toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
I'm helping a friend get a barn bike back on the trails, 83 Yamaha IT175. So far we have put on a new top end and got it running but his clutch basket is shot and the fuel tank is cracked. Does anyone here know of a place to get these parts? Weve checked on the auction site and found some parts but not what we need. I also found a scrap-yard with some parts but the way they are priced they must be gold plated. Any leads would be appreciated.

Todd

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
i had the exact same problem with my 83 It175 when i had it, i decided to sell it as a clutch was not cheap. the only place i know of is bikebandit.com

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Thanks! I was wondering if it shares the same basket as a YZ, it would definetely make sense for Yamaha to do that. Thanks for the links!

Todd

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
try dave at dirt cycle salvage-1-508-478-5700
whats wrong with the clutch? basket have grooves in it?,file them down smooth again
yea this works,like new
old trail tech tip from dirt rider magazene lol

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
j32 said:
try dave at dirt cycle salvage-1-508-478-5700
whats wrong with the clutch? basket have grooves in it?,file them down smooth again
yea this works,like new
old trail tech tip from dirt rider magazene lol

Thanks for the input, I did file the groves in the clutch basket but the grooves were so deep that I ended up taking a lot of material off, I'm just concerned that the clutch plates will have too much play.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Filing the grooves is a band-aix fix at best. If you are to the point where your clutch is grabbing because of the grooves, a new clutch basket is in your near future.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
Masterphil said:
Filing the grooves is a band-aix fix at best. If you are to the point where your clutch is grabbing because of the grooves, a new clutch basket is in your near future.

I agree, So far all of the online parts places I've checked state the basket as "discontinued". I have found a few through used parts dealers on the internet but most are already grooved or as bad as the one I'm working with. I kind of wish I hadnt filed down the grooves and got a machine shop to tig weld some filler material in the grooves so I could refinish it back to stock specs.

Top Bottom