I wouldn't want to ride it in the dark. The batteries last a LONG time too, go figure.

Kevin

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom