MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I found a, I belive, 1976 IT175 I may be geting in a week or so. It's the ORIGINAL owner of this bike, his grand kid's wanted nothing to do with it so he is selling it, he said once he gets all the extra parts from his son (extra BRAND NEW gas tank, head light, fender and a buncha spare parts that he dosen't rember). He told me it ran when he parked it there a few years ago and hasent tried to start it since. I'm just waiting on this guy to call me back ( I shuld try and stay offline then huh lol). I figure I'll take it no matter what. . .he only wants $50!!!!! I'm just woundering what people think of this bike, whats comen problems and what not. . .just anything I shuld know. Thanks :yeehaw: (I hope I get this bike!! This will make 3 dirt bikes hehe ((and I'm only 15)) :thumb: )

Last edited:

03YZ85Rider

Aug 8, 2003
Those old Yamaha Enduros are sweet, I used to have a 76 or so DT175 and it was awesome. It had an unbelievable amount of torque for only a 175cc engine. The only problem I ever had was it needed points which were pretty cheap anyway. I put DT250 rear shocks and forks for a little extra travel and clearance too. That brand new gas tank is worth a couple times as much as you are paying for the bike so I'd say you are getting a darn good deal.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Yeah I was looking on Ebay and a gass tank for that bike was goin for about $50 its self. Unless something goes realay wrong I'll have this bike in about two weeks, Just waiting on his son to bring the parts over. . .I don't get why he wouldn't let me give him the money and take the bike rite then and there. But he put the bike in the garage befor we left and he promised he wouldn't sell it to any one else. I'm just realy shocked that its the original owner and the thing is like mint. . .just needs a good washing. I'm one lucky kid lol allredy have a YZ,Z50, and two go karts hehe.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I had a '78. This bike gave me the combination I needed to go from a B/C MR250 Elsinore rider to an A (family enduro class).

The few problems I had were weak 3rd gear, spark arrester mount, and sagging pegs (cheap metal); all can be easily fixed except the transmission failure. The rear shock (pre-aluminum body and no reservoir) would fade in series of whoops but it was so light and snappy I could skim the tops of them. Other than that it wasn't a torque machine as others may think but rather a screamer; could hang in there with MXers and was really fun to wick the throttle and break loose the back tire. It had an odd relaxed steering rake but short wheelbase. I briefly rode a PE175 and the latter would cut inside of the IT and had lighter feeling, more precise steering, but the IT had more snap, upper rev boost and was actually lighter when pushed about/picked up. Plus it was the best looking bike of the era with the sky blue and yellow backgrounds.

I had White Bros. extend the shock, and I put Terry cable extended-travel rods in the front. A YZ125 kick stand mated up well with the new 10" of travel (7.5 was stock.)

I have the Dirt Bike write up but since I'm in the middle of the move you'd have to wait for a photocopy. millenniumdsj@hotmail.com

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Upon doing some reserch it may be a DT175 (as it is an orang color like the DT's) I honestly don't know as I have not seen the bike my self, my Dad did and is who talked to the man about it, I'm going on what he has told me about the bike. Does any one have any thing to say about the DT175 as well? Thanks! :thumb:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I've never ridden a DT 175 but I do own a DT400 which works ok, the
IT was an enduro bike unlike the DT which is street/dirt. It's more of a foofoo bike than anything serious.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Orange??? 1976 er???? Im with Pantera I dont think they made them in 76. If its orange it would have to be a DT175. If its in good nick it will make a fun play bike.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
1976 was the first year for IT 175 and they were special order only. I had one and waited 3 months for it to arrive. The next year they went mass production and the price dropped. It is easy to tell the difference between a DT and an IT.

1. IT has a blue plastic tank and the DT tank is metal.
2. The IT rear swing arm is set up for quick tire changes and the rear is open so the axle can slide straight back.
3. The rear brake adjuster on the IT is spring loaded for quick disconnect.
4. Above the axle nut on the IT swing arm a hook is welded for holding the brake line while changing the rear tire.
5. The DT has a battery and turn signals.
6. Last of all the DT has a key and the IT has a kill button.

I hope this helps.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I have 2 DT175's one is mint the other is parts but I think they are a decent bike i mean you aren't going to tripple any jumps but they are reliable as hell (all things considering eg. points replacement often) handleing well its like any other 70' jap bike suspention is terribly under dampended and over sprung, If it has the "thermo-Flow" shocks (ones with resevoirs) they are almost as good as Betor shocks found on european bikes of the day. actualy it will make a damn good comutor bike (for school) that your can take in the dirt, provided it has a title. Those old bikes are fun even with their limitations. hope ya get it

RIDE ON!!

Top Bottom